Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Israeli - Palestinian Conflict *Threadbans in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Scoundrel wrote: »
    It's a while since I read the old rules of the road but as far as I can remember you are not allowed to plow people down in your car even if they are standing in the road.

It amazing how quickly right wingers are defending terrorism, when its one of their doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

If it were the EDL banging on that car you'd have no problem seeing this for exactly what it is.

So, just to be clear, you would view this incident the same way if it was protestors supporting Israel that were banging on the car, you would assume the poor driver was scared and just trying to get out of the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

In good news 2 Zionazi occupiers were killed in a rocket attack in Eshkol.

Its not good news, when someone is killed. Its a failure, regardless of the why.

It's a while since I read the old rules of the road but as far as I can remember you are not allowed to plow people down in your car even if they are standing in the road.

In this situation, the law is neither here nor there. If you and a large gang of your chums start crowding around a car and banging on it (which I hope we can agree is quite a different thing to "standing in the road"), there is a very strong likelihood that the driver of that car will see you as a threat. If they see you as a threat of physical harm, then they're going to do what they can to get themselves out of that situation and taken their chances with the law later. And that will most likely mean revving/moving slowly and if necessary, forcing their vehicle through the throng.

And if those sorts of situations become common enough, it is likely that your average law-abiding, voting citizen will be sympathetic to the driver and will want to ensure that they are not at risk of criminal charge if they find themselves in a similar situation (regardless of what cause the protestors are going to bat for).

• Advertisement

So, just to be clear, you would view this incident the same way if it was protestors supporting Israel that were banging on the car, you would assume the poor driver was scared and just trying to get out of the area.

We know full well they would be calling it terrorism. The right are just making excuses for terrorism, as they usually do when its one of their doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

wes wrote: »
    It amazing how quickly right wingers are defending terrorism, when its one of their doing it.
    Was the driver a right-winger? How can you tell?

Left-wingers need to understand that although they are riled up they must not intimidate or harm other human beings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

How is this not a terror attack:
    Man arrested after car hits pro-Palestinian protesters in Nottingham

These types of terror attacks on protesters from those on the right, receive little coverage, and right wing politicians want to make these terror attack legal as well.

Can you point where it say in the article it was a terror attack?

Sounds more like a guy got pissed off with protesters blocking the road and he clipped one. A leg injury. Not a broken leg. A leg injury which would suggest it's not much more than a bang.

Why try make something out of nothing?

Yes. I wouldn't be asking questions or looking at flags if my car were surrounded by an angry mob banging on it, and I don't expect anyone else to have to. An angry mob is an angry mob, and I'd be more concerned with my safety—and that of my children, were they in the car—than of any possible legal penalty down the line or the opinion of nacho libre from boards dot i e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

biko wrote: »
    Left-wingers need to understand that although they are riled up they must not intimidate or harm other human beings.

Like the upset left wingers who invaded the US capitol and killed policemen?

Uniformed police officer in Britain shouts "Free Palestine".
    Met Police investigating as officers are not supposed to take sides in demonstrations.
    What if she had shouted "Stop attacking Israel?"

https://twitter.com/0_politics2/status/1394541210803609600?s=20

cnocbui wrote: »
    Like the upset left wingers who invaded the US capitol and killed policemen?
    No policemen were killed by protestors at the US Capitol.
    I'm pretty sure you can find further info in the Capitol thread. This thread is for Israel /Palestine conflict.

No policemen were killed by protestors at the US Capitol.
    I'm pretty sure you can find further info in the Capitol thread. This thread is for Israel /Palestine conflict.
    But investigators said that if the medical examiner finds he was hit in the head and that contributed to a stroke and his death, that would be murder. And because it happened on federal property, those responsible would be charged with murder in federal court.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-capitol-police-officer-dies-from-stroke-following-wednesday-breach-at-capitol/ar-BB1czfNE

Your boy scout hair splitting badge is coming in useful. You chose to broaden the scope with the genric 'wing' disparagement.

Do you have anything to say about the Israel/Palestine conflict?

Do you have anything to say about the Israel/Palestine conflict?

I have addressed it a few times in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,305 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Anyway back to the actual topic. Things are heating up a bit in the West Bank as well.

cnocbui wrote: »
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-capitol-police-officer-dies-from-stroke-following-wednesday-breach-at-capitol/ar-BB1czfNE

Your boy scout hair splitting badge is coming in useful. You chose to broaden the scope with the genric 'wing' disparagement.

Update from April:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/capitol-police-officer-brian-sicknick-died-natural-causes-after-riot-n1264562
    Diaz told The Washington Post that the autopsy found no evidence that Sicknick experienced an allergic reaction to chemical irritants. He also said there was no evidence of either external or internal injuries.

