Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Israeli - Palestinian Conflict *Threadbans in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,443 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Wasn't this bigoted line of thinking used against JFK? His enemies thought he would be more loyal to the Vatican than to the US.

Would you have a similar thoughts about a Muslim politician facing Mecca several times a day to pray?

The same questions have and will come up, yes.

Obama is not even Muslim yet he had those same concerns leveled at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Ms. Newbie18

batman75 wrote: »
    My last point is, it is no longer or should no longer be that criticism of Israel gets batted away with cries of being anti semitics. It is the state of Israel which is out of order here. The attacks on Palestine must stop. The land grabs must stop.

It is completely mind boggling how many people are trying to claim criticism of a Country (and its actions) are actually anti semitic. When you have no actual recourse the best course you can take is to use anti semitism as a way to deflect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

batman75 wrote: »
    This is a complex topic for me to comment on. I enjoy visiting Israel and love Tel Aviv. I find Jerusalem to be a fascinating city historically and a completely different experience to Tel Aviv. I love the food and the weather. That being said I would completely condemn Israel for their attacks on Gaza. The horribly irony is that Israel view Arabs as the Nazi's view Jews. Clearly no lessons learned.
    As has been said before no US president is an honest broker when it comes to the Arab-Israeli conflict. They will always side with Israel. Their is a troubling lack of humility by Israel towards its Arab neighbour. An Arab life has as much value as a Jewish life. The Palestinian people are truly oppressed and within Israel treated as second class citizens. Just for the record I would condemn Hamas attacks on Israel.
    That being said Israel has, by denying the Palestinian state a port and airport at Gaza, helped create a slum in the Gaza Strip. This is not acceptable and the world has been shameful in allowing one country to deny another basic infrastructure. Again this harks back to how the Nazi's viewed Jews as inferior beings. It is equally shameful how Palestine's Arab neighbours watch as their brethren are treated like the blacks were in South Africa under apartheid.

Have you been to Haifa? It's got a significant Arab population, albeit mostly christian, yet not much trouble if any.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

wes wrote: »

Zionism is a racists ideology, no different than the likes of the KKK, and their aim no different than what Europeans did to native Americans.

If Zionism is a racist ideology, then so is Irish Nationalism.
    "The Island of Ireland owned by the people of Ireland"
    Hamas is not trying to conquer the world. They are hateful racist assholes, but they are a nationalist movement.

They are a terrorist outfit who in their charter explicitly states that they want to kill all jews and drive them back into the sea. This is ISIS level hatred, don't ever forget that.

Put it this way, if it were Jews living in Gaza and Hamas had the military might of the IDF, then they would without thinking exterminate the entire population of Gaza.

Let us not pretend both sides are equal here.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭batman75

Have you been to Haifa? It's got a significant Arab population, albeit mostly christian, yet not much trouble if any.

Yes I have been. Stayed two nights there if I recall correctly. A beautiful city. But the reality is, is that Israel, by stealth has annexed more and more Palestinian land since its inception in 1948. Shamefully the world has let them. This has emboldened them to act with virtual impunity. It is a form of ethnic cleansing where Palestinians are turfed out, of their own land, to make way for Jewish families.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭satguy

We Irish know all too well how it feels when a bigger stronger neighbour, comes and throws us out of our homes, and claims our land as theirs.

With a small bit of help from potato blight and their heavy handedness, our stronger neighbour wiped out half our population.

Now we watch as the same thing happens to the Palestinians, And if you were to watch CNN or NBC you would swear that it was the Palestinians that are causing all the trouble.

The west will never have peace until we stop Israeli aggression.

markodaly wrote: »

They are a terrorist outfit who in their charter explicitly states that they want to kill all jews and drive them back into the sea. This is ISIS level hatred, don't ever forget that.

Put it this way, if it were Jews living in Gaza and Hamas had the military might of the IDF, then they would without thinking exterminate the entire population of Gaza.

Let's then also not pretend that the sides are reversed. Israel sits in the military dominant position and is responding with disproportionate retaliatory strikes, is pursuing illegal settlements, and actively denies a port of entry to Gaza. What Israel is doing already is an extermination.

Overheal wrote: »
    Let's then also not pretend that the sides are reversed. Israel sits in the military dominant position and is responding with disproportionate retaliatory strikes, is pursuing illegal settlements, and actively denies a port of entry to Gaza. What Israel is doing already is an extermination.

