Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭lolie

After what was a wetter than expected morning with at least 100mm fallen since the dry spell it turned out a very nice day after, it got up to 19c with long sunny spells.

The Perseid meteor shower is forecast to peak tonight, looks like clear skies for most and no moon to drown them out for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭sporina

twas a glorious eve here in Cork City - to me, the perfect summer's eve - perfect blue skies - gentle breeze.. not too hot.. twas delightful

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

Didn't bother going out in North Kildare after I got home from work this evening. There was a bit of a cool breeze and it was not that warm in general, probably below 20°. Had that early autumn feeling, hopefully there'll be a late summer warm spell in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭zisdead

Which totally sums up for me how unbelievably extreme that Canadian record of 49.6 C was, and set above the 50th parallel to boot.

Still warmer than the all-time European record just set and warmer than that all time high of 49 C in Tunis you mentioned (a bone dry in summer north African city with the Sahara desert to its South and within its country borders !!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,530 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I went out to trampoline last night as Met.ie said there would be a yellow wind warning for Donegal from 6am.

Gusts up to 90km to 100km/hr.

Got up this morning and hardly a breeze.

Accuracy was a bit off yesterday too. I watched the forecast on Tuesday I think, and I remember seeing Thursday - Sunday having a lot of rain. Yet yesterday it was only overcast in the morning, and I was sitting out in lovely sunshine for a few hours yesterday afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ascophyllum

Some surprisingly severe gusts in West Mayo along the coast, lots of people got a shock this morning I'd say with summer items taking flight outside their houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

What an outburst of rain this morning in West Clare, temporarily flooded the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Very active front that. Very heavy rain and stong winds for about 40 minutes. Suns out again behind it

Lovely sunny morning now in north Donegal.

Wind getting up a little, but nothing bad so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Nothing so far here in Firhouse D24 but I can hear the wind beginning to intensify over the last hour or so........

No rain forecast to hit us until about 3pm we'll see about that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭Dazler97

God I miss firhouse my home place, its blustery here in Carrick on Shannon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭pad199207

Becoming quite windy in Kildare now with gusts of 60kmh

Well the sun didn't last long.

Overcast and raining now. How quickly the weather changes in this country.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Lovely bright breezy morning here in Kerry, quite mild at 17.6C, loads of fresh air, very little rain from the front with just 0.4mm recorded.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Windy and very cool here in Meath, feels like mid to late October.

Raining for past hour in Meath, cold, wet and windy. Turned the heating on for an hour.

Post edited by Gonzo on

2 heavy showers here near Arklow

Breezy

Otherwise a gorgeous day nudging 20c again

My current view on the farm-blue sunny sky

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The afternoon has been a big improvement after a windy, chilly and wet first half of the day. Temperature back up to 19C.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Turned the heating on!! Jaysus it's not even remotely close to being cold.

I haven't had the heating on in my gaff since the end of April and don't expect to switch back on until end of September or even October at the earliest.

Gonzo has a low tolerance for summer temps below 25c,he told us the other day

His chosen country to live is Ireland 🤣🤣🤣

What a strange day.

Its alternated between beautiful sunshine, then heavy rain, then sunshine, then rain.......all day.

Currently a lovely evening.

Winds didn't get anywhere near predictions. Thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

grand day in NCD

It was chilly earlier when I posted that with winds, sideways rain and on the back of several cool and wet days. My house is an old one and cools down very quickly once the warm weather retreats. The past 2 to 3 weeks has been a washout here with the exception of one day (last Thursday). June and first 3 weeks of July were lovely and warm throughout but this August has been awful. It's the dampness of every day that just makes me feel cold.

I do love cold, frost and snow in the winter from a continental source which can feel alot milder than wet, windy Atlantic driven days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I'm in Kerry this week Meteorite. If I had listened to the weather forecast last weekend I wouldn't have even travelled - lots of rain forecast every single day. In reality we have had a great week with long spells of sunshine every day and very little rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I can't understand how anyone can be cold at this time of year. Today was breezy, the odd shower and some broken nice sunshine, but at no stage did it ever feel remotely cool even. Like any August, or any summer month, there is that constant dull warmth in the air that rain or shine, polar or tropical, wind or calm just cannot shake off.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

Was same for us last week. No point paying too much heed to forecasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

I found it generally cool today too (North Kildare). Was mild in the early to mid afternoon when the sun was out for an hour or so but had to be out of the breeze to not feel cool. Went for a short walk in the early evening and I had heavy hoodie on and zipped up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

That's great ye are having a good time in Kerry Rebelbrowser, very glad too that it hasn't been anywhere as bad as initially predicted and an added bonus with the fronts going through the last couple of nights and clearing early in the morning, two nights ago had a good drop of about about 5mm and just 0.4mm last night and only 8.2mm in the last 5 days. On Holidays myself this week, never seen the mountains and landscape look so good going and coming from South Kerry on Weds and yesterday evening was out around North Kerry taking pictures and rambling about and just loved the freshness and quality of the air and light, loads of farmers cutting silage and turning hay and the evening light was radiant with golden light off the fields of wheat and barley. Today again a pleasant surprise, mild and breezy and had a great long walk along a part of the coast looking for old bottles with my young fella.

Tomorrow should hold mainly dry again with sunny spells. Hope to get out litter picking at the local strand as suggested by my son after watching the news tonight about 'The Amigos of the Earth' group collecting litter along the Dublin coast, good influence the news tonight ! 😀

Sat looking wet but a bit of interest to see if thunderstorm potential will come to pass in the Southern half of the country.

Clear in Arklow at the moment

Saw 2 shooting stars in about 10 mins looking NE

I thought there'd be more

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Yeah, in South Kerry too and stunning pics this week on the Ring of Kerry looking over toward Beara and then out to the Skellings, at Molls Gap yesterday and today went briefly back to Co. Cork and incredible views at the Caha pass above Glengarriff. Tis a pretty country when the sun shines alright....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

'Like any summer month'???

Nah. I don't recognise this phenomenon at all. In fact the utter opposite is my experience in this local area. The seasons all mingle. Last week the relentless rain had no warmth to it. Cold in every aspect.

Advertisement