Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭glightning

🤣

At least we can agree on the boringness of the climate!

I agree that it is not "cold" in Ireland during the summer. How can it be with an average 850mb temp of around 6c in July and August and a location on the eastern edge of a huge ocean with a mean wind flow from the west and a very long ocean track for air to become mild and moist? But I wouldn't call it warm, or uncomfortably warm either....

"Mild, cloudy, and wet all year round" would be the most accurate description for Ireland's climate.

With almost zero continental influence of any kind, and a latitude of 50 to 55 deg north, almost persistently north of the jet stream in summer, the only thing Ireland can expect most of the time is relatively cool and wet air compared to the entire rest of Europe.

That aside, I'd say that the vast majority of the public would agree that the ideal temperature range in high summer months should be 21c to 26c daily max (70's F) with a 15c to 20c overnight min (60's F). 50% sunshine hours or more. This is what most people would consider nice comfortable summer weather that you can truely get out and about and enjoy. Plan events with friends and know that you'll actually be able to have the events and enjoy them.

The most annoying thing about Ireland's summer is actually the lack of predictability of the weather. Not knowing whether you can plan an event for a particular date, or pay good money for an event out somewhere (e.g. outdoor concert, an airshow, day to the beach, having friends over for a nice outdoor BBQ, etc). It's always a guessing game with the weather. And usually most events are rained out (it always seems to rain on that day!).

In other countries, it's the reverse. It's more likely to be at least OK on the day. Perhaps great depending on just how reliable the climate is in that country. Something the people of those countries take for granted, but certainly you cannot on this island!

I was actually over in London last week for four days and I must say it was vastly better than here at home despite the UK being under a deep low at the time. London was just far enough south and east to escape most of the weather. We had sunshine each day for almost all of the daylight hours except for a thunderstorm on Thursday evening and some rain on Sat morning. Max temps were 23, 22, 21, 22, and it stayed around 20c until 9pm each evening. 17c after midnight and first thing in the morning. It's probably the closest place to here where there is at least some kind of consistency in summer climate. They can pretty much bank on most summer days reaching 21 to 23c as a given. High pressure or not. And I'd easily take our summers simply being more like an average London day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

Pretty much guaranteed every summer in some locations, yes, however at my location it was in the top three in intensity (subjectively) in the 12 years living at my current location when I've been at home to witness it. Have not seen rain as intense at any other locations in the country during that time.

It's most definitely not perishing outside though. Why you've introduced that description of the temperatures today is further damaging you're capability of describing the terms for given temperatures. You could be sarcastic but then again to use the word "warmth" to describe the feeling of the temperatures today as per your earlier post also sounds like sheer sarcasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

Light rain is back again in North kildare. Wind still very light and humidity is very high, so much so that I broke a slight sweat from my brow as I had a heavy hood up to try keep dry. Temperature is now up to a fairly mild 16.7°l.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭pad199207

Heavy drizzle in Kildare, the stuff that absolutely drowns ye

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Heavy rain for the last half hour in west cork, easing slightly now. Drizzle all morning though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

" They can pretty much bank on most summer days reaching 21 to 23c as a given. High pressure or not. And I'd easily take our summers simply being more like an average London day". - Glightning

That range of temps in SE England is their standard summer average really, which I suppose feels cool to them given that they rarely if ever experience actual cold weather. I think anyone who has flited between the UK and Ireland will notice that there is a dank chill in the air in Ireland during the late autumn and winter that isn't felt in the UK, even if temps might actually be lower there.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭lolie

Damp overcast day here in south Cavan.

Some light rain earlier but it went through fairly quick.

15c calm and feels mild out.

Compared to yesterday which even though it was 16 almost felt cool in a strong breeze, though it might not be safe to say that in here looking at the last few pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Very autumnal day in west cork anyway. Heavy mist all Day with bursts of heavy rain. About 15 degrees out but feels cooler with a chilly breeze. You'd miss the heatwave! :P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Continously raining all afternoon in Cork City :/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

Rain since about midday.

