Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How many people have a PS5?

Options
  • 10-05-2021 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

I decided to make a poll to see how many people on boards.ie so far have acquired a PS5. It kind of bums me out that so many people don't have one and with the latest news that shortages will go well into 2022 it looks like many won't have one for a long time. Though there aren't that many PS5 games at the moment, a lot of the more recent PS4 games have been optimised with PS5 in mind and so have received a nice boost. Poll is obviously for those that actually want PS5 now.

Do you have a PS5? 235 votes

Yes and/or it's being shipped.
    67% 159 votes
    No
    32% 76 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Got mine in late January and tbh, nothing has grabbed me by the balls and made me want to play it on a regular basis bar Astro which I played to 100% completion

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭CptMonkey

I have one and I’m still playing PS4 stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Day 1 launch, was on Smyth’s mailing list.
    In terms of the incoming ones - seems like due to shortages the next PS5 will be a de facto Pro - better faster processor.
    Right now not a huge amount of games, so when it does make it around there should be more to enjoy - clearly there’s a tipping point - more games are needed but not at 80E a pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

CptMonkey wrote: »
    I have one and I’m still playing PS4 stuff.

Same. No one without one is missing anything substantial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Got mine on the first release very pleased with it just waiting patiently for some new releases!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah I got it as was thinking of getting a Pro before the PS5 announcement.
    Plus Bugsnax and Astrobot

• Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Got one in December. Only PS5 exclusive I've played is the free Astrobot. Can't justify paying €80 for a game, I'll wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Raffo69

ShaneU wrote: »
    Got one in December. Only PS5 exclusive I've played is the free Astrobot. Can't justify paying €80 for a game, I'll wait.

Where does one get Astrobot? Is it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Raffo69 wrote: »
    Where does one get Astrobot? Is it any good?

It's already on the console and yes it's great

• Registered Users Posts: 29,481 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Great poll for a quick overview, hope as many people can take it as possible to get a good idea of Boards users.

Loving mine, Demons Souls was an incredible launch title and I've enjoyed multiple PS4 upgrades as well as the upgrade from the PS4 Pro, specifically the awful fan noise from that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I miss the days of proper console launches where graphics jumped so much it was jaw dropping with games at launch or near launch that had you genuinely excited.

Started Amstrad 6128 plus, moved to Mega drive. Massive upgrade!

Then to N64 which blew my mind.

Similarly then I moved from N64 to PS2 and wow.

I then moved to Xbox 360 which again felt like a proper jump.

And then 360 to PS4. At this point it was starting to feel a bit meh graphically. Gears of war for example still holds up. Some amazing graphics on 360 still to this day!

PS4 to PS5 just feels sooooooo underwhelming.

I haven’t even bothered looking for one cause there’s just no games worth getting it for and graphically unless you’re doing a side by side I don’t see a massive difference. It’s there but meh.

The quick loading looks brilliant and increases in FPS and resolution on ps4 titles is nice but it’s not mind blowing.

Ive put up with lower FPS, graphics and loading time this long, I can wait another year or so before making the jump.

At least then there’ll be supply, games will have actually come out and dropped in price and any hardware issues will be sorted with a new probably smaller version of the console.

Yeah completely and utterly underwhelming console launch imo.

Sorry rant over. Maybe I’m just old and bitter. Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭rizzla

I got one just to have. I knew I would pick one up eventually so got one when the opportunity presented itself. It's mainly for exclusives. I got a Series X too, which is my main console of choice.

I do enjoy it though, even if it is just to catch up on some older PS4 exclusives. Also, Astrobot is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

I got one then gave it away as someone wanted it more and I have my Series X, still happy with my decision although really do have FOMO about returnal, will pick up a digital as soon as I can id imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,227 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Got one at launch, thankfully. Have mostly played PS4 games (or ones which also have PS5 versions/upgrades). That said, Demon's Souls and Returnal are top notch PS5 exclusives, and hugely bolstered by the SSD for loading times. Some of the implementation of the DualSense features are fantastic too.

Plus Astrobot of course. Utterly fantastic wee game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The PS5 upgrade of Wreckfest has solidified my decision as right. I was always going to get one, so getting it at launch was a definite for me. And having played a load of Wreckfest on my jet engine Pro, the recent load time/graphics update has shown how much better the 5 is. Loading time is a fraction of what it used to be, and the smoothness of the 60fps is very evident imo. While not a PS5 game, it's the first one that has really shown the difference to me.

