Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

I've seen some amazing thunder storms on Lake Garda, every year in August. Especially if you head to Riva right beside the mountains.

We know now when it's coming across the mountains but force of it is unreal. We ran back to our hotel one night + got soaked to skin with about 300m left to get into our hotel!

Thunder and lighting for hours on end at night + lovely sunny blue skies in the morning!

Ah Gonzo stop you must have worn them during the heatwave! My husband never wears them in Ireland either but they came out that week!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Nice bit of sunshine this evening in NCD but would that poxy wind ever feck off.

Trying to enjoy my dinner outside but as a woman with long hair it's my hair I'm eating it half the time!

It's tied up now out of the way!

• Advertisement

It's unreal, some of continental guests do be giving out about the rain, but us Irish don't mind it at all. Its still roasting + mainly only at night. We sit out on balcony + watch if for hours from safe distance!

We can nearly time it to a tee, because all the waiters in restaurants start pulling in the tables or bring out the awings so we know, time to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭esposito

Thanks for that appledrop. You’re really whetting my appetite for the trip! Your description sounds amazing, dying to see a thunderstorm there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

This chart shows the daily average rainfall total (a singularity if you like) for Newport for the period 2005 to 2020 for the warm season months.

and black line represents 7 day running average. A clear trend emerges that shows August getting gradually wetter, with higher daily totals in Newport as the month wears on and a trend which continues into September (though on a less frequent basis) Higher daily totals seem to decrease somewhat during the second half of September, but with less number of drier days.

Data from Met Eireann.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭pauldry

Some bad flooding down the park just now and Lough Gill has reached its capacity too so overspilling everywhere. Even parts of Park that never flooded before are under water.

More rain tonight but that wind and rain yesterday and especially last night was seriously heavy.

Wet weather gets wetter by the year.

Was wild and drizzly here in Galway last night but pretty much an average day today with just broken cloud and limited sun. Hard to believe that Sligo is just up the road really.

New Moon

• Advertisement

Most of the weather in 2021 has come from the North and Northwest so Galway doesn't be impacted as severely as places like Sligo Leitrim and Donegal where it has been a freezing dull wet year bar 10 days

Indeed, but change those winds around to the south and southwest under similar frontal low conditions and Galway/west Mayo will become the places not to be.

New Moon

Agreed. Also August in Markree is its 3rd wettest month of 2021 so far with only 1 week gone 115mm

Seems like you are getting what we got here in Galway during August 2019. Over 260mm here during that month and just shy of 300m in Athenry to the south of here. What rainfall has occurred here this August so far has been pretty much 'standard' by comparison.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

God what a sh*tty month. It's rained everyday for the past I don't even know how long. Not having a nice time in West Clare weatherwise.

What's all this sh*te people keep telling me about a heatwave? No signs of one whatsoever from what I see?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

13.4 mm in Oranmore since 7 AM 😙

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

When it comes to the argument over whether August is summer I think the reality is we don't get anywhere close to 3 months of summer in Ireland even in a good year. June tends to be Spring-like in a lot of ways and August is definitely autumnal more years than not

79mm of rain in Sligo in total for Thursday Friday Saturday and Sunday.

Higher in Markree

Meanwhile

No mention so far today that I've heard on how climate change will lead to colder winters in Ireland and Northern Europe

I guess it doesn't suit the narrative

It was discussed on CNN last night alright

August sucks more often that not in Ireland, in other countries it’s the hottest month of the year, and dry enough too. The old Irish seasons make sense here.

may is nearly always a better month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭esposito

Colder winters?! I thought it was the opposite?

ahh the penny has dropped. The Gulf Stream could be cut off or weakened. I suppose it’s plausible..

That new narrative comes from a paper on climate change. It depends on the Gulf Stream collapsing. Until then winters will be warming.

Or maybe the AMO is going into a cooler phase, as it was long expected to do sometime during this decade. This will result in cooler and stormier winters generally over northern Europe.

New Moon

I tend to think that Climate Change is now irreversable so that paper is a complete waste of time.

Leaders will do nothing.

They were warned years ago and now weve passed the tipping point.

Floods Heatwaves and Droughts are making news annually now. Not once in a 100years.

Still thats just my opinion and Im entitled to it.

In other news the sun is out today after the weekend monsoon. 18c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭compsys

The average temp in Ireland in May is around 11º.

In August it's about 15º.

That's a huge difference.

May might feel warmer but I don't think there's ever been a month in history where May was warmer than August in Ireland.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

One of the main reasons August is warmer than May is those night time temperatures. May can still get frosty nights which we had this year but in August night time temperatures are genearaly around 10C or higher but do cool down a bit towards the end of the month. Daytime temperatures in May can be higher if the weather is decent. Daytime temperatures in August can go higher than May but as is often the case we take the full belt of an Atlantic flow most Augusts so daytime temperatures are not where they should be much of the time.

A hot feeling day and a cool night is my idea of heaven.

anyway the sun is strong, in May, stronger in late May than all of august. This isn’t measured in air temperatures, but I had plenty of hikes this May where I had to lose my jacket, when the temperature was supposedly cool

We haven’t really passed the “tipping point”. Things are getting worse as expected.

the tipping point rhetoric is self defeating.

Some nice looking towers here about 15 mins ago over towards Roscommon direction.

New Moon

• Advertisement

Gonzo has a point. May often can feel warmer in the day as it tends to be sunnier than August but is is also cooler at night. August is warm both day and night (due to increased humidity, in no small part due to much warmer sea temps)

New Moon

Advertisement