Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Israeli - Palestinian Conflict *Threadbans in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Potatoeman wrote: »
    The Palestinians should never voted in Hamas. They just use the civilians as shields. It would be like Ireland voting in SF during the troubles and letting them launch rockets from the republic into the north then crying foul when they retaliate. If you don’t play by the rules then you can’t cry foul when your opponent doesn’t.

The Israelis use the same civilians as shields, and the Palestinians didnt even vote them in :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭prishtinaboy99

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    What's going on is heart breaking.
    People pick sides like it's a game of soccer.

Anyone who is absolutely on one side or the other has to put themselves in the other person's situation.

For me, I think the Palestinian people have suffered far, far more from this conflict, which ultimately they did not create.
    I support them politically, and oppose the actions of Israel by any meagre means I can. There needs to be more pressure on Israel to make them feel the pain of the injustice they inflict on the Palestinian population.

But I think of that little child in Israel who was murdered by rockets fired from Gaza; his life and the mourning of his parents are just as real as those on the other side of the border.

I know there is a peaceful way out of this nightmare, and I give my support to any people of that region making the tough task of creating peace.

Unfortunately not as long as Netanyahu remains propped up by the orthodox right.Hopefully the investigations into his dodgy dealings with his family and financial wrongdoings will put an end to him. Hamas Are given oxygen partly due to his apartheid politics.

Irish people should understand the how the extremists survive due to the politics of the oppressors.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,305 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

ypres5 wrote: »
    Just so long as they're not owned by those sneaky lying biased Jews eh? This thread is hitting Eric Cartman levels of antisemitism

There it is again, the antisemitism card being played. Utterly predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

loughside wrote: »
    Good to see the Israeli Army obliterating these terrorist scum.

Calling murdered civilians including children, terrorist scum is beyond the pale. Utterly repugnant and disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

More Israeli attacks on civilians in Gaza, they seem really intent on making life difficult for children particularly.

https://twitter.com/ajplus/status/1393178450417143812

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Potatoeman wrote: »
    The Palestinians should never voted in Hamas. They just use the civilians as shields. It would be like Ireland voting in SF during the troubles and letting them launch rockets from the republic into the north then crying foul when they retaliate. If you don’t play by the rules then you can’t cry foul when your opponent doesn’t.

'Palestinians in Gaza'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

thomas 123 wrote: »
    Nobody said that - Why are you trying to make it appear that way?

You picked your source, I told you it’s potentially biased.(not just on this topic by the way)

Illustrate your point with a variety of sources.

Reuters is good with me thanks and same with media bias fact check. Are you this scrutinizing with people who post links from electronic intifada and various other pro Palestine sources or is it just the Jewish owned media?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mediabiasfactcheck.com/reuters/%3famp=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭thomas 123

wes wrote: »
    Calling murdered civilians including children, terrorist scum is beyond the pale. Utterly repugnant and disgusting.

Note who thanked it: mr “when did I say X, prove it”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

namloc1980 wrote: »
    There it is again, the antisemitism card being played. Utterly predictable.

If the boot fits, wear it.

Some images of families being forced from their homes by Israeli attacks.

https://twitter.com/ajplus/status/1393189855232888835

• Advertisement

Israel has never played by the "rules". Every single elected Israeli government since 1967 has expanded settlements.

Hamas was founded in 1987, and at that point Israeli settlement expansions had been ongoing for decades.

Wasting your time talking about settlements as most of the pro-IDF crowd here have no idea about the history of the conflict. They don't understand (or care) that Palestinians in the West Bank live in over 150 ghettoized pockets walled in and surrounded by an aggressive Israeli military occupation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Reuters is good with me thanks and same with media bias fact check. Are you this scrutinizing with people who post links from electronic intifada and various other pro Palestine sources or is it just the Jewish owned media?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mediabiasfactcheck.com/reuters/%3famp=1

Yes I do. Most publications have a conscious bias.

What can’t really be disputed is footage from people on both sides which is widely shared via social media, that’s what I’ve based my opinion on so far, and what the UN’s actions so far. We will also have reports from Irish international observers shortly.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Unfortunately not as long as Netanyahu remains propped up by the orthodox right.Hopefully the investigations into his dodgy dealings with his family and financial wrongdoings will put an end to him. Hamas Are given oxygen partly due to his apartheid politics.

Irish people should understand the how the extremists survive due to the politics of the oppressors.

This is always the complicating factor, and you make a valid parallel.
    There is also a powerful, if small, Left movement in Israel too, but they don't get much media publicity from outside Israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,023 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I note plenty of the knuckle-dragging bigots of SF/IRA in this one supporting their comrades in the PLO/Hamas terrorist organisations.

Supporter of British colonialism in Israel colonialism support shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

o1s1n wrote: »
    Supporter of British colonialism in Israel colonialism support shocker.

The irony being that the founders of Israel killed dozens of British soldiers during a terrorist campaign to achieve the founding of Israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Absolutely no antisemitism on the Palestinian side, none at all.
    While you and I have the luxury of distance that allows us to understand that what Israel is doing doesn't reflect on all Jews, someone sitting in Gaza today whose families have been terrorised by Israeli armed forces for five generations, doesn't have that luxury.

