Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Israeli - Palestinian Conflict *Threadbans in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,495 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

harmless wrote: »
    Coveney knows why the UN security council failed to make a statement.
    He knows the country that continuously uses its veto.
    It's been done for many years.

Heavy aerial bombardment has now restarted in Gaza. Expect to hear of many more civilian casualties in the morning.

Imagine if during the troubles, after the IRA attacked Manchester, London, Birmingham... the British launched bombing assault on the falls road in retaliation ? Killing and maiming innocent people...

It’s the same here...this situation..

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Strumms wrote: »
    Imagine if during the troubles, after the IRA attacked Manchester, London, Birmingham... the British launched bombing assault on the falls road in retaliation ? Killing and maiming innocent people...

It’s the same here...this situation..

But they did. There were 'repercussions' for IRA attacks. One mortar launch might mean a month of assaults and hundreds dead.
    Catholic homes could be invaded and ransacked for no cause. A kid was thrown into the lagan for no reason other than his belief. A friend of mind (Catholic) was hospitalised because she was Catholic. Walls were built between communities.
    Inter religion marriages were not frowned upon but violenced against.

The common demoniator here is religion. The fundamentalists hate each other and regular people (both sides) are caught between them.

There is no winning for the good people here. Its two sides that hate each other, tear strips into people that just want to live. and the more it goes on, the more it spreads fanaticism on both sides.

Edit: just want to point out you don't see francie here for those that have seen him/her #onetrackband

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭RulesOfNature

No need to wonder. There are 12 such tweets containing 2,156 rockets (quick count). Followed by:

https://twitter.com/Israel/status/1394321812348186629

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Excellent monologue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Israel will of course bring about the next major war. Sooner or later Israel is going to overstep the mark, encroach on Egypt, Iraq or Saudi under the auspices of "self defence", then all hell will break loose as the US, Russia and Europe are dragged into a proxy war.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,516 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Probably the Israeli kill quota for today.

They really are a horrible detestable bunch. It's almost like tongue in cheek banter to them.

Its the level of hatred and lack of humanity Israel shows that astounds me whilst at the same time playing the victim.

They think they are hoodwinking the world but most decent minded people can see right through them.

The Biden Admin has provided a pathetic response. His stock has certainly diminished here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Not sure if related but US cargo planes using our military bases now. - news to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Israel V Palestine
    Shooting fish in a barrel comes to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

thomas 123 wrote: »
    Not sure if related but US cargo planes using our military bases now. - news to me.
    Been going on for years, common enough. During the US attack on Iraq there were US military planes using Shannon for stop-offs. Caused a lot of anger.

The one brought up on Twitter seems to have flown to Prestwick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭thomas 123

seamus wrote: »
    Been going on for years, common enough. During the US attack on Iraq there were US military planes using Shannon for stop-offs. Caused a lot of anger.

The one brought up on Twitter seems to have flown to Prestwick.

Yeah well aware of Shannon! A little sad considering our neutrality.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Israel will of course bring about the next major war. Sooner or later Israel is going to overstep the mark, encroach on Egypt, Iraq or Saudi under the auspices of "self defence", then all hell will break loose as the US, Russia and Europe are dragged into a proxy war.

Israel is on friendly terms with Egypt, and Egypt is no friend of Hamas or any of the other Islamic factions. Any chance of conflict with Egypt went out with the Muslim brotherhood and Morsi.

The Saudis only care about themselves, and from the crown princes comments about Palestine I don't think they even make the list.

Iraq doesn't have 2 pennies to rub together.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

How is this not a terror attack:
    Man arrested after car hits pro-Palestinian protesters in Nottingham

These types of terror attacks on protesters from those on the right, receive little coverage, and right wing politicians want to make these terror attack legal as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Varik wrote: »
    Israel is on friendly terms with Egypt, and Egypt is no friend of Hamas or any of the other Islamic factions. Any chance of conflict with Egypt went out with the Muslim brotherhood and Morsi.

The Saudis only care about themselves, and from the crown princes comments about Palestine I don't think they even make the list.

Iraq doesn't have 2 pennies to rub together.

Yep, the states that should care about the Palestinians are selfish pricks who won't let the plight of their brethern get in the way of making money.