Leitrim

• Advertisement

Heavy rain has reached Arklow

Was dry up until now

• Registered Users Posts: 14,152 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I was cold today anyway cycling home from the gym this morning, today is miserable in Dublin, you could have a day like this in December or any time of year really. August is just horrible in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭boetstark

15 degrees and rain in raheen Limerick. How anybody can describe this as anything but cool and miserable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Really poor day in East Cork. Dank and gloomy. Hasn’t been a great summer at all here. Mild but very cloudy a lot of the time.

It didn't feel cold today when I was out and about working in a t shirt

But its not pleasantly warm this evening by a long shot

Dreary

Wet evening in Croker,but I think the sun's out in the other 31 counties 🤣🤣

Temperatures are running close to average for August so far. Any warmer and you'd be talking proof of climate change. What exactly do you want exactly?

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Home with a bang today. From high 30s/low 40s in the Med to 15 and rain at home. The grass really has grown, though.

Drove the length of Sardinia early this morning and it's so amazing to see the amount of major irrigation systems gushing out water like there's no tomorrow, and this in a region that gets practically no rain in the summer months. Toral annual rainfall is a little less than Ireland but they never run out of water during the summer due to a major reservoir construction project in the '60s. Of the 39 lakes on the island, 38 are artificial and combined hold a total of 1.6 billion cubic metres (or tonnes) of water, which works out as 1 million litres per person. Makes you wonder why we get hosepipe bans after a few dry weeks here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭pauldry

So sheets of the heaviest dank wettening mist all day in Castlebar but only 3mm of rain n lots of merriment.

What are posters views on the disgraceful forecast by met eireann on Thursday.

The Irish independent quoting met eireann forecast of Indian summer from 20th of August. Two weeks of settled weather with widespread sunshine.

I see no such weather on their website for next weekend. I think it's a cynical attempt to get people to book stay cations.

I know some people I work with that have booked holidays based on this forecast.

They should be strung by their b@lls if this forecast is bull, which I suspect it is

• Advertisement

I think your rage is misplaced there. You should be mad at the "journalist" in the Indo who wrote that clickbait article and also at yourself for believing it.

Met Éireann don't do two-week forecasts. Can you link the article so we can see what they actually wrote?

I dont have article to hand, it was from last Thursday Independent. Ralph Riegel was the writer. You would imagine if he was quoting Met Eireann directly that they would have pulled the paper up regarding the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Here it is, no quote from Met Eireann on any heatwave, just a throwaway paragraph at the end that has no source or justification

If they were to pull the Indo and other rags and clickbait sites like DublinLive up every time they post lies then they wouldn't have time to do any forecasting. Misquoting and making stuff up is what these people do, hoping that the public will swallow it, which we see they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭lolie

I think this is the link boetstark is on about.

It mentions met Éireann's long range forecast at the start of the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Alls these 'long range forecasts' are is interpretations of EC 46 day anomalies, nothing more than that. No additional thoughts or anything based on teleconnections which long range forecasts should be. It is one too early for Indian summer which occurs in meteorological autumn (endless debates on here before on when in autumn they occur), that's just clickbait right there.

Secondly, there are constant changes surrounding the placement of high pressure with one scenario being high latitude blocking and a trough placed right over us, a mid-Atlantic ridge ridging into Ireland with cool northerly winds on its eastward flank or high pressure to our east drawing in a hot southerly flow from the Iberian Peninsula. This kind of uncertainty is very normal for the time of year with the peak of the Atlantic hurricane season upon us this time next month which throws all the models into haywire as they attempt to come to a consensus on where exactly the tropical cyclone or hurricane will track or if it will get caught up in the North Atlantic jet stream.

Personally, I've lost all interest in this summer and have moved onto winter prospects. I couldn't care less about autumn and this August has basically been that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Extremely humid day in East Cork. It really does feel more like late September this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,152 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Will you **** off being argumentative and weird on this forum

It's a legit question. You complain of the cold in Ireland in August, and as I have told you, temps are close to average. What more do you want? Warmer temps so you can then complain about them once they are done? You are a walking contradiction.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

The temperatures are close to average but down, more rain, breezy and humidity high. Also been very dark at times too so feels altogether miserable. Temperature is only one part of how we perceive weather.

Advertisement