To them, Israel is a monster. Its people are monsters who vote for racist psychopaths like Bibi. To the Palestinians, Bibi is Hitler. That's not rhetoric, that's fact.
    To the average Palestinian, all Israelis hate Palestinians, and actively work to cause as much death and destruction in Gaza as possible.
    And since Israel self-declares as the home of Jews, then it's not a gigantic leap to understand why that Palestinian believes all Jews to be evil.

We don't have to agree with it, but we can still understand it.

The Israelis don't have an understandable perspective for their hatred. "We read in this really old book of fables that Jewish people used to live here, so we came over and started kicking the native people out, but they fought back. Can you believe that? They must be evil".

• Registered Users Posts: 83,483 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The posts were deleted along with another charming one implying people killed in the Holocaust were cowards for not fighting back. But no antisemitism on this thread no siree.

It was deleted because it’s not tolerated here. So you can stop bleating on about antisemitism being the driver of criticism here.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If the boot fits, wear it.

It doesn't fit. The palestinians are also semites. Being anti-zionist is not the same as being anti-jew

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭prishtinaboy99

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    This is always the complicating factor, and you make a valid parallel.
    There is also a powerful, if small, Left movement in Israel too, but they don't get much media publicity from outside Israel.

Of course when you had an Israeli Prime Minister who was willing to make a meaningful dialogue with the Palestinian authority he was shot dead by the right wing inspired element and there ended any chance of peace for many generations to come.

Even later Ehud Barak who was no shrinking violet was also ostracized when he made moves to find some sort of deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

seamus wrote: »
    Since the IDF are openly admitting that they are engaged in terrorism on Palestinian soil, only a fool would give their "explanations" any space in one's brain;

https://twitter.com/IDF/status/1392197029355470848?s=20

They are striking terror alright, into the whole of the Gazan community.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭myfreespirit

You would be right, if the post you quoted said that.
    But it did not, you selectively quoted a small part of it, so you are not debating in good faith.
    Just sayin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I note plenty of the knuckle-dragging bigots of SF/IRA in this one supporting their comrades in the PLO/Hamas terrorist organisations.

Ironic. The state of Israel was founded by terrorists.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/5/14/palestinians-in-gaza-recount-ruthless-horrors-of-israeli-raids

Horrific stories of the terror being inflicted on women and children in Gaza by attacks on civilian areas by Israel.
    Difficult to imagine the conditions children are enduring.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

cnocbui wrote: »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_David_Hotel_bombing

This I believe was the first largescale act of violence in Israel- committed by Zionists and not Arabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,483 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Israel should continue the operation until all strategic objectives have been achieved, neutralizing any threats from Hamas operatives and command and control.

This will be achieved in as targeted a manner as possible.

Some civilians may perish, and that is a negative strategic outcome, but many more civilians will die if Hamas is allowed to send unfettered numbers of rockets into Israel to sow the destruction they yearn for.

There is no solution here where no innocent civilians die.

Hamas have made it their raison d'etre to kill as many Israeli civilians as possible.

It's in their charter.

Read it.

Would that be the current charter post 2017 or an obsolete one that better suits your narrative?

Please provide a link.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/5/14/palestinians-in-gaza-recount-ruthless-horrors-of-israeli-raids

Horrific stories of the terror being inflicted on women and children in Gaza by attacks on civilian areas by Israel.
    Difficult to imagine the conditions children are enduring.

You mean "negative collateral outcome". That's what one of the Pro-IDF crowd said it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Five Eighth

Outrageous comment. Most people (including posters here) are not anti-Semitic. People naturally feel sympathy for civilians and, in particular, children. People naturally feel sympathy for people being evicted from their homes and land. Israel has a right to defend itself but as the military power, it should respond proportionately to any act of aggression.
    Compare:
    Israel:
    Full time army - 170,000
    Part-time reservists - 450,000
    Airforce - 595
    Tanks - 2,760
    Gaza:
    Rockets.

Criticising the actions of the Israeli government is not being anti-Semitic.

Israel now attacking media buildings, is this a war crime?
    https://twitter.com/KenRoth/status/1392967686221713413

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

cnocbui wrote: »

A lot of countries were founded on violence, which could be considered terrorist, ours included.

Yet, how Israel carved out its land is notable for how recent it was, the scale of the ethnic cleansing, and how it still continues to this day, still stealing land.
    And even more so, is protected and funded by the biggest military, economic and cultural force in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

You would be right, if the post you quoted said that.
    But it did not, you selectively quoted a small part of it, so you are not debating in good faith.
    Just sayin'.

The poster was clearly saying everyone killed was a terrorist. Most of the people killed were civilians and were deliberately killed by the IDF. The accusatory statement before that statement doesn't change a damn thing.

Dishonest to pretend otherwise. What was said was clear as day, open celebration of IDFs (they admitted this btw) terrorism campaign. Sickening in the extreme imo.

Advertisement