Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Israeli - Palestinian Conflict *Threadbans in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Why? It's a bit wierd you would ask that. Do you ask that of all posters. Are you thinking I couldn't be irish if I'm pro israel.

Stop with the anti Semitisim Peggy

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Tigerbaby wrote: »
    sickened (yet again and again) by the savagery on display in the current "bubble of trouble"

I have understanding of both sides; Israel from a post-WW2 point, and Palestine as those dislodged from their homes.

one salient question comes to mind;

why dont the Arab Nations assist the Palestininans militarily?

One remembers what CIA-supplied stinger missiles did to the Soviet Union.

Why no similar support from neighbouring states?

Mursi would have provided this, I'm sure, but was quickly given his P45.

Just a simple question.

The leaders (dictators) of the Arab countries don't care.
    They are more interested in their own power and care not a jot about the suffering of people, neither in Palestine, nor their own countries.
    They act only for what reason supports their own power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Overheal wrote: »
    I don't contend that this may be a 'trope' or an often flogged horse, but I don't see how it is precisely anti-semitic: Matters such as the holocaust and the Diaspora are a matter of fact, and they are a shared experience among the entire Jewry in some degree or another. There is a state of Israel, which recently codified into its base law that it is the Nation-State of the Jewish People. The State of Israel, now, is acting with partly (not wholly) the modus operandi of the ethnic cleansing of the Jewry from Europe, especially in Nazi Germany, where Jews were ushered between ghettos across military checkpoints and essentially lived under a form of Apartheid. That is not too dissimilar in numerous respects to the living status of Palestinians in the West Bank.

Arguably, however, it is not a polite accusation and it's borderline gaslighting only because "Holocaust" almost immediately invokes mental imagery of "The Final Solution" which was the last stage and industrial-scale mass execution of the Jewry (and other 'undesirables'), but it was far from everything they were subjected to. I would be careful to make the distinction. It is more constructive to simply refer to it as ethnic cleansing without bringing the H-word in, it's by definition both too broad and too narrow, it's a volatile term.

Why would I listen to your opinion on what is or what isn't anti semitic. I know what's anti semitic and some of these posts here are completely anti semitic. The BAI will be informed . Have you seen some if the anti semitic stuff in the UK over the last few days. If these posts, especially the one I highlighted were on a UK forum the police would be onto the platform. We've terrible anti semitic stuff in Ireland

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Another crime to add to the list that makes what the IDF is doing genocide. This is beyond disturbing and honestly pretty ****ing evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

sickened (yet again and again) by the savagery on display in the current "bubble of trouble"

I have understanding of both sides; Israel from a post-WW2 point, and Palestine as those dislodged from their homes.

one salient question comes to mind;

why dont the Arab Nations assist the Palestininans militarily?

One remembers what CIA-supplied stinger missiles did to the Soviet Union.

Why no similar support from neighbouring states?

Mursi would have provided this, I'm sure, but was quickly given his P45.

Just a simple question.

The Israelis and Americans would bomb 💣 them .they'd trace the ordnance and exact huge retribution. And the UAE,Egypt, Saudi...they don't like Hamas

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,585 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Why would I listen to your opinion on what us or what isn't anti semitic. I know what's anti semitic and Sone of these posts are completely anti semitic. The BAI will be informed . Have you seen some if the anti semitic stuff in the UK over the last few days. If these posts, especially the one I highlighted were on a UK forum the police would be onto the platform. We've terrible anti semitic stuff in Ireland

Your own posts about the Palestinian people are also anti semitic, please feel free to report yourself while you are at it, although what the F the B.A.I have anything to do with Boards posts is a mystery to me.

Why would I listen to your opinion on what us or what isn't anti semitic. I know what's anti semitic and Sone of these posts are completely anti semitic. The BAI will be informed . Have you seen some if the anti semitic stuff in the UK over the last few days. If these posts, especially the one I highlighted were on a UK forum the police would be onto the platform. We've terrible anti semitic stuff in Ireland

Please define anti semitism for us all then. Please be specific.

The definition per dictionary’s and the Google do not match with your regular spouts that everything contrary to your opinion of the state of Israel is anti semetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,483 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Why would I listen to your opinion on what us or what isn't anti semitic.

You wouldn't as I didn't podcast it, but thank you for reading it. I took for granted you would be on a discussion forum to exchange replies.
    I know what's anti semitic and Sone of these posts are completely anti semitic.

There has already, I think, been some demonstration that your view on that subject may be in phaseshift from reality on the ground.
    The BAI will be informed . Have you seen some if the anti semitic stuff in the UK over the last few days. If these posts, especially the one I highlighted were on a UK forum the police would be onto the platform. We've terrible anti semitic stuff in Ireland

If you understand the BAI has no jurisdiction here (which I assume is a British speech-police outfit of some kind in this context, google was bamboozled), why would you bother the BAI with such a frivolous complaint? Surely if the UK has laws against being offended online, it has laws against false reporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Comparing isrealis and Jewish people to the Nazis every few posts is hyperbolic and silly. It's obviously nothing near it.

It's obviously very insulting to Jewish people when the Holocaust is so recent and connected to the creation of Israel.

Frankly it's just confirming those who say all that critical of Isreal are antisemitic and really lazy historically.

It's closer to a colonial relationship. The British or to the treatment of the native Americans in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,585 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

You wouldn't as I didn't podcast it, but thank you for reading it. I took for granted you would be on a discussion forum to exchange replies.

There has already, I think, been some demonstration that your view on that subject may be in phaseshift from reality on the ground.

