Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

lovely day here in Meath with good spells of mild sunshine. Hopefully we can dodge most of the rain or showers over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Irish people turning to Norweigan state forecaster for their weather updates:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/irish-say-norways-weatherman-has-better-crystal-ball-cwf0brf9q

• Registered Users Posts: 10,652 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Personally I think the Met Eireann forecasting has been extremely accurate for Dublin this year — I reckon the real reason yr.no is gaining a lot of usage is because (a) it's the much prettier looking app and (b) App store algorithms will promote a popular global app much higher than an app that only serves one country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭compsys

MJohnston wrote: »
    Personally I think the Met Eireann forecasting has been extremely accurate for Dublin this year — I reckon the real reason yr.no is gaining a lot of usage is because (a) it's the much prettier looking app and (b) App store algorithms will promote a popular global app much higher than an app that only serves one country.

The Met E website and app are both awful - the user experience is poor even if the forecasting is correct.

And of course the graphics on TV and online look like something from the 1980s.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I know a lot of photographers who use Yr.no (including myself) for the sole purpose of the cloud type forecasts which can be hit or miss like other forecasts but it can allow us to prepare for a sunrise and sunset - the best times of day to photograph - in advance as well as moonrises. It's not the only one but it is the one I see most use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,652 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

compsys wrote: »
    The Met E website and app are both awful - the user experience is poor even if the forecasting is correct.

I don't mind it, I find it very functional at least, and I trust their data more than most other services other than the raw charts. But I do frequently want to volunteer my CSS skills to ME :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Every time I go on their website it has a seizure trying to load the radar but after 10 seconds its grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

compsys wrote: »

I have the Met E app on my phone but thinking of scraping it. Every time I go into to check radar etc I get 'location not found' so naturally it just zooms into Dublin. Now, Dublin is great and everything, but I would prefer to see the conditions of my own region by default.

Yr.no is a recommended app, because it gives you a fair idea of what the max/min & rainfall amounts will on any particular day. With the Met. E app, you just get a 'noon' day temp (for Dublin :rolleyes:) in the quick overview section.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭sporina

nah, my hiking mates and I use it cos its usually the most reliable.. we use it in conjunction with the Mountain Forecast app...

Yesterday's report

Highest rainfall- Finner camp 34.2mm
    Lowest- Sherkin island 1.6mm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Dunsany is already getting close to 23mm of rain for the month of July and we're only a few days in. I doubt we will finish up as wet as last July but this month could be fairly wet as well. Not much sign of the weather settling down either other than a dry day here and there.

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Yesterday's report

Highest rainfall- Finner camp 34.2mm
    Lowest- Sherkin island 1.6mm

A lot of amateur stations around the Kildare region recorded near to above 40mm yesterday. We need more official stations (since this is the only data considered by the Met) as a lot of weather is missed out on on a pretty regular basis.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    A lot of amateur stations around the Kildare region recorded near to above 40mm yesterday. We need more official stations (since this is the only data considered by the Met) as a lot of weather is missed out on on a pretty regular basis.

Yes. Away from the coast its poor coverage. If I remember correctly somewhere in South Leitrim recorded 50mm yesterday. Stats I posted were just from the main stations on latest reports.

Yes. Away from the coast its poor coverage. If I remember correctly somewhere in South Leitrim recorded 50mm yesterday. Stats I posted were just from the main stations on latest reports.

Fair play and my post wasn't a dig or anything. Was just saying that because of the poor coverage of 'official' stations that there is much weather missed out on a regular basis that will never be officially logged. Lost in the fogs of history forever.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

35mm in Sligo in past 2 days with much more to come. Could be 100mm in places by July 10th but nearer 50mm in others

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Gonzo wrote: »
    Dunsany is already getting close to 23mm of rain for the month of July and we're only a few days in. I doubt we will finish up as wet as last July but this month could be fairly wet as well. Not much sign of the weather settling down either other than a dry day here and there.

Carlow weather hinting at high pressure from the 13th?

Fair play and my post wasn't a dig or anything. Was just saying that because of the poor coverage of 'official' stations that there is much weather missed out on a regular basis that will never be officially logged. Lost in the fogs of history forever.

Yes I've often thought that myself loads of times. If I was rich I would donate them a chunk of money to set up more stations across the country. I've no idea how much funding they get but I would guess there would be plenty of farmers happy for them to record on their land. Like MarineLayer for example haha. Surely its got to improve at some stage.

Carlow weather hinting at high pressure from the 13th?

That may or may not happen, the ECM and GEM show heights rising from the 13th but it's on a knife edge with low pressure just sitting off the north coast of Scotland and to our north-west. The GFS brings that low pressure right over Ireland on the 13th/14th. If we do get any high pressure it looks like it will be short lived.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

How do you rate Accuweather?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Yes I've often thought that myself loads of times. If I was rich I would donate them a chunk of money to set up more stations across the country. I've no idea how much funding they get but I would guess there would be plenty of farmers happy for them to record on their land. Like MarineLayer for example haha. Surely its got to improve at some stage.

Most farmers wouldn't. Trust me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Just looked at the weather station having been out in the garden yesterday.

We had 36mm of rain in June. Only 6 days into July and I'm showing 40mm.very welcome as the ground was still dry.

Can the sun come out to play now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭batistuta9

I have the Met E app on my phone but thinking of scraping it. Every time I go into to check radar etc I get 'location not found' so naturally it just zooms into Dublin. Now, Dublin is great and everything, but I would prefer to see the conditions of my own region by default.

Yr.no is a recommended app, because it gives you a fair idea of what the max/min & rainfall amounts will on any particular day. With the Met. E app, you just get a 'noon' day temp (for Dublin :rolleyes:) in the quick overview section.

Use the search to manually enter your location & it'll save it and default to there when you use it again. You can have multiple locations too

• Registered Users Posts: 24,360 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Use the search to manually enter your location & it'll save it and default to there when you use it again. You can have multiple locations too

yeah it serves up Birr to me every time because once I searched for Birr

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Cant fault the met eireann app myself. Think it's quite straight forward to use. Put in your location or any location in the search icon and you can swap between them quite easily.

It's definitely the most accurate for our weather. But given our islands locale you do need to check it regularly as things can change pretty quickly.

I'm in Dublin but use it all over the island and never had ant issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Another day in paradise :(

East Cork, lashing rain since 7am.

lawred2 wrote: »
    yeah it serves up Birr to me every time because once I searched for Birr

Only I've never searched for Dublin. :o

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Anyone on their holidays now this week let’s say since Saturday God help them if they are in the sunny south east. Saturday was ok not summery but ok, Sunday a pure joke, yesterday again ok but ya wouldn’t be getting excited and today miserable again. Hopefully picks up the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Cool breezy and wet here in Castlebar

chilly and heavy drops appearing now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭sporina

Miserable day here in C. City grrr... don't even wanna talk about it grr

Advertisement