Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Israeli - Palestinian Conflict *Threadbans in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭thomas 123

wes wrote: »
    This is of course nonsense. PCS are mostly made in China, and the software dev is done by multi-nationals all over the world.

BDS is tactical, it doesn't have to be perfect. People boycott what they reasonable can, they don't need to perfect in it. Best effort is more than enough.

Mostly powered by a chip made by Intel.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

thomas 123 wrote: »
    Varadkar mentioned international observers have been sent from Ireland - that would indicate we doubt the Israeli version of events imo. I wonder what Biden will do.

The lynchings they are showing on TV are mad. Showing people killing others live.

Biden will do nothing but carry on supporting Israel.
    Some American traditions do not change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

Something tells me the Palestine solidarity larpers will lose their gumption if they had to get rid of their Israel tainted iPhones

• Registered Users Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Intel also have a fab making chips in Ireland fyi.
    Not to mention that AMD (US) have a large chunk of desktop marketshare also.

And plenty of tablets, notebooks and all phones are ARM processors. Not Intel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

We make Intel chips in Ireland lol:
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/13946/intel-submits-ireland-fab-expansion-plan-8-billion

Intels has plenty of fabs, and lets not forget TSMC as well, I think they have fabs in Taiwan, but not sure off the top of my head and also they have more elsewhere as well.

Also, Intel expanding in Arizona:
    https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2021/03/intel-building-new-fabs-to-try-to-regain-relevance-but-tsmc-surges-ahead.html

All this stuff is made all over the world, the claims it is mainly in Israel is laughable.

Still, as I said before BDS is tactical, doesn't need to be perfect.

• Advertisement

ypres5 wrote: »
    Something tells me the Palestine solidarity larpers will lose their gumption if they had to get rid of their Israel tainted iPhones

I think Apple has moved away from intel on the phones and is in the process of moving away for mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭KeepItLight

ypres5 wrote: »

"people use iPhones, which use some Israeli-funded components, therefore the Israeli ethnic cleansing of Palestinians is justified. Checkmate losers"

Have to laugh at the people who condemn Israel for responding military against Hamas.

If Northern Ireland were a cancerous Jihadist cesspit, firing rockets into the south on a daily basis and killing Irish children, I have no doubt in my mind what the public reaction / and government response, would be.

We make Intel chips in Ireland lol:
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/13946/intel-submits-ireland-fab-expansion-plan-8-billion

Intels has plenty of fabs, and lets not forget TSMC as well, I think they have fabs in Taiwan, but not sure off the top of my head and also they have more elsewhere as well.

Also, Intel expanding in Arizona:
    https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2021/03/intel-building-new-fabs-to-try-to-regain-relevance-but-tsmc-surges-ahead.html

All this stuff is made all over the world, the claims it is mainly in Israel is laughable.

Still, as I said before BDS is tactical, doesn't need to be perfect.

My bad - I had thought Intel was an Israeli company!

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/corporate-responsibility/intel-in-israel.html

Today I learned ^

I think Apple has moved away from intel on the phones and is in the process of moving away for mac.

Apple never used intel cpus in iPhones.

That said they do have a large R&D centre in Israel but plenty of tech companies do - computing is an international field now, almost every product is a joint venture by offices in multiple countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭KeepItLight

eskimohunt wrote: »
    Have to laugh at the people who condemn Israel for responding military against Hamas.

If Northern Ireland were a cancerous Jihadist cesspit, firing rockets into the south on a daily basis and killing Irish children, I have no doubt in my mind what the public reaction / and government response, would be.

NI would be justified in firing rockets into the Republic, if the Republic was a foreign people stealing their land and murdering them.

If Northern Ireland were throwing rocks at Irish citizens, would be retaliate by shooting and bombing them? I dont think so

Or... if a nation subjugated us to the point of organizing flying columns and assasinatons... oh wait we already did that (before rockets existed).

What did the brits think of us then?

Yeah, Apple is designing their own silicon, and I think TSMC is the fab that is going to make them.

The IRA killed a lot of civilians back in the day.
    I would imagine there would have been some outrage had the RAF levelled blocks of flats in West Belfast in response.

But again, it's not so much the terrible violence of the Israeli military response (bad enough), but their unwillingness to genuinely push forward a peace initiative.
    The continued illegal settlements are proof of that.
    They seem, to me, to be happy see the status quo continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Biden will do nothing but carry on supporting Israel.
    Some American traditions do not change.

I am not entirely certain the photo is genuine, but if so I'm pretty sure that bomb was made in the US:

Israel-Gaza-bomb.jpg
    A picture of the moment when a house of the Abdeen family was bombed in Rafah, in the southern Gaza Strip
    https://israelpalestine.liveuamap.com/en/2021/13-may-a-picture-of-the-moment-when-a-house-of-the-abdeen

• Registered Users Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Two state region with an international neutral East Jerusalem is the only way for peace.

Or else let the Jews slowly continue their plantations, their genocide and erode slowly the state of Palestine. Disgraceful. America should be ashamed of itself.