Palestinians really are an unfortunate people.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I don't think so. I can see a situation where Israel bombs Iranian nuclear facilities, but even then i don't see America and Russia being on opposing sides in a proxy war. Remember that Russia has quite good relations with Israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Mimon wrote: »
    Yep, the states that should care about the Palestinians are selfish pricks who won't let the plight of their brethern get in the way of making money.

merit in the theory that the plight of the palestinians suits the despots who rule much of the arab world , the israeli palestinian endless dispute keeps the " arab street " distracted from the domestic situations in their own countries ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Mimon wrote: »

Siding with Iraq against Kuwait unlike most of the region was the beginning, there were expulsions from a few Arab countries over that and even now it's not forgotten.

Arab countries are probably concerned that support for Hamas could lead to strengthening of local Islamic factions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I don't think so. I can see a situation where Israel bombs Iranian nuclear facilities, but even then i don't see America and Russia being on opposing sides in a proxy war. Remember that Russia has quite good relations with Israel.

Russian ability to egg on a proxy war is quite small, its economy is about 1/13th that of Americas.

If they made it serious for America, America could really up the ante and not notice the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

They really are a horrible detestable bunch. It's almost like tongue in cheek banter to them.

Its the level of hatred and lack of humanity Israel shows that astounds me whilst at the same time playing the victim.
    Perhaps you thought it refers to Israeli rockets? Those are Palestinian rockets sent at Israel.

• Advertisement

wes wrote: »
    How is this not a terror attack:
    Man arrested after car hits pro-Palestinian protesters in Nottingham

These types of terror attacks on protesters from those on the right, receive little coverage, and right wing politicians want to make these terror attack legal as well.

Yeah... no. If a gang of 30+ angry people are surrounding my car and banging on it, I'm not going to roll down the window and politely ask them if I can help them with anything. No matter the law, it's just not going to happen.

And if the legal situation is that a man gets jailed or criminally convicted for driving away from a situation like that, and in the process incidentally injures one of the people who was standing in front of his car, blocking his way and banging on the bonnet, the law will absolutely change because the public at large do not want to be harassed in their cars on the road by gangs of potentially violent thugs, regardless of what they're "protesting" at the time.

If it were the EDL banging on that car you'd have no problem seeing this for exactly what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Varik wrote: »
    Siding with Iraq against Kuwait unlike most of the region was the beginning, there were expulsions from a few Arab countries over that and even now it's not forgotten.

Arab countries are probably concerned that support for Hamas could lead to strengthening of local Islamic factions.

Thought it was a few opportunistic Palestinians who were based in Kuwait who jumped on the Iraqi bandwagon when they invaded? Barely remember it but don't think the PLO officially backed Iraq?

wes wrote: »
    Car hitting the person was probably not intended to kill her or him but trying to get away.

Could it have been a protest where protesters surround the car on the road and frighten or even threaten the driver?
    We've seen it before.

Video of the incident. The car is literally swarmed with people.
    Lesson here - don't stand in the road. Don't threaten drivers.
    https://twitter.com/DoubleDownNews/status/1394234992465694725?s=20

biko wrote: »
    Car hitting the person was probably not intended to kill her or him but trying to get away.

Could it have been a protest where protesters surround the car on the road and frighten or even threaten the driver?
    We've seen it before.

Video of the incident. Lesson here - don't stand in the road. Don't threaten drivers.
    https://twitter.com/DoubleDownNews/status/1394234992465694725?s=20

This one is only a second longer, but you can more clearly see the mob surrounding the car:

https://twitter.com/shamsk29/status/1393621142548713479

A terror attack would be a car driving up on the footpath in the expressed intent of hitting people.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,305 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Gonna be a tricky one for the police to untangle that one. Can't tell what's going on there from the videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭quokula

It says a lot about the mindset of people that defend Israel's brutality when they think trying to kill someone with a car is ok if that person had the cheek to be walking on the road.

quokula wrote: »
    It says a lot about the mindset of people that defend Israel's brutality when they think trying to kill someone with a car is ok if that person had the cheek to be walking on the road.

You are a dishonest actor and nobody here should take you seriously, regardless of their position.

quokula wrote: »
    You probably don't stand in the road usually, why would you do it because you want to protest a foreign conflict?
    Don't you understand how intimidating it is when you and your crowd swarm a car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

biko wrote: »
    You probably don't stand in the road usually, why would you do it because you want to protest a foreign conflict?
    Don't you understand how intimidating it is when you and your crowd swarm a car?

It's a while since I read the old rules of the road but as far as I can remember you are not allowed to plow people down in your car even if they are standing in the road.

Advertisement