Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can’t get all channels from Limavaddy transmitter

• 11-05-2021 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hooked up my tv to aerial that’s pointing to the limavaddy freeview transmitter and I’m only picking up some of the channels. BBC itv film 4 etc.

id say I’m missing about half the channels. I’ve tried manually scanning the channels as well but when I enter the the channel frequency such as channel 40 it says I’m getting no reception at all.

If I install a masthead amplifier by the aerial will the gains be good enough to receive the other channels considering the channels I do get have great picture quality.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Dont be fooled by the "great picture" on some. Digital Tv is like a light switch, it either works or not. The working ones might be just above the limit and can disappear when it rains.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,453 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Some of the frequencies including Channel 40 are 10 kilowatt power. Other ones are 20 kilowatt.

https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Limavady

• Registered Users Posts: 16 digitalpoggy

Ok do you know would it be possible at all to get these channels in Letterkenny if I got a bigger aerial or added a masthead amplifier. We had horrible weather yesterday up here and the channels we do get didnt drop

• Registered Users Posts: 20,453 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Start by going into the menu to find out what signal Quality/Strength reading your are getting. I think Quality is the important one. A weak signal could give a perfect picture just the same as a 100% signal.

Have a look to see if any close by neighbours have an aerial pointing at Limavady, and if possible check with them. Check with a local installer, if you know any.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

Hooked up my tv to aerial that’s pointing to the limavaddy freeview transmitter and I’m only picking up some of the channels. BBC itv film 4 etc.

id say I’m missing about half the channels. I’ve tried manually scanning the channels as well but when I enter the the channel frequency such as channel 40 it says I’m getting no reception at all ...

When was this aerial installed? Is it combined with another for Saorview?

Before the 700mhz clearance, Limavady used channels higher up the band, so it's possible things are no longer set up properly.

• Advertisement

When was this aerial installed? Is it combined with another for Saorview?

Before the 700mhz clearance, Limavady used channels higher up the band, so it's possible things are no longer set up properly.

installed about 8 years ago, just the one aerial pointed towards limavady transmitter for freeview and saorview.

installed about 8 years ago, just the one aerial pointed towards limavady transmitter for freeview and saorview.

Yes, if I had thought about it, Hollywell Hill is the same direction as Limavady, so a single wideband aerial was a likely setup.

Did it get you all the Freeview channels before?

Yes, if I had thought about it, Hollywell Hill is the same direction as Limavady, so a single wideband aerial was a likely setup.

Did it get you all the Freeview channels before?

Can’t recall if I received all the channels cos we have been using sky box for so long. Just realising it’s probably a lot longer than 8 years since the aerial was installed signal strength is about 70% on bbc one.

Debating weather to buy a new group b aerial, diplexer, masthead amp for freeview and using my current aerial for saorview andor just trying a masthead amp first and seeing how I get on.
    Noticed a big difference in signal strength over a short cable in the attic when I was fine tuning it compared to moving it down stairs where there’s a 40 year old cable run been used so my first step will be to replace the old cable.

Would I notice much of a difference if I move my aerial from attic and mount it on the chimney? Thanks

Yes, going out to the chimney should give a marked improvement, & is definitely the next step I'd take after replacing any old cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Can’t recall if I received all the channels cos we have been using sky box for so long. Just realising it’s probably a lot longer than 8 years since the aerial was installed signal strength is about 70% on bbc one.

Debating weather to buy a new group b aerial, diplexer, masthead amp for freeview and using my current aerial for saorview andor just trying a masthead amp first and seeing how I get on.
    Noticed a big difference in signal strength over a short cable in the attic when I was fine tuning it compared to moving it down stairs where there’s a 40 year old cable run been used so my first step will be to replace the old cable.

Would I notice much of a difference if I move my aerial from attic and mount it on the chimney? Thanks

Now thats the first time I've ever read of the weather in that regard!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

If there is nothing there an amplifier won't help. You cannot amplify nothing.

Advertisement