Eh no it's not. You can dress it up that way in your head if you want, get all the likes you want for comments like that, but it doesn't change the facts that Israel doesn't want to 'kill' 6 Million or so Arab Palestinians.

I don't agree with Settlements or some of the Israeli actions, but there is a lot of nonsense flag-waving going on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

What about Israel,,, for xxx years their clear and unashamed and published aim is to establish a Jewish homeland in Palestine....they have terrorized the Palestinian people in support of this goal.. they have indulged in state terrorism in support of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭batman75

Your use of the word extermination is so apt here and not at all dramatic. The world allowed a state called Israel to be formed in 1948 following the holocaust. The holocaust should have thought Jewish people to respect their fellow man as an equal. They saw what happened when they weren't treated as an equal. Yet they haven't learned the lessons of history. They are looking to liquidate the hope of the people of Gaza by economic strangulation. The world by watching on is complicit in Israel's dastardly ethnic cleansing and land grabbing. I love being alive but times like this make me despair about the world I live in.

• Advertisement

Eh no it's not. You can dress it up that way in your head if you want,
    I used your word:
    get all the likes you want for comments like that, but it doesn't change the facts that Israel doesn't want to 'kill' 6 Million or so Arab Palestinians.

Say again? Reality on the ground yells differently.

https://twitter.com/rulajebreal/status/1392579942211366915?s=20
    I don't agree with Settlements or some of the Israeli actions, but there is a lot of nonsense flag-waving going on here.

No idea what you mean by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Whatever about the Israeli military retaliating against rocket attacks from Gaza, Israeli citizens now appear to be rampaging through the streets attacking their Arab neighbours and vice versa.
    We are witnessing Israeli nationalism in action and it’s as ugly as unrestrained nationalism anywhere.

When Russia annexes land they are subject to condemnation and sanction. When Israel breaks international law and annexes land..................nothing.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

You know what, I take it back, Israel may actually be very interested to know what is discussed here as the same energy here was once channeled through the Irish ambassador to the UN and shoved in the face of the Israeli ambassador to the UN

He did a great job and he should be up for a commendation.

edit: er - sorry, TD, at the Dail, but etc.

I found the full video

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I find it shocking that Israel is bombing tower blocks where
    Mostly civilians live it seems that Israel can get away with anything there's wrong on both sides hamas should not be firing
    rockets into Israel
    I thinking bombing civilian areas is a war crime
    The problem is there's millions of Jews living in America
    Any politician that speaks out against Israel is accused of being racist or ant Jewish
    The Jewish vote has great influence in america
    What will likely happen is there will be another war
    Israeli cops throwing gas grenades into a mosque where
    people are praying is unacceptable
    There is a form of ethnic cleansing going on as isreali
    forces seem to want to evict palestians from parts of the
    holy city and establish Jewish settlements in formerly
    Muslim areas
    Since Israel has the backing of America it feels free to ignore
    human rights law and attack civilians who have a legal right to protest
    There's plenty of Jews on twitter who are criticizing Israeli for using excessive force and bombing civilian areas

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭KeepItLight

to equate the Israeli ethnic cleansing of Palestinians from their own lands to Irish Nationalism has to be the worst take I have ever read on this forum, and that's saying a lot.

I used your word:

You know what I meant, if Hamas had the military might of the IDF, they would kill and murder all Jews in Israel. Not sure how my words can be misinterpreted.

Say again? Reality on the ground yells differently.

https://twitter.com/rulajebreal/status/1392579942211366915?s=20

Bunch of extremist yobs punching and kicking some poor guy = The State of Israel wants to kill all Arab Palestinians.
    Even for you, that is quite a stretch!

What next, some Loyalist youths rioting in Belfast = Loyalists want to kill all Irish people?

No idea what you mean by that.

We have already had numerous bans handed out for blatant anti-Semitic nonsense posted on this thread. People refuse to condemn Hamas even though they have ISIS level hatred in their veins.

Do you condemn Hamas?

to equate the Israeli ethnic cleansing of Palestinians from their own lands to Irish Nationalism has to be the worst take I have ever read on this forum, and that's saying a lot.

Maybe you should read what I was responding to.

Zionism is apparently a racist ideology, yet Zionism was basically just Jewish Nationalism and a desire for a Jewish state, born in 1896.

Irish Nationalism and the desire for Ireland to be free from British rule is pretty much the same.
    We declare the right of the people of Ireland to the ownership of Ireland and to the unfettered control of Irish destinies, to be sovereign and indefeasible.

Very racist... right?