You're not missing out on a lot by not upgrading yet, but you wouldn't be wrong to upgrade. I knew the graphical jump wouldn't be as big as previous gens, games are already near the ceiling imo, but this gen will allow more immersive and realistic worlds, the smaller details that make a big difference. Along with fast loading.

I honestly think gaming has to evolve in a big way soon, and I hope to be alive for when something akin to Ready Player One or Gamer is possible. That's the next big jump.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭bot43

Got one mid Feb. Complete waste on me. I’ve replayed a game I’ve already played from PS4 and have no interest in any of the current titles. About the only thing I’m looking forward to is HZW.

Just got caught up in the hype I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I got mine at the start of January after having my original launch day one nicked in transit from Amazon. I'd say I've played it at least 3/4 times a week, mostly on my off days from work, so have gotten decent playtime out of it so far. The load times in particular have certainly made it a worthwhile investment for me.

Only PS5 games I own are Miles Morales and Astro which came free. Have gone back to PS4 games (P5:Royal/P5:Strikers/GTA5/Project Cars3/PES) to keep me going until the next big release that catches my eye (next Battlefield/Horizon sequel), and have already picked up Mass Effect to tide me over.

No complaints from me though, as I knew what I was getting into with a lack of launch titles and I could've waited, but I'd rarely consider such things when I see something new and shiny that I want (damn crow brain :pac:).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Got one at the beginning of March. Haven't played any PS5 games beyond what I've gotten free from PS Plus but it's a huge improvement to the PS4 in terms of loading times and the like. Could have easily held off but delighted I picked one up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

My young lad or myself have had them all, but never got them on launch day or anywhere near it.

Usually he waits until his friends get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Got mine on launch. Its big machine, but games run great on it. Big issue is hard drive space, and even when they support expansion, it will be very expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 MrZibi

wes wrote: »
    Got mine on launch. Its big machine, but games run great on it. Big issue is hard drive space, and even when they support expansion, it will be very expensive.

Check out Digital foundry HDD/SSD comparison video from few weeks back. Got an internal 1TB Samsung SSD with Sabrent USB 3.1 adaper which runs perfect for all ps4 games that I have in my backlog and some storage left for PS5 games so that don't have to download whenever I decide to play them again.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBteyaSCTfU&ab_channel=DigitalFoundry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭coolisin

Got one end of Jan/early February.
    I love it, I jumped from an OG PS4 to PS5

While the graphical jump on a 1080 screen are barely noticeable, the ray tracing/60fps is very noticeable.

However the biggest difference is the PSVR I cannot get over the difference it has made simply with the headset graphics.

Next is the silence of the thing running.
    The speed it opens games.

My poor OG was floating the fans where so loud.

The dual shock as a next step is savage.
    (I know people have had them break)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

It seems to me that Sony just got their VERY limited number of consoles out as fast as they could knowing full well it will be another year at least before most people can get their hands on it.

Perhaps they are delaying the launch of new titles until the console is freely available too?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

Have it since launch and the series x is better. Except for Returnal, which is so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Got the Ps5 at Launch and the Series X in March.

Game pass is keeping Microsoft going atm, to be honest.

I've played through a few games on both machines already now the Ps5 feels like the more next-gen machine for me atm but they both have their pros and cons it's very early days.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tobothehobo

I have a xbox series x since launch and a ps5 since February and I find game pass is keeping me coming back to the xbox at the moment. As already stated astro's is a great tech demo for the dualsense.
    I loved demons souls and it is so pretty.
    Spiderman miles morales was good but short. More like an expansion than a full size game.
    Going from a launch ps4 to a ps5 the difference in visual fidelity and performance is amazing.
    4k60 is a game changer and one of those things that make older games with lower frame difficult to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

No complaints with the loading times and the 60fps 4K. Compared to the launch day PS4 I was using previously it is a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Technically yes, I own a PS5. Although it's currently away for repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Disc and Digital launch day systems.
    Not a bother with either of them, other than I've become used to not having them in rest mode, so have never bothered switching them back on. Only really an issue when it comes to turning it on and maybe having to wait for a patch download etc.
    Have noticed some wear on one of the DualSense's analog sticks but nothing major.
    Probably don't get a much use as the Xboxes purely down to title availability, but was hammered with Demon's Souls chiefly for a while, but spend most of my PS time with Ghosts of Tsushima right now in any case which is even more of a delight to play on the PS5. Internal storage reserved for PS5 only, use a M.2 NVMe external for all legacy stuff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement