Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Israeli - Palestinian Conflict *Threadbans in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Overheal wrote: »
    This topic is so toxic in the US.
    ...said something about antisemitism to which I pointed out the Palestinians are semites. .

Well, that's where you went wrong, antisemitism is specifically about Jews

• Registered Users Posts: 25,585 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

No its not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

No its not.

Lol.

Pick, pick, pick. Your agenda comes out bit by bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

The term has come to represent being anti Jewish alright. Even though Arabs are Semites also so technically it is not very accurate.

Genuine antisemitism is abhorrent but labelling people who are against obvious Israeli atrocities and ethnic cleansing as antisemitic is just as abhorrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Mimon wrote: »
    The term has come to represent being anti Jewish alright. Even though Arabs are Semites also so technically it is not very accurate.

Genuine antisemitism is abhorrent but labelling people who are against obvious Israeli atrocities and ethnic cleansing as antisemitic is just as abhorrant.

It’s designed solely to stop criticism of Israeli actions against Palestinians.
    They try to stifle debate and to prevent people from voicing opinion. Nothing more than a tactic that more and more people are seeing through.
    When they have no defence and a poor argument they resort to calling out people as antisemitic. It’s the only fall back position they have left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,443 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

They are eradicating the Palestinian people from areas they want.
    Throwing them out of their homes and giving their property to settlers is just that.
    What would you call it?

Antisemitism :)

1315dy.jpg

553569.PNG

Danzy wrote: »
    Lol.

Pick, pick, pick. Your agenda comes out bit by bit.

Agenda? I have no "agenda" I do think the I.D.F are murdering bàstards though and the Zionists will keep stealing land until the Palestinian people are wiped out of that area.

That doesn't make me an anti semitic, that makes me an anti Zionist/against Murder.

And yet..

Good rebuttal though

• Advertisement

It’s designed solely to stop criticism of Israeli actions against Palestinians.
    They try to stifle debate and to prevent people from voicing opinion. Nothing more than a tactic that more and more people are seeing through.
    When they have no defence and a poor argument they resort to calling out people as antisemitic. It’s the only fall back position they have left.

I agree what you are saying totally but there is genuine anti semitism out there. Just not nearly as much as Israel and the ADL would like people to think.

It is a bit like the boy who cried wolf, it is so overused that genuine anti semitism will be missed.

And yet..

Good rebuttal though

Just for balance I think you are 100% technically correct but language is not really about technicalities it is about how words are used by people and anti semitism has become specially about anti Jewishness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

The Aboriginal people of Australia aren't 'wiped' out. They still live there. Its quiet ludicrous to say they don't. The same with the Natuve Americans. Why would you say such inflammatory falsehoods. The biggest killer of Native Americans was other Native Americans and disease. Your post is ludicrous

You’ve never heard of the trail of tears? Or the stolen generation? Read a book ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Semites can be Arabs - but anti-Semitism is not anti-Arab, only anti-Jew, according to Overheal's own screenshots.

The systematic destruction of infrastructure and murder of children isn't intentional - carpet bombing a neighbourhood doesn't constitue targeting civilians - do they think people actually believe the BS or are they just so far gone caring what people think of them

"systematic destruction of infrastructure"
    "murder of children"
    "carpet bombing a neighbourhood"
    "targeting civilians"

So much hyperbole in your sentence it's hard to know where to start. The following are not military goals of Israel. If they were, Gaza would be a pile of rubble right now, and there wouldn't be a single person alive.

You need to learn how to be precise in your language. If Israel was so bad you wouldn't need to exaggerate and use the most hyperbolic language to describe it. Turkey did largely the same think to the Kurds recently but nobody seems to either know or care, I'm not sure why.

"Carpet bombing" a neighbourhood FFS get a dictionary.

... I pointed out the Palestinians are semites. Some self identified Jewish friend of his went off on me accusing me...

I gotta ask.
    Whats a "self identified Jew"?

Is is like a self identified Black person?
    A self identified traveller?
    Self identified Muslim?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

No serious scholar thinks there was higher than 2 million natives in North America prior to settlers arriving.There was no systematic murder or genocide on either Aboriginal peoples or Native Americans. Some individual atrocities occurred ,notably on Tasmania and in America but disease really put paid to Native Americans .
    Murder and warring ,slave taking was a major part in many Native American tribes hence the huge movement of tribes recorded prior to and during the 16th and 17th centuries...this is all outside of white encroachment and settlement.
    Theres alot of self hatred in Australia ,same as in most European countries. Its sad really. The UK is fighting back ,not accepting a rewritten version of history.. and of course everywhere Britain was,irish people were . We were colonisers .Ultimately the patronising attitudes liberals have to native Americans and Aboriginal peoples is a modern problem. It does no one any favours to rewrite history and make everyone victims. In Ireland we have awful problems with famine victimhood that leads to anti British attitudes today. The likes of Ukraine,Finland ect had famines but we milk it for all its worth with the Gortha Mor stuff and the memorials everywhere. That one of the miserable bronze waifs on the quays in Dublin is a particularly bad piece of victimhood. Funny how the Brits ,Germans and Spanish don't indulge in this necrophilia

The definition of a famine is “ extreme scarcity of food.” There was no famine in Ireland. In the 1840s there was lots of food in Ireland, it was mainly exported by the Brits. It was a systematic genocide/ethnic cleansing of the Irish by the Brits to try and force Catholicism out of Ireland. Protestant soup kitchens were abundant for people who denounced their religion, hence the term “soup-takers”. Imagine Israel blockading food into Gaza and opening food houses for those who converted to Judaism.