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Housefree

Some truth finding it's way onto the mainstream US channels

Israel is an apartheid state
    https://www.hrw.org/news/2021/04/27/abusive-israeli-policies-constitute-crimes-apartheid-persecution

Palestinians live under constant human rights abuses
    https://www.amnesty.org/en/countries/middle-east-and-north-africa/israel-and-occupied-palestinian-territories/report-israel-and-occupied-palestinian-territories/

Ireland has a great Palestinian solidarity group
    https://www.ipsc.ie/

Make sure you check out the boycott campaign
    https://bdsmovement.net/

Israel employs an army of social media warriors, make sure you don't get caught up debating them
    https://electronicintifada.net/content/inside-israels-million-dollar-troll-army/27566

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I found the full video

Richard Boyd Barrett (rightfully) got a lot of credit for his grilling of the ambassador, but I quite enjoyed David Norris' questioning also - from 46:00.

Edit: great questions from Jim Walsh also - 1:32:40

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Housefree

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Richard Boyd Barrett (rightfully) got a lot of credit for his grilling of the ambassador, but I quite enjoyed David Norris' questioning also - from 46:00.

The Richard Boyd Barrett video is really blowing up on all social media platforms. Hopefully some news channels get him on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Irish can refer to someone Irish ethnicity and Irish nationality. My parents are Kashmiri, and I am an Irish citizen who was born here. I refer to myself as Irish. It amuses me, that my existence proves how utterly absurd the point you are trying to make is.

Amazing you would state something blatantly false and absurd. It amazing you would falsely attack you own country in this way and make out Ireland out to be racist when that is not the case.

Israel is an ethno state, as per the nation state law, which is far different than what we have here.

ISIS and Hamas are different. Hamas hatred of Israel is due to Zionists actually driving Palestinians into the sea, Palestinians actually fled to Gaza in 1948 via boat. Hamas and ISIS are not comparable. Hamas hates Israel due to Zionists ethnic cleaning Palestinians. It is always amusing when people talk about how Hamas wants to drive Israelis into the sea, when exactly that happened to Palestinians, but I guess it ok when Israel does it.

ISIS are lunatic ****wits who want to kill anyone who disagree with them, which include Hamas, who they have attacked.

As for the Hamas charter, they changed it in 2017:
    Hamas presents new charter accepting a Palestine based on 1967 borders

It should be noted Israel does not accept the 1967 borders, as they were just in the process of ethnic cleansing in Skeikh Jarrah. So at this point Hamas are more open to compromise than Israel.

You seem rather good and pretending it seems and getting angry over things that aren't actually happening and supportive of ethnic cleansing and murder by Israel due to some hypothetical scenarios you invent to justify such a unjustifiable position.

Yes, let not do that at all. You talk about what ifs, and I talk about reality. Israel kills far more civilians than Hamas ever has, and is armed to the teeth and is engage in ethnic cleansing. The 2 sides are not equal at all, one is well armed and well backed aggressor engaged in actual ethnic cleansing and the other side is the victim.

Its amazing to see people unfairly attack their own country to defend another.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

This is utterly ****ing vile:
    https://twitter.com/theIMEU/status/1392629584458309635?s=20

The silence from Western nations condemning the above is deafening and will be remembered by the people the world over, when they hypocritically condemn Palestinians, while aiding and abetting murderous outrages carried by Israel.

Some more video of armed Zionist militias, we are seeing what I can only describe as genocide in real time, and we have Western countries aiding and abetting this crime:

https://twitter.com/rulajebreal/status/1392608098603442176?s=20

I don't know how Palestinians can deal with this utter vile hatred, and so many baying psychopaths on here supporting this genocidal rampage by Zionists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭dasdog

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

wes wrote: »
    >genocide

You keep saying this. I don't think you know what that word means.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

while i agree with what you are saying, you should change "jews" to the state of israel and it's supporters.
    plenty of jews, probably most really, disagree with the behaviour of israel and don't believe the holocaust gives them an excuse to behave how they see fit.

Absolutely correct, badly phrased

• Registered Users Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

SafeSurfer wrote:
    Yet another escalation in this ongoing conflict. There seems little prospect of peace or compromise. Will Israel continue to enjoy the full support of the US and other western governments?

'Mowing the lawn', nothing to see here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,541 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Housefree wrote: »
    The Richard Boyd Barrett video is really blowing up on all social media platforms. Hopefully some news channels get him on

I can’t stand him and his policies. However when it comes to Israel i thinks he’s spot on.

Advertisement