Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Israeli - Palestinian Conflict *Threadbans in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Yeah like do we cede all claims globally to Sudan or Ethiopia, if we follow this logic of who was here first? Or is it about religion? Perhaps the Zoroastrian people can lay claim to Jerusalem?

It was the Jebusites that were in charge of Jerusalem before King David and his mates broke into the place

• Registered Users Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

markodaly wrote: »
    Not making anything up. The plan was not acted on because of violence and attacks on Jewish people by Arabs, thus a civil war broke out.
    It is funny though, the PLO has since the 1980's used this resolution was a basis for a Palestinian state.

Anyway, the Zionists of the time accepted the plan, while the Arabs didn't.... that is just a fact.

You claimed it was a binding international agreement and a Treaty. Total and utter falsehoods. Do you accept that?

And I already outlined why the Palestinians did not accept the plan as it gave the majority of the lands to Israel AND required the forced migration of Palestinians. You reckon they should have just sucked it up? Would you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Housefree

This is a good talk on the apartheid happening in Israel

Don't forget who you could be debating here
    Israel employs an army of social media warriors, make sure you don't get caught up debating them
    https://electronicintifada.net/content/inside-israels-million-dollar-troll-army/27566

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Housefree wrote: »
    This is a good talk on the apartheid happening in Israel

Fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Whatever about the religion aspect - anyone who thinks Israel has any right to continue to PLANT Israeli settlers in Palestinian lands should have a hard look in the mirror and ask yourself do you really think that’s acceptable, do we as Irish people think this is alright?

This is the systematic destruction of a country we are witnessing in our time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,249 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

WE have options here and have had them in previous conflicts: start by requesting the Israel ambassador to leave forthwith and close their embassy here. Individuals & businesses can make purchasing choices that reflect our disapproval of the actions of the state of Israel. There were jews in my class at school, friends and so on - live and let live, no problem with them. But I do have a major problem with the actions of the state of Israel and how it is perpetuating onto others what was done to jews in the past. It's a disgusting entity as it's currently configured, a blight and cancer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭derekgine3

Does anyone predict the Arab/Muslim world in ME uniting standing up for Palestine and giving Israel a does of their own medicine? This seems to be the only scenario that could save the Palestinians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭biddyearley

What a group of bleeding hearts. Here's the true face of Hamas.

Next time you're in Israel in a pizzeria with your kids, look out for her.

derekgine3 wrote: »
    Does anyone predict the Arab/Muslim world in ME uniting standing up for Palestine and giving Israel a does of their own medicine? This seems to be the only scenario that could save the Palestinians.

Can’t see it happening, Israel being a nuclear power and being allied with the US would make any Arab state very wary about interfeeeing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Not really, uncle Sam will go after an beat down into oblivion anyone who tries that, europe and us included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

No they won't. The Palestinians have been long abandoned by the other Arab nations to their fate at the hands of Israel. Only Iran make any noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Yeah clearly everyone here is in favour of Hamas.

I mean if you criticised anything about Israel or its government it means you love Hamas.

I don’t think anybody agrees with the methods of either side. Not so long ago we didn’t fight a “fair” war ourselves to get our country back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

The last time that happened the Egyptians were sent scurrying with their tails between their legs and missing the Sinai peninsula. This is after they sang marching songs about finishing Hitler's job.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

Furze99 wrote: »
    WE have options here and have had them in previous conflicts: start by requesting the Israel ambassador to leave forthwith and close their embassy here. Individuals & businesses can make purchasing choices that reflect our disapproval of the actions of the state of Israel. There were jews in my class at school, friends and so on - live and let live, no problem with them. But I do have a major problem with the actions of the state of Israel and how it is perpetuating onto others what was done to jews in the past. It's a disgusting entity as it's currently configured, a blight and cancer.

Is this standard just for Israel or do you plan to apply it consistently? If you apply it to some security council members I'm sure it'll go well for Ireland. If it is applied just to Israel then it just a bit of hypocritical theatre.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭derekgine3

Does anyone have a curated list of Israeli products/services to boycott?

