Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballymurphy massacre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Murdering bastards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭omerin

Wasn't very familiar with the story but heard on the news from a relative of the priest that he was looking after a person who was shot, was waving a white handcachef, got up to get an ambulance and was shot. When he was on the ground he was shot again for good measure.

The British nation have a lot to answer for, with their shameful history it's no wonder that a lot of it isn't thought in their schools.

Acts like these are usually played out by German soldiers and Nazis in British war films, proganda and rewriting of history, acts that's are a lot closer to acts carried out by our closest neighbours.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Marco23d wrote: »
    The way my thread title is written and also the OP will garner far more attention than this one if you dont mind merging this one with my one instead as this is more of a "best wishes" thread which will die almost instantly as no even has a clue what the "ballymurphy massacre" is people are unlikely to click on it.

Start another thread on this and you'll get a forum ban. I've merged your latest one into this thread as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭Marco23d

anplaya27 wrote: »
    What do you expect.....

They shot dead a Deaf man whos first language was Irish Sign Language in Strabane in 1972 who was trying to gesture to them that he was Deaf, that he couldnt understand what they were saying to him and then covered his murder up.

And the fact that loyalist paramilitaries were almost under complete control of the intelligence services.

At the time of the Dublin Monaghan bombings, Colin Wallace was a top British Intelligence Corps officer at the British Army's Northern Ireland headquarters. Since his resignation in 1975, he has exposed scandals involving the security forces, including state collusion with loyalists and the Kincora boys home, He gave evidence to the Barron Inquiry.

In an August 1975 letter to Tony Stoughton, chief of the British Army Information Service in Northern Ireland, Wallace writes:

There is good evidence the Dublin bombings in May last year were a reprisal for the Irish government's role in bringing about the [power sharing] Executive. According to one of Craig's people [Craig Smellie, the top MI6 officer in Northern Ireland], most of those involved – the Youngs, the Jacksons, Mulholland, Hanna, Kerr and McConnell – were working closely with [Special Branch] and [Military Intelligence] at that time. Craig's people believe the sectarian assassinations were designed to destroy Rees's attempts to negotiate a ceasefire, and the targets were identified for both sides by [Intelligence/Special Branch]. They also believe some very senior RUC officers were involved with this group. In short, it would appear that loyalist paramilitaries and [Intelligence/Special Branch] members have formed some sort of pseudo gangs in an attempt to fight a war of attrition against the IRA by getting paramilitaries on both sides to kill each other thus drawing the IRA away from it's war against the state and into a shooting war with loyalists and at the same time prevent any future political initiative such as Sunningdale.

In a further letter of September 1975, Wallace wrote that MI5 was backing a group of UVF hardliners who opposed the UVF's move toward politics. He added:
    I believe much of the violence generated during the latter part of last year was caused by some of the new [Intelligence] people deliberately stirring up the conflict. As you know, we have never been allowed to target the breakaway UVF, nor the UFF, during the past couple of years, Yet they have killed more people than the IRA.

Of the 280 top loyalists arrested during the Stevens Inquiry all but 4 of them were working for the intelligence services.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

omerin wrote: »
    Wasn't very familiar with the story but heard on the news from a relative of the priest that he was looking after a person who was shot, was waving a white handcachef, got up to get an ambulance and was shot. When he was on the ground he was shot again for good measure.

The British nation have a lot to answer for, with their shameful history it's no wonder that a lot of it isn't thought in their schools.

Acts like these are usually played out by German soldiers and Nazis in British war films, proganda and rewriting of history, acts that's are a lot closer to acts carried out by our closest neighbours.

There's an excellent documentary about it that Channel 4 did a few years ago. They are rerunning it tomorrow night. Part of the reason it got so little attention at the time was that it was not documented by journalists, so the Paratroopers got to spread their lies without any independent source to contradict them. The victims and the residents of Ballymurphy were smeared as terrorists and terrorist sympathisers. The Paratroopers tried the same tack after Bloody Sunday, however enough independent witnesses were there to credibly contradict their claims, although official validation that the victims were innocent was a long hard battle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭myfreespirit

OscarMIlde wrote: »
    There's an excellent documentary about it that Channel 4 did a few years ago. They are rerunning it tomorrow night. Part of the reason it got so little attention at the time was that it was not documented by journalists, so the Paratroopers got to spread their lies without any independent source to contradict them. The victims and the residents of Ballymurphy were smeared as terrorists and terrorist sympathisers. The Paratroopers tried the same tack after Bloody Sunday, however enough independent witnesses were there to credibly contradict their claims, although official validation that the victims were innocent was a long hard battle.

One of those present at the scene of the killings was a young Captain Mike Jackson, ostensibly responsible for press relations at the time in Belfast.
    The same fellow is now General Sir Mike Jackson, a high ranking official of the British security establishment for many years.
    In my opinion, he is thoroughly untrustworthy and a man of low morality, who may well be responsible for covering up the crimes of his fellow soldiers in Ballymurphy over the three days in question.
    Shocking and disgusting.

gourcuff wrote: »
    not much coverage in the UK ... guess thats not suprising

Top story on BBC news at 6. Virgin Media Ireland seem to be completely ignoring it. Perhaps our media have been instructed to brush it under the carpet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,581 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Top story on BBC news at 6. Virgin Media Ireland seem to be completely ignoring it. Perhaps our media have been instructed to brush it under the carpet.

Not a mention of it on The Last Word earlier on.

Will be interesting to see if Prime Time have anything about it at 9.30

• Registered Users Posts: 16,581 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

marvin80 wrote: »

She put out a tweet about an hour ago saying she accepted the findings, I'm inclined to give her the benefit of the doubt that she meant it.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭mehico

Thoughts are with the families at this time.