No dog in that fight, but I'm sure you would rather have the correct, updated information, so as to not look silly when you condescend.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,483 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

As you said it’s been a while

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/22/us/oklahoma-law-drivers-protesters/index.html

Expect this to replicate to Israel and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,483 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Israel is doing what

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Overheal wrote: »
    Israel is doing what

Killing women and children.

Hoboo wrote: »
    Can you point where it say in the article it was a terror attack?

That was my point, it should be considered a terrorist attack. If ISIS does it and its terrorism, then its terrorism, when other people do it.

Also, if this was the other way round, you can be sure it would be called terroism.

Palestinians all across historic Palestine have engaged in a general strike:
    In Pictures: In show of unity, Palestinians go on strike

People risking their livelihoods, and their lives doing this. Its not getting much attention. Its an unprecedented peaceful action, but it will of course be called anti-Semitism or violent, despite being a perfect example of peaceful resistance.

Remember all Palestinian resistance is met with violence, doesn't matter if its peaceful or not. In fact Palestinians merely existing is enough of a reason for Zionist violence against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

That was my point, it should be considered a terrorist attack. If ISIS does it and its terrorism, then its terrorism, when other people do it.

Also, if this was the other way round, you can be sure it would be called terroism.

Doesn't it have to be purported by on behalf of a recognised terror organisation to be a terrorist attack?

Indeed if ISIS or a supporter did it this would meet the classification.

I know people love to use words like terrorism for everything but got to keep some definition.

It is ok to say that a sick minded simpleton did harm. If anything in my eyes it adds less legitimacy to the act.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,495 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

thomas 123 wrote: »
    Yeah well aware of Shannon! A little sad considering our neutrality.

Probably the politicians too afraid to say no to the US... too afraid to
    pass up the opportunity to bring revenue to local businesses... that is a vote getter / saver.

No neutral country should be providing fuel, maintenance, parking or any support to military aircraft that purpose brings them through there on an active mission...Providing logistical support to a nation in those circumstances is not too neutral....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Threadbanned

Encouraged by a poster suggestion and pushed by some grim twitter images, I have emailed my 4 local TDs to call for the expulsion of the Israeli Ambassador to Ireland. Feel free to copy the main body of the text and send to your TDs. It only takes a minute to send an email.

**Text**

As a constituent, I would like you to respectfully call for the expulsion of the Israeli ambassador to Ireland.

The grounds for this is the atrocities currently being committed by Israel and its reprehensible behaviour over many decades towards the Palestinian People

We were oppressed on this island for a many hundreds of years and I feel such a move to expel the ambassador in that context would be making an important statement on global scale. There are too many western powers remaining silent on the issue.

As you know previously, diplomatic relations have been not fantastic between Israel and Ireland so there is not a huge amount to lose however there is lot to gain on taking this stance. Hopefully other countries will be encouraged to follow suit.

Update on this. Got a lenghty response from my local Fine Gael TD. The only one that replied out of the 4 I sent it to. In all honesty I was least expecting a response from FG but he put together a detailed email with his take on the issue which I am appreciative of. He finished by saying he has brought the issue to the Minister and will let me know the outcome.

It's important to recognise, we live in a small country folks where it is easy to engage our elected representatives. We also punch above our weight at the global table. It's worth an email to your local TDs even if you think it's a waste of time. Enough voices puts the pressure on which in turn means elected reps make comments/statements that are picked up by the media.

I can imagine Biden is uncomfortable that his ancestral country Ireland are pretty much at odds with his stance.

Doesn't it have to be purported by on behalf of a recognised terror organisation to be a terrorist attack?

Anders Breivik is a terrorist, and was not acting on behalf of a recognized group.

I would class driving into a protest terrorism, especially as ISIS inspired terrorist attacks use the exact same tactic.

IMO, being inspired by ISIS, or racism, or right wing hatred of protests, is not all that different. All have violent political aims.

Anders Breivik is a terrorist, and was not acting on behalf of a recognized group.

I would class driving into a protest terrorism, especially as ISIS inspired terrorist attacks use the exact same tactic.

IMO, being inspired by ISIS, or racism, or right wing hatred of protests, is not all that different. All have violent political aims.

I'm not sure you'll have an easy time convincing people that driving relatively slowly to remove your vehicle from a place where it's been surrounded by an angry mob who are banging on it and blocking your path, with the explicit aim of removing yourself from the area, is the same thing as accelerating a vehicle into a pedestrian area, with the explicit aim of killing people.

In fact, I don't believe that you are convinced of that yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Again, im not saying that it is tied into this conflict, but the reasons for the mentioned attacks are extremely similar to the excuses given in this conflict.

It would be hard to admit you agree with Hamas fighting back against Israel due to atrocities and yet condemn Al Qaeda for fighting back against the USA.

It's a question which asks if people's views are consistent.

The 9/11 hijackers were Saudi. Why would Saudi Arabia be “fighting back” against the USA. It’s a stupid analogy.

Advertisement