In 2018 Israel enacted a constitutional law that says:
    1. Jerusalem, united and undivided, is the capital of Israel (Trump in his infinite wisdom endorsed this view by announcing the movement of the embassy to Jerusalem),
    2. Enshrined the concept of settlements in Basic Law and that the Israeli state would encourage and promote settlements,
    3. That the right to exercise national self-determination in Israel is unique to Jews only. This essentially enshrines an apartheid between Jews and non-Jews.
    4. Downgraded the status of the Arabic language in Israel.

Israel has zero interest in a two state solution and will simply continue the decades old process of ethnic cleansing of Palestinians.

cnocbui wrote: »
    I am not entirely certain the photo is genuine, but if so I'm pretty sure that bomb was made in the US:

Israel-Gaza-bomb.jpg

https://israelpalestine.liveuamap.com/en/2021/13-may-a-picture-of-the-moment-when-a-house-of-the-abdeen

I saw that earlier, an epic image (it is genuine from what I can see).
    I'm not sure about the military details, but I assume that Israel does buy military assets from the US?

timmyntc wrote: »
    If Northern Ireland were throwing rocks at Irish citizens, would be retaliate by shooting and bombing them? I dont think so

People invoking the North is bizarre. The British didn't respond to the IRA by bombing Dublin back to the stone age.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

People invoking the North is bizarre. The British didn't respond to the IRA by bombing Dublin back to the stone age.

They also don't evict families in Dublin. And build houses all over meath.

• Advertisement

I saw that earlier, an epic image (it is genuine from what I can see).
    I'm not sure about the military details, but I assume that Israel does buy military assets from the US?

Some - the US gift them about $4 b worth each and every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

You have that arse backwards.

Israel are the aggressors. It's Hamas responding.

The south wouldn't be and has not set up shop in N.I. and bulldozed or evicted Unionists/Protestants to make way for Irish Catholics, coming down like a hammer on any protests. If we did I'd say any comeback was brought on by ourselves.

In fact despite the annexation of sections of Ulster, we are looking to democratically address that.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Housefree

derekgine3 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a curated list of Israeli products/services to boycott?

I've done a bit of research online but haven't came across too much i would use anyway but get the feeling there is a lot of stuff from that region we do not know about.

Worth checking out the great Irish Solidarity Campaign as well

https://www.ipsc.ie/

Shebean wrote: »
    You have that arse backwards.

Israel are the aggressors. It's Hamas responding.

The south wouldn't be and has not set up shop in N.I. and bulldozed or evicted Unionists/Protestants to make way for Irish Catholics, coming down like a hammer on any protests. If we did I'd say any comeback was brought on by ourselves.

In fact despite the annexation of sections of Ulster, we are looking to democratically address that.

The problem with the cause and effect argument is that conflicts get trapped in cycles of tit for tat violence.
    We have seen this close to home.

In the end of the day, whatever about the historical roots of the conflict, the solution is similar.
    Listening and understanding, with the support of outside help.

(my God, that sounds so twee, I know it's not marriage counselling... but I think there is some truth there).

They also don't evict families in Dublin. And build houses all over meath.

Not recently anyway.

cnocbui wrote: »
    This whole thing is just a deliberate attempt by Netanyahu to hold on to power.

4th May: Netanyahu failed to form a new government and lost his mandate

5th May Israel’s president asks Netanyahu opponent to form government

7th May: Scores of Palestinians hurt as Israel police storm Al Aqsa

So by deliberately provoking this strife, Netanyahu will likely hang on to power for at least as many more years as he can keep this carnage going for. Doesn't matter if some Israelis die in order to keep him in power a bit longer - look at the big picture; the ends justfy the means.

Palestinian deaths don't matter and never did.

I have to laugh at people who can't see past the rhetoric and work out who started it and why.
    Consider Netanyahu’s position. For the fourth time in a row, he has just failed to get an election outcome that will let him create and lead a coalition government. He is on trial on serious corruption charges, and may go to jail if he does not remain prime minister.
    https://www.smh.com.au/world/middle-east/never-mind-who-started-it-it-s-clear-who-benefits-from-the-violence-in-gaza-and-israel-right-now-20210513-p57rp0.html

Not recently anyway.

That's for another thread ;)

The problem with the cause and effect argument is that conflicts get trapped in cycles of tit for tat violence.
    We have seen this close to home.

In the end of the day, whatever about the historical roots of the conflict, the solution is similar.
    Listening and understanding, with the support of outside help.

(my God, that sounds so twee, I know it's not marriage counselling... but I think there is some truth there).

This kicked off because Israel are evicting Palestinians to take their land today.
    This first needs to stop.

This kicked off because Israel are evicting Palestinians to take their land today.
    This first needs to stop.

It does, I agree.
    But first? And if not?

All aspects of the conflict need to be tackled in tandem.
    But the leadership on both sides is awful.

My opinion is that it is ultimately up to the Israeli government to present a realistic plan for an end to the conflict.
    But they won't, because they are in their comfort zone regardless.
    They are not feeling the pain of the injustice they inflict.

When there are no missiles fired from Gaza, the injustice continues, and so ultimately does the cycle of violence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

derekgine3 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a curated list of Israeli products/services to boycott?

I've done a bit of research online but haven't came across too much i would use anyway but get the feeling there is a lot of stuff from that region we do not know about.

https://www.ipsc.ie/campaigns/consumer-boycott

The Israeli barcode starts with the numbers 729.

Advertisement