Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax Registration Number for Voluntary Organization

Options
  • 10-05-2021 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Last year I took over as Treasurer of a local voluntary organization which maintains some public areas in the village. Our income is made up of donations to an annual collection, plus county council grant. Other than cash in the bank, we don't have any assets.

Last week, the county council suggested that we apply for a TRN from Revenue. Although they said it's not mandatory, it would be useful if we receive annual funding over 10k (highly unlikely we'd ever get that much in a year).

Are there any real benefits to applying for a TRN ? If I do so, will Revenue just start looking for more information in the future, eg annual accounts or proof that we are tax exempt ?

While everything is above board, and I keep a good set of records, I don't really want to go drawing undue attention from Revenue if it's going to result in extra work for no real gain.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 BPPM

Last year I took over as Treasurer of a local voluntary organization which maintains some public areas in the village. Our income is made up of donations to an annual collection, plus county council grant. Other than cash in the bank, we don't have any assets.

Last week, the county council suggested that we apply for a TRN from Revenue. Although they said it's not mandatory, it would be useful if we receive annual funding over 10k (highly unlikely we'd ever get that much in a year).

Are there any real benefits to applying for a TRN ? If I do so, will Revenue just start looking for more information in the future, eg annual accounts or proof that we are tax exempt ?

While everything is above board, and I keep a good set of records, I don't really want to go drawing undue attention from Revenue if it's going to result in extra work for no real gain.

I would fully agree with your thinking on the matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭IsThisOneFree

BPPM wrote: »
    I would fully agree with your thinking on the matter?
    Thanks ! I haven't gotten back to Council since and they've not asked me about it since, so unless they tell me we have to get one I'll stay as we are I think

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

If the council is giving you a certain amount of money they will need tax clearance for your organisation before giving money.

Your organisation will need a trn to get that.

Of course if you have a trn there will be administration requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭IsThisOneFree

Thanks for the reply
    If the council is giving you a certain amount of money they will need tax clearance for your organisation before giving money
    Yup, as I mentioned in my original post, they said TRN only required if we get more than 10k funding in a single year, which is highly unlikely as we come nowhere close to that currently. We've been getting our funding for the past 20+ years without a TRN.
    Hence why I don't want to get one if it doesn't come with any advantage for us

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Anyone have any experience of the additional administration requirements? We've applied for a TRN and have yet to apply for the tax exemption status for voluntary organisations. Can the annual return be filed by a lay person (non-accountant) via ROS.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 fragglerock77

No annual tax return required for unincorporated voluntary organisations with tax exemption, unless of course you have employees, so aside from initial tax reg there is no additional admin

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Isn't a trn required to apply for corporation tax exemption?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

No annual tax return required for unincorporated voluntary organisations with tax exemption, unless of course you have employees, so aside from initial tax reg there is no additional admin

We've been granted a trn and have yet to apply for the exemption. We don't and won't have any employees. Do you know if it's required to submit any end of year info, or is it a once off set it up and forget about it type of arrangement. Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 13 fragglerock77

Salmon wrote: »
    We've been granted a trn and have yet to apply for the exemption. We don't and won't have any employees. Do you know if it's required to submit any end of year info, or is it a once off set it up and forget about it type of arrangement. Thanks in advance

I got the TRN and tax emption about 10 years ago, and have never had to submit any sort of return amd have had no issues getting tax clearance to draw down sports capital grants.

Advertisement