I gotta ask.
    Whats a "self identified Jew"?

Is is like a self identified Black person?
    A self identified traveller?
    Self identified Muslim?

A woman who said I’m Jewish how ****ing dare you etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Fandymo wrote: »
    You’ve never heard of the trail of tears? Or the stolen generation? Read a book ffs.

Yeah iv read all about the 'trail of tears' and the Aboriginal troubles in Australia. Terrible events. There was no genocide though. If either the Australian or American governments of the day enacted an organised genocide then their overwhelming power would have left no Cherokee or Aborigines . There are many of both alive and kicking today.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

"systematic destruction of infrastructure"
    "murder of children"
    "carpet bombing a neighbourhood"
    "targeting civilians"

So much hyperbole in your sentence it's hard to know where to start. The following are not military goals of Israel. If they were, Gaza would be a pile of rubble right now, and there wouldn't be a single person alive.

You need to learn how to be precise in your language. If Israel was so bad you wouldn't need to exaggerate and use the most hyperbolic language to describe it. Turkey did largely the same think to the Kurds recently but nobody seems to either know or care, I'm not sure why.

"Carpet bombing" a neighbourhood FFS get a dictionary.

Erm...it is.

Gaza%20destruction%20topshot%20%28AFP%29.jpg?itok=4DYEO0Va

AP21134371901556.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Yeah iv read all about the 'trail of tears' and the Aboriginal troubles in Australia. Terrible events. There was no genocide though. If either the Australian or American governments of the day enacted an organised genocide then their overwhelming power would have left no Cherokee or Aborigines . There are many of both alive and kicking today.

You point is ludicrous. There are lots of Jews, Tutsis, Bosnians around today. Does that mean that genocide that was perpetrated against them did not happen. Jesus Christ

Fandymo wrote: »
    The definition of a famine is “ extreme scarcity of food.” There was no famine in Ireland. In the 1840s there was lots of food in Ireland, it was mainly exported by the Brits. It was a systematic genocide/ethnic cleansing of the Irish by the Brits to try and force Catholicism out of Ireland. Protestant soup kitchens were abundant for people who denounced their religion, hence the term “soup-takers”. Imagine Israel blockading food into Gaza and opening food houses for those who converted to Judaism.

I'm sorry but your post is incorrect. Most of the food exported in Munster was exported from Cork and limerick by mainly Catholic exporters. That was wrong but we were all British at the time so I think your view of 'us and them' is wrong , but commonly put forward. It was a badly managed and handled event with some individuals who were driven by completely wrong ideals..guys like Trevelyan.
    It's not recognised as a genocide because it wasn't one. Protestant soup kitchens mainly run by Quakers in my area didn't put conditions on the food. Dont try to simplify the Famine. It was a complex event where many 100s of thousands died needlessly but then that's all famines...The Ukrainian one was actually engineered. Ours wasn't.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

This logic is absolutely bonkers. Can't be bothered arguing with someone who has such black and white thinking either.

You point is ludicrous. There are lots of Jews, Tutsis, Bosnians around today. Does that mean that genocide that was perpetrated against them did not happen. Jesus Christ

I would say genocide happened those 3 groups you mention. Systematic and planned eradication of those populations occurred. About 2 to 3 thousand Cherokees died on their march from the South East to Oklahoma. Many died of exposure from lack of blankets.. it was bad management and neglect...not genocide. And the Aboriginal peoples in Australia...theyve suffered but again no genocide.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Jesus wept.

This is like saying just because there are millions of Jews in the world today, their was no genocide against them in WWII.

Just a mind numbingly inept attempt at reasoning. :rolleyes:

A woman who said I’m Jewish how ****ing dare you etc.

So she was Jewish? (Or you didn't believe her?)

Does one apply this "self identifng" "pronoun" to all ethnicities, or ones whose bone fides you suspect? Or just Jews.
    Wholly unnecessary.

Arguing antisemitism isn't specifically a Jewish thing, with a Jew, is rather ignorant.

Germany admits to Genocide in Namibia https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-57279008.

Better get on to the German embassy lads, they've made a huge admission over a mere trifle as accorrding to PeggyS it could not be genocide as some Namibian people survived.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Jesus wept.

This is like saying just because there are millions of Jews in the world today, their was no genocide against them in WWII.

Just a mind numbingly inept attempt at reasoning. :rolleyes:

I think the difference is that there was somebody to stop the genocide of Jews in WWII. If there was a systematic extermination of Australian Aborigines then why did they stop and when did they stop? What happened to make them abandon the "genocide"?

I think the difference is that there was somebody to stop the genocide of Jews in WWII. If there was a systematic extermination of Australian Aborigines then why did they stop and when did they stop? What happened to make them abandon the "genocide"?

The way the Nazis committed genocide on an industrial scale is not the only criteria for genocide.

• Advertisement

Where are you people supporting Imperial genocide getting these views from? Really is a shameful stance trying to downplay some of the most horrific crimes committed by one set of people on another. Actually is sickening point of view.

Yeh, not genocide :rolleyes:

"Massacres were conducted by the following forces: British Army, New South Wales Mounted Police, groups of armed colonists, Border Police, native police, officers of the Western Australia Police and Northern Territory Police and others. Most massacres were perpetrated as summary and indiscriminate punishment for the killing of settlers or the theft and destruction of livestock. There are over nine known cases of deliberate mass poisonings of Aboriginal Australians"

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/mar/04/the-killing-times-the-massacres-of-aboriginal-people-australia-must-confront

Advertisement