Colum Eastwood in Westminster today:

https://twitter.com/columeastwood/status/1392191049876049921?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,099 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

votecounts wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/UTVNews/status/1392102489093246978

Great news for the families as they were brandished as terrorists in many circles. I wonder though is this the reason the British Government is pushing for the amnesty for Soldiers.

it's one of the reasons i would guess but i would say a minor reason.
    the real reason is likely a fear of it coming out how much up to their necks they and the security forces were in the conflict.
    it's definitely not about protecting service men as such given chances are the tories have cut any services in relation to x service men to the bone so clearly don't care about them.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

it's one of the reasons i would guess but i would say a minor reason.
    the real reason is likely a fear of it coming out how much up to their necks they and the security forces were in the conflict.
    it's definitely not about protecting service men as such given chances are the tories have cut any services in relation to x service men to the bone so clearly don't care about them.

What do you mean by "up to their necks"?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

The only justice that the members of the parachute regiment were ever going to face was dealt out by the provos

The real justice for the families was handed out on the 27th of August 1979.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,099 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Marco23d wrote: »
    What do you mean by "up to their necks"?

they were completely involved in the acts of that conflict carried out by loyalists.
    they passed on information to allow loyalists to carry out attacks, gave them weapons, etc.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

they were completely involved in the acts of that conflict carried out by loyalists.
    they passed on information to allow loyalists to carry out attacks, gave them weapons, etc.

Agreed but to a far larger extent what you said there has already been proven (Brian Nelson) what they really do not want people to know is the exact extent of which they controlled the loyalist organisations many historians believe they were almost under complete control of the intelligence services.

One thing during the troubles irrelevant to loyalist collusion that always made me extremely suspicious was the killing of Joanne Mathers allegedly by the PIRA for handing out census forms, this happened two days before the election of Bobby Sands when the IRA had halted all offensive operations in support of the hunger strikers and were gaining global support and sympathy, I find it hard to believe they decided to break that two days before the election solely to kill a young woman handing out census forms.

I don't know about anybody else but I don't need any evidence to know whoever killed her was not on the republican side of the conflict, spooks most likely false flag at it's finest right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The thing about events like Ballymurphy, Bloody Sunday and the British government funding terrorists is that we already know the truth. Enough evidence has come to prove that the British were far from innocent peacekeepers in the troubles. They denied the Irish population in Northern Ireland equal rights, executed them and conspired with terrorists to kill them on a large scale.

It's just business as usual that the British have such a rosy view of their history that they cannot face the truth that their government was part of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Not a mention of it on The Last Word earlier on.

Will be interesting to see if Prime Time have anything about it at 9.30

Maybe because it's a UK story that took place half a century ago? I don't know, surprised the Last Word didn't even mention it though :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Maybe because it's a UK story that took place half a century ago? I don't know, surprised the Last Word didn't even mention it though :cool:

The findings were announced today?

Obviously.

I was replying to Galwayguy35.

• Advertisement

A UK story? Gimme a break will ya and anyway most of the people involved on the Republican side of the conflict during the troubles were from the Republic, the victims in this massacre were as Irish as anyone in the history of Ireland prior to 1922 or 1937 to be precise, or do you believe there were no Irish people until after 1922 (rolls eyes)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Is this you playing devil's advocate again?

Hello Bonnie, never far behind.

Galwayguy35 couldn't understand why it hadn't been reported on the Last Word, so I said sarcastically . . . .

It must have been mentioned, no?

Hello Bonnie, never far behind.

Galwayguy35 couldn't understand why it hadn't been reported on the Last Word, so I said sarcastically . . . .

It must have been mentioned, no?

I wasn't listening to the Last Word. I couldn't tell ya.

I know you think you're being all smart with your use of language here.

Sarcastic my eye.

Think what you want.

My posts are there, read them.

Think what you want.

My posts are there, read them.

I did. And the language you used was clearly used to inflame others.

That's only because you view everything through your own personal Republican prism, the reality is far too mundane for you I guess.

I was actually answering Galwayguy35.

Now why don't you shuffle off to bed like a good fella before you derail this thread anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

steddyeddy wrote: »
    The thing about events like Ballymurphy, Bloody Sunday and the British government funding terrorists is that we already know the truth. Enough evidence has come to prove that the British were far from innocent peacekeepers in the troubles. They denied the Irish population in Northern Ireland equal rights, executed them and conspired with terrorists to kill them on a large scale.

It's just business as usual that the British have such a rosy view of their history that they cannot face the truth that their government was part of the problem.
    They simply don’t care, their ruling classes, and they have enough cheerleaders within this island to continue not caring. It is a rogue state. Their people don’t care because they are misled and lied to.

https://cain.ulster.ac.uk/othelem/media/greenslade.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

So this lad was on the Late Late in 2011 flogging his book and had a nice chat with Pat Kenny. I think the indifference of the Dublin upper classes to violence against Catholics is shocking as is the fawning of the British establishment.

https://twitter.com/Seanofthesouth/status/1392203366290296842?s=19

• Advertisement

That's only because you view everything through your own personal Republican prism, the reality is far too mundane for you I guess.

I was actually answering Galwayguy35.

Now why don't you shuffle off to bed like a good fella before you derail this thread anymore.

I'm a Republican now am I? :rolleyes:

So, your use of "UK" in that context was entirely innocent, like all those times where you try to play the "misunderstood" card or your latest one, "Devil's Advocate"? Catch yourself on and have a discussion like an adult.

If you have an issue with people commenting on your posts to GalwayGuy or anyone else, then perhaps you should take it to PM, lest we trouble your wee sensibilities.

Any words of advice for Marco as well? Should he go to bed, because he was less than impressed with your use of "UK" as well? Perhaps its his "Republican Prism" that's clouding his perception of your oh so innocent posts?

Advertisement