If you understand the BAI has no jurisdiction here (which I assume is a British speech-police outfit of some kind in this context, google was bamboozled), why would you bother the BAI with such a frivolous complaint? Surely if the UK has laws against being offended online, it has laws against false reporting.

BAI = Broadcasting Authority of Ireland? I'm stumped either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

Can we just agree that a Semite is a member of any of the peoples who speak or spoke a Semitic language, including in particular the Jews and Arabs.
    It's not difficult to check the definition of words.

It's closer to a colonial relationship. The British or to the treatment of the native Americans in the US.

It's almost identical to what happened in South Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,856 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The BAI they refer to, rather badly, is the body responsible for standards in Irish media https://www.bai.ie/en/

Similar to your FCC.

Now how an Irish person could think that boards falls under their remit is a bit bizarre, but then again if they think most Irish university lecturers are communists maybe not.

harmless wrote: »
    Can we just agree that a Semite is a member of any of the peoples who speak or spoke a Semitic language, including in particular the Jews and Arabs.

We can try. Let's see how this plays out for discussion.

553565.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

harmless wrote: »

And can we agree that an anti-semite is understood to be a person who is hostile to or prejudiced against Jewish people specifically.

Comparing isrealis and Jewish people to the Nazis every few posts is hyperbolic and silly. It's obviously nothing near it.

It's obviously very insulting to Jewish people when the Holocaust is so recent and connected to the creation of Israel.

Frankly it's just confirming those who say all that critical of Isreal are antisemitic and really lazy historically.

It’s actually not - the nazi treatment of Jews from when they got into power to the start of the war is very similar to what Israel is doing to palastinians now, namely:

Asset stripping
    Removing their rights
    Giving them no representation
    Taking their business
    Denying them resources
    Forcing them into ghetto style arrangements

Of Course we are not at the camps and mass murders yet, but indescrimiate bombing of non military targets along with the above is a pretty scary way to do business in a country with such a close history with that type of treatment.

Why? It's a bit wierd you would ask that. Do you ask that of all posters. Are you thinking I couldn't be irish if I'm pro israel.

No, but you are commenting on Ireland. I just wonder why.
    I'm probably out of order, my apologies.

And can we agree that an anti-semite is a person who is hostile to or prejudiced against Jewish people.

553569.PNG

Q: If two Wrestlers agree to fight and one of them is Jewish is the other an anti-semite?

I agree, the genocide of the Native Americans is actually the best comparison. What we are seeing is a slow genocide, one that take place over decades.

• Advertisement

thomas 123 wrote: »
    It’s actually not - the nazi treatment of Jews from when they got into power to the start of the war is very similar to what Israel is doing to palastinians now, namely:

Asset stripping
    Removing their rights
    Giving them no representation
    Taking their business
    Denying them resources
    Forcing them into ghetto style arrangements

Of Course we are not at the camps and mass murders yet, but indescrimiate bombing of non military targets along with the above is a pretty scary way to do business in a country with such a close history with that type of treatment.

But that's all the "small H" stuff. The camps and the mass murders are Big H.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,856 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Again this post is anti semitic. Comparing the holocaust and death of 6 million Jews to today's events in the middle East. 'Making the same mistakes as the Nazis made,' again this is an anti semitic trope and comes within the parameters of anti semitic posting. The mods here would want to wake up

The worst bullies usually learn it from having been bullied themselves.

Palestinian woman killed by settler in al-Khalil

Evil terrorist tried to frame the poor Woman he murdred. Nothing will be done of course. At best a slap on the wrist, and once against this racist murder will be defended as self defense by the usual apologists for Zionist terror.

The camps and the mass murders are Big H.

Do we regard Gaza as a concentration camp? An open-air prison?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

The Israelis and Americans would bomb �� them .they'd trace the ordnance and exact huge retribution. And the UAE,Egypt, Saudi...they don't like Hamas

Thank you Peggy

why dont they like Hamas?

More rocket fire from Gaza these past few minutes.

As the inevitable ceasefire approaches, both sides seem to get more hits in.

Thank you Peggy

why dont they like Hamas?

This endless goading gets us nowhere in the discussion.

https://twitter.com/Stone_SkyNews/status/1394731857099452419?s=20

Sky News witness on the ground showing Israeli police/military agression. How can anyone claim self defense for the aggressor is beyond me. The facts clearly show Israel is engaged in aggression, not self defense.

A man shows placard of the family members wiped out by Israel:
    https://twitter.com/KhaledBeydoun/status/1394906158809460737?s=20

Another act of genocide.

Another horrible crime committed by IDF terrorists:
    https://twitter.com/Beltrew/status/1394721420186378241?s=20

How any decent human being can defend such butcher is beyond me.

For those accusing others of anti-semtism, I think it fair that they themselves are guilty of Islamophobic, anti arab and anti Palestinian tropes:
    https://twitter.com/LabourMuslims/status/1394608787407917057?s=20

Some example in that thread.

Israel changes its story again about the AP tower demolition.

https://www.mediaite.com/news/israeli-ambassador-says-its-likely-ap-was-not-aware-hamas-was-operating-in-office-building/

Now instead of the repeated claim that AP knew they were there, and that they were complicit, and that they were throughout the whole building, is replaced with 'they maybe didn't know they were there because it's a secret unit'

Just wow.

• Advertisement

For anyone on Twitter, this is my list of people to follow.
    Please add recommendations, and note that these contributors are not all about the current Israel/Gaza conflict, but other conflict zones also.

Just if you are interested.

https://twitter.com/i/lists/779314760479367172?s=20

Advertisement