I've done a bit of research online but haven't came across too much i would use anyway but get the feeling there is a lot of stuff from that region we do not know about.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

For those who doubt the IDF doesn't deliberately kill civilians:
    Israeli veterans say permissive rules of engagement fueled Gaza carnage

Its been long established that the IDF deliberately target and murder civilians. To deny it at this point, I can only call at best dishonest.

From the article:
    The soldiers said they were told by commanders to view all Palestinians in the combat zones as a potential threat, whether they brandished weapons or not. Individuals spotted in windows and rooftops — especially if they were speaking on cellphones — were often considered scouts and could be shot.

A first sergeant serving in the Mechanized Infantry in Gaza told the group, “If we don’t see someone waving a white flag, screaming, ‘I give up’ or something — then he’s a threat and there’s authorization to open fire.”

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

thomas 123 wrote: »
    Whatever about the religion aspect - anyone who thinks Israel has any right to continue to PLANT Israeli settlers in Palestinian lands should have a hard look in the mirror and ask yourself do you really think that’s acceptable, do we as Irish people think this is alright?

Of course.

I would guess that from the Israeli perspective, they make no bones about it.
    The Jewish people have been persecuted throughout history, and since the Holocaust have been carving out a piece of Earth, just for them.

It matters not, from that perspective, what happens the previous people on that land, this is now the home of the Jews.

Obviously though, this is an affront to humanity and justice, but logic and compassion won't win against a deeply felt historical narrative.
    And so here we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

I've done a bit of research online but haven't came across too much i would use anyway but get the feeling there is a lot of stuff from that region we do not know about.

https://bdsmovement.net/get-involved/what-to-boycott

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭cheezums

thomas 123 wrote: »

I dont think anyone here is condoning the plantations that i can see.

• Advertisement

1500 rockets fired indiscriminately into Israel or is it now 2000? 11 Hamas leaders dead, and now the top guys not so keen on meeting the virgins in paradise so they want a ceasefire.

Israel isn't going anywhere, Palestinians need to understand that. How both can come to an accommodation I have no idea. I blame much of the problems on extreme-right wing American Jews who make Ian Paisley look like Bosco. They plus their American Christian supporters who hope for a war so as to fulfill their prophesy of God coming back etc... have much to answer for, as have Hamas whose goal is to destroy Israel, and subjugate people.
    There are few without blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Apple products, particularly iPhones.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

cheezums wrote: »
    I dont think anyone here is condoning the plantations that i can see.

bubblypop and markodaly would be two.

If you're going that way, you'll have to get rid of your computer.

1500 rockets fired indiscriminately into Israel or is it now 2000? 11 Hamas leaders dead, and now the top guys not so keen on meeting the virgins in paradise so they want a ceasefire.

Hamas offered a ceasefire, Israel rejected it:
    Israel vows not to stop Gaza attacks until there is ‘complete quiet’

Also, Israel claiming they killed Hamas leaders is worthless, they consider the police force Hamas, or anyone in the civil service to be Hamas:

Gaza: Police Headquarters destroyed by Israel as fighting escalates

Israeli gov is the aggressor and has chosen to continue its aggression.

If you're going that way, you'll have to get rid of your computer.

This is of course nonsense. PCS are mostly made in China, and the software dev is done by multi-nationals all over the world.

BDS is tactical, it doesn't have to be perfect. People boycott what they reasonable can, they don't need to perfect in it. Best effort is more than enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Two state region with an international neutral East Jerusalem is the only way for peace.

Or else let the Jews slowly continue their plantations, their genocide and erode slowly the state of Palestine. Disgraceful. America should be ashamed of itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Yes. Ismail does not want to be a martyr. That's for the military wing and foot soliders. Although your friend Bibi might send Ismail a thank you note in a bit if this latest round of fighting leads to an increase in his popularity. I'm sure the timing of all this is just a coincidence.

Varadkar mentioned international observers have been sent from Ireland - that would indicate we doubt the Israeli version of events imo. I wonder what Biden will do.

The lynchings they are showing on TV are mad. Showing people killing others live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Iran is the only force that could stand up to the US.

Why has the EU and UN abandoned the region though

Advertisement