Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought something on Amazon worth 1800 for 650...

Options
  • 10-05-2021 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭

Bought a telescope on amazon that is usually priced around 1800eur for 650.
    They accepted payment and charged my card.
    However a few hours later I got an order cancelled email saying the seller no longer has the item.

I reckon it was some sort of pricing glitch , but legally wise can I still ask for the item to be restocked and sold at that price to me, since technically they have allready charged my card ...

This is based in the EU.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

In short, no - you can't force them to sell it to you at that price

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭pale rider

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Bought a telescope on amazon that is usually priced around 1800eur for 650.
    They accepted payment and charged my card.
    However a few hours later I got an order cancelled email saying the seller no longer has the item.

I reckon it was some sort of pricing glitch , but legally wise can I still ask for the item to be restocked and sold at that price to me, since technically they have allready charged my card ...

This is based in the EU.

Thanks

You want to take advantage of what you believe is a mistake in pricing the item by maybe 60%, is that what you want ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Google "invitation to treat" Boots et al, if my ole law 101 memory serves me right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

There was a case here where FNAC were advertising a top phone that was worth around €1200 for €400, people ordered it and they were cancelled it, but they had to sell it to them in the end , I was wondering was this a similar situation....

And again I have found another seller on Amazon that has it for €800, ill try them ...

So it appears the whole thing was a scam , be careful on amazon, the "cancellation" is proceeded by the vendor contacting you with a means of "alternate" payment, yeah f*ck off!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,005 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

So it appears the whole thing was a scam , be careful on amazon, the "cancellation" is proceeded by the vendor contacting you with a means of "alternate" payment, yeah f*ck off!!!

If it's too good to be true...

o1s1n wrote: »
    If it's too good to be true...

Exactly !

But was surprised I've never seen such shenanigans on amazon ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

Exactly !

But was surprised I've never seen such shenanigans on amazon ...

You should report it to Amazon. They won’t like anyone bypassing their checkout process.

Zhane wrote: »
    You should report it to Amazon. They won’t like anyone bypassing their checkout process.
    I have , also opened a live chat with customer support to make sure they were taking it seriously ...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Amazon is becoming as bad as eBay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

whiterebel wrote: »
    Amazon is becoming as bad as eBay.

Said the same myself recently - their move to the marketplace model has resulted in a few issues including .

1. If you search for a specific make / model of a product they often shove the cheap chinese tat in your face as the first few results even though they have the exact product you searched for.

2. Scam type issues such as the seller described or price gouging having bots buy up a particular in demand product to sell it on at a higher rate as a marketplace seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

There was a case here where FNAC were advertising a top phone that was worth around €1200 for €400, people ordered it and they were cancelled it, but they had to sell it to them in the end , I was wondering was this a similar situation....

And again I have found another seller on Amazon that has it for €800, ill try them ...

rubbish

They may have volunteered to honor the orders but they were under absolutely no legal obligation to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

You say you reckon it was some sort of a pricing glitch, but want to try and legally enforce it?

Get a grip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

A company holding its hands up and acknowledging it made a mistake but being willing to honour an incorrect price in order to ensure customer goodwill should not be mistaken for a court order. Do you have a link to the court documents? You shouldn't confuse the two.

As I said google "invitation to treat".

https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B000GUFOC8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3C2YT96VCCINA&psc=1

Amazon have gone to the dogs, such scams are appearing daily ....

This scope is worth at least €1800 ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B000GUFOC8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3C2YT96VCCINA&psc=1

Amazon have gone to the dogs, such scams are appearing daily ....

This scope is worth at least €1800 ...

The 4SE is about right at that price.

Advertisement