Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a passport to go to UK??

• 11-05-2021 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

I currently have no passport as my most recent one has expired, a friend has a wedding happening in July in England. If I'm not mistaken there's a big backlog in the passport office.
    Is it possible to travel to the UK without an up to date passport atm?
    (Obviously we'll only be travelling if covid restrictions permit it)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭cml387

Not if you are going by ferry.
    I believe Ryaniar insist on a passport if flying, Aer Lingus just acceptable (to them) photo id.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,894 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

if you go to the UK as an irish or british citizen (whether Newry, Cardiff or London) you dont need a passport. Whatever the airline or ferry requires is their call.
    If you happen to not be irish then you need a passport and possibly a visa.

Now..... if youre claiming to be irish theres only 1 real way of proving your nationality, but thats an endless argument that was already had here before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭Allinall

if you go to the UK as an irish or british citizen (whether Newry, Cardiff or London) you dont need a passport. Whatever the airline or ferry requires is their call.
    If you happen to not be irish then you need a passport and possibly a visa.

Now..... if youre claiming to be irish theres only 1 real way of proving your nationality, but thats an endless argument that was already had here before.

This is it.

You can be turned back at point of entry to the UK if you cannot prove you are entitled to enter as an Irish citizen ( or indeed a British citizen).

The only practical way to do this is with a passport.

99 times out of 100 you will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 IliveinCork

Allinall wrote: »
    This is it.

You can be turned back at point of entry to the UK if you cannot prove you are entitled to enter as an Irish citizen ( or indeed a British citizen).

The only practical way to do this is with a passport.

99 times out of 100 you will be ok.

Would a public services card be acceptable instead?

Edit to add: We'd be traveling by ferry and I am Irish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭biketard

I think some airlines/ferries might accept a recently-expired passport as a form of ID for travel between Ireland and the UK, but I may be remembering wrong. Would say it would be worth asking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jimmy86

I currently have no passport as my most recent one has expired, a friend has a wedding happening in July in England. If I'm not mistaken there's a big backlog in the passport office.
    Is it possible to travel to the UK without an up to date passport atm?
    (Obviously we'll only be travelling if covid restrictions permit it)

You should be fine on a ferry with Licence or similar, I travelled on an age card about 5 years ago!

I applied for the passport online a fortnight ago and received it today. Online applications are moving a lot quicker. I think they are back to full operation now also.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Meeoow

If you are renewing it online, there is no backlog. It is automatic.
    Mine was a few months out, and I renewed it online on Tuesday, and the new one was in my post that Thursday. I couldn't believe how quick it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭NutmegGirl

Yes online applications are v quick, my daughter applied a month ago on a Sunday and got it in the post on the following Wednesday
    She’s still waiting for the passport card to come but I know they’re sent separately and tend to come later
    It’s a v efficient system

NutmegGirl wrote: »
    Yes online applications are v quick, my daughter applied a month ago on a Sunday and got it in the post on the following Wednesday
    She’s still waiting for the passport card to come but I know they’re sent separately and tend to come later
    It’s a v efficient system

She's got the passport itself though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Are you driving or a foot passenger? You very seldom get asked for your passport if in your own vehicle but will be asked if a foot passenger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Just apply online, be grand. Tabloid papers making a big deal of nothing. Evidently in this topic, there's no backlog for renewals.

muddypaws wrote: »
    Are you driving or a foot passenger? You very seldom get asked for your passport if in your own vehicle but will be asked if a foot passenger.

If we go it'll be by car, we have 2 small kids and I don't fancy planes and public transport.
    Would they have wrapped up ID checks by time of departure usually??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Just get passports if you're travelling, it'll make everything simpler, its not that difficult and you might need them for someone unknown reason if you end up needed assistance from the Irish embassy or something mad like that.

Advertisement