Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kawasaki Versys 650 vs 1000

Options
  • 10-05-2021 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

First time bike buyer and I've got my eyes set on the Kawasaki Versys sometime this year.

Which bike would you recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Do you have a full licence? You'll probably struggle to get insured on 1000cc as a learner. Can't help with bike options. Never been on either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I'd recommend getting a permit and doing your IBT and then buying whichever one you prefer. But the 600 is the more sensible purchase for a beginner.

zubair wrote: »
    I'd recommend getting a permit and doing your IBT and then buying whichever one you prefer. But the 600 is the more sensible purchase for a beginner.

Sorry, this reads a bit brash. Not my intention...

Welcome to the sub. Buying a bike before the IBT or getting a license is a good way to get the wrong bike for you or maybe bikes aren't your thing but you wont know until you do the IBT. Most of us here would recommend completing the processes first and then go bike shopping. Your ADI will give you great advice too. The 1000 is a big bike, not ideal for starting out, yes a mature rider will be able to handle it but it can hamper the learning process. The 600 is a good beginner bike.

We could give better advice if you can tell us your age as this impacts your license options and your insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭GBX

If you are a first time biker i'm assuming you are only starting the process so it would be unlikely for you to get insured on a 1000. The 650 would be a good starting point once you complete your IBT and can get insured on it. Not as out there an option as some who start out and want to get a GSXR or Blade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

First time bike buyer and I've got my eyes set on the Kawasaki Versys sometime this year.

I have a 650 Versys, never ridden the 1000 but from reviews etc. they are very different bikes personality wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭TheQ_Man

I couldn’t get insured on a Versys 1000 in my 30’s on a learner permit. 650 was no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

The Versys are a very good alround bike, my best mate has the 2017 Versys GT 1000cc and its a stonking piece of kit. I test rode a 2020 GT model of that bike and I was really close to getting it new but went with the KTM in the end.

I would get the 650cc starting out its very capable and comfortable bike and should have no trouble selling on when you want a bigger machine.

Please factor in your own height and weight when getting a bike too, its not a short bike tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

I wasn’t able to get insured on the 1000 either, I was told I’d need to have the licence at least a year.

I wouldn’t be expecting to get away with buying a 1000 and get insured, especially on the learner permit.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    The Versys are a very good alround bike, my best mate has the 2017 Versys GT 1000cc

No I don't, I have an MT!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

One you can handle. That's ALL that matters when learning. Leave off the powerful sexy bikes til you know what you're doing. Get something that takes a bit more effort to land yourself in trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Go with the 650 or you go with your username mad vibe and try a panigale V4R.

zubair wrote: »
    No I don't, I have an MT!

I said best mate not GAY mate :rolleyes:

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I said best mate not GAY mate :rolleyes:

Were you two on the Sunday spin as well???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Were you two on the Sunday spin as well???

Did you spike YOURSELF too???

Did you spike YOURSELF too???

I suffered from oxygen deprivation going over the Wicklow gap, can’t remember a thing after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

I also have the V650
    I find it a heavy yoke @ 180kg add 20 L of petrol and you up at the 200kg mark

It is also a tall bike with a seat height of 33in so if you are a bit vertically challenged like me 5 foot 6 & 3/4 then you will be struggling to get your feet down
    Luckily there is a lowering kit available to drop the shock back 1.5in reducing the seat height

Being a parallel twin you do get a little vibration and the seat tilts a little too forward making you slide towards the tank
    But on a positive note
    It will pull in any gear :-)
    It sounds great and with a little maintenance it should go forever
    I get about 380 km to a tank

Echoing what the other guys have said I would hold off buying till you have don the IBT to get more of a feel for what you want

But the way things are at the minute if you see a tempting offer you are unlikely to loose money if it turns out to be not for you
    You could just sell it on

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭MadMardegan

Thanks a lot for the advice folks!

It's definitely worth thinking about the insurance aspect of it, I hadn't factored that in when making the thread.

I have limited bike experience (3 months driving a fully manual 125cc bike around South East Asia a couple of years back. Took a while to get used to the bike, never got used to the traffic haha).

I'm 31 now, so I think I'll take the advice here and do the IBT and see how I feel after that. Truth be told, I got the idea of a Kawasaki Versys after seeing one in a Circle K a couple of days ago and just thinking it was a drop-dead gorgeous bike. I'm 6'2 so a higher, more upright bike, is what I'd be after.

Can anyone recommend a good IBT trainer in Dublin?

It's definitely worth thinking about the insurance aspect of it, I hadn't factored that in when making the thread.

I have limited bike experience (3 months driving a fully manual 125cc bike around South East Asia a couple of years back. Took a while to get used to the bike, never got used to the traffic haha).

I'm 31 now, so I think I'll take the advice here and do the IBT and see how I feel after that. Truth be told, I got the idea of a Kawasaki Versys after seeing one in a Circle K a couple of days ago and just thinking it was a drop-dead gorgeous bike. I'm 6'2 so a higher, more upright bike, is what I'd be after.

Eric Dalton, Dalton Motorcycle Training.

You'd be fine on the versys 650 at 6 foot +, it's a sensible bike to start on, and at 31 insurance shouldn't be an issue {not considering other factors but make sure to get a quote before buying). Just do the IBT and see if it's still the one for you.

This is what you would look like on the V650

https://cycle-ergo.com/

• Advertisement
Advertisement