Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Israeli - Palestinian Conflict *Threadbans in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

I agree with most of your post regarding the Israeli treatment of the Palestinian people, however I am unaware of the alleged destruction of "hundreds of mosques" by Israel.

Do you have independent sources verifying this?
    Thanks.

Outside of destroying Mosques while in conflict, Israel have regularly torn down Mosques under the guise of "having no planning permission".

De facto religious suppression, usually coinciding with Israeli settlers moving into an area.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,857 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

biko wrote: »
    It's usually called the 2 state solution and started in 1937.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-state_solution

Sure Russia offered Ukraine a 2-state solution on Crimea too.

BluePlanet wrote: »
    Off the top of my head, i'd say that Cyprus is better.

Cyprus is not in the middle East

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭thomas 123

TomSweeney wrote: »
    What they have the wrong opinions do they ?

If you could agree 100% with the contents of that “report I’d highly question the use of my time to discuss anything with you.

Opinions can be seen as wrong by the way - especially when the opinion has a direct influence on the well being of an entire people.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭myfreespirit

seamus wrote: »
    Humphrys is a nutjob. He's a dogmatic libertarian who has fully bought into the cult of the US Republican party.

He pops up every now and again with some nonsense treatise on current events that can always be summed up as, "Everything the Republican party says is great and if you disagree, then you're a filthy lefty/communist/islamist".

Mark Humphreys is far from a "nutjob". He was my lecturer in DCU when I was an undergraduate student there about 20 years ago. He is highly intelligent and a very able individual, albeit quite opinionated.
    He does appear to have a rather biased approach to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

UK Lord shares disinformation about the conflict.

https://twitter.com/nazir_lord/status/1394911907291803648?s=20

Edit - he deleted the tweet but here is a screenshot. This little girl is Russian and is very much alive.

Screenshot-1.png

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Yeah the Nakba in 1948/49 when 700k Palestinians fled/were forcibly removed by Israel. Hundreds of Arab villages and towns were destroyed by Jewish militants including mosques in a mass ethnic cleansing.

There's no verification here??
    Any publications or independent reports from respected/trustworthy agencies?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

bubblypop wrote: »
    Cyprus is not in the middle East

"Middle East" is just another British-centric phrase and carry-over from colonial days.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,305 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

You questioning the expulsion and ethnic cleansing of Palestine by Jewish militants now. Jaysus.

Try this on. Written by a Jewish Israeli

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006QK4G1W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_DENRGDN864NM4NNC2NH3

Or even a simple Google search.

BluePlanet wrote: »
    "Middle East" is just another British-centric phrase and carry-over from colonial days.

Ah ok, the 'middle east' doesn't exist then, it's just made up. Ok right.
    Cyprus still isn't part of the made up middle East then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

bubblypop wrote: »
    Ah ok, the 'middle east' doesn't exist then, it's just made up. Ok right.
    Cyprus still isn't part of the made up middle East then.

It actually is.
    It basically sits between and cojoins 3 continental plates: Arabian, African and Eurasian.

Based on that video the guy holding the Israeli flag threw the first punch, but yeah always the victim. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

seamus wrote: »
    Humphrys is a nutjob. He's a dogmatic libertarian who has fully bought into the cult of the US Republican party.

He pops up every now and again with some nonsense treatise on current events that can always be summed up as, "Everything the Republican party says is great and if you disagree, then you're a filthy lefty/communist/islamist".

hes just a weird man full stop , cant debate for sh1t either , just engages in abuse after about three tweets

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

That is horrible and is only going to harden attitudes against the Palestinians.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

The Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine by Ilan Pappe

Quote from the description:
    Renowned Israeli historian, Ilan Pappe's groundbreaking book revisits the formation of the State of Israel. Between 1947 and 1949, over 400 Palestinian villages were deliberately destroyed, civilians were massacred and around a million men, women, and children were expelled from their homes at gunpoint.

Denied for almost six decades, had it happened today it could only have been called "ethnic cleansing". Decisively debunking the myth that the Palestinian population left of their own accord in the course of this war, Ilan Pappe offers impressive archival evidence to demonstrate that, from its very inception, a central plank in Israel’s founding ideology was the forcible removal of the indigenous population. Indispensable for anyone interested in the current crisis in the Middle East.

I would quote from the book, but not sure where I put my copy. However, that is where you will find detailed information.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Mark Humphreys is far from a "nutjob". He was my lecturer in DCU when I was an undergraduate student there about 20 years ago. He is highly intelligent and a very able individual, albeit quite opinionated.
    He does appear to have a rather biased approach to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict unfortunately.

hes very strange , Eoghan Harris strange

just as Harris has a fetish for ulster protestants , Humphries has a fetish for Israel

he has a bat signal on Twitter whereby whenever anyone mentions Israel , hes " in like Flynn "

That is horrible and is only going to harden attitudes against the Palestinians.

The guy holding the Israeli flag threw the first punch!! And then when the other side fight back suddenly he's the victim - sounds very familiar. :rolleyes:

The Israeli flag guy throws the first punch........ The guy in the black mask has his hand up signaling to the Israeli flag guy to back off, before Israeli flag guys throws a punch and then things kick off.

Google it. Check Amazon for books. It's not a big secret

Where do you think the millions of Palestinians in Jordan and Lebanon's refugee camps come from?

• Advertisement

The guy holding the Israeli flag threw the first punch!! And then when the other side fight back suddenly he's the victim - sounds very familiar. :rolleyes:

I take your point. But it doesn't look great.

Also like everything we don't know what happened before it started.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

thomas 123 wrote: »
    I’d urge anyone who missed this to read a bit of it.

Also note the thanks for those in agreement with it.

Yeh great they treat their own citizens well (apart from the sizeable Palestinian minority citizens).

This is totally separate from them inflicting war crimes on their neighbours who they keep bottled in an open air prison on one side
    (Gaza) and on the other side are inflicting an ethnic cleansing land grab (West Bank and E. Jerusalem)

It's like saying a murderer treated his family well, doesn't make him a good person if he went out and killed strangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

There is no such country in the West in a comparable situation to Israel, with rockets fired indiscriminately at its people routinely. If this was happening in other 1st world countries then it might be comparable.

You continue to ignore the Israeli land-grabbing, apartheid policies and total intention to eradicate the Palestinians from certain areas.
    You always start at the point where the Palestinians fire rockets for some reason only known to yourself. You need to go back further and ask yourself why are the Palestinians retaliating?

You questioning the expulsion and ethnic cleansing of Palestine by Jewish militants now. Jaysus.

Try this on. Written by a Jewish Israeli

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006QK4G1W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_DENRGDN864NM4NNC2NH3

Or even a simple Google search.

Ok, I'll ask a third time.

You claimed "hundreds of mosques were destroyed by Israel "

You were asked for independent verification of this claim.
    You replied twice already with no evidence to back up your claim.

Do you have independent corroborating evidence to back up the claim that "Israel destroyed hundreds of mosques"?
    Asking others to "do a Google search" is not providing backup for your claim.
    Thanks.

Edit: Posted this before I saw Wes's response above.

wes wrote: »
    The Israeli flag guy throws the first punch........ The guy in the black mask has his hand up signaling to the Israeli flag guy to back off, before Israeli flag guys throws a punch and then things kick off.

So two (presumably) Jewish guys are being threatened and harassed by a gang of 20-30 people who - without the police being present - would have perhaps been killed.

But all that matters is blaming the two guys being threatened and the gang of 20-30 are euphemistically referred to as "the other side".

What a malfunctioned moral compass.

Barney224 wrote: »
    Isn't it a strange world we live in now! In Ireland we celebrate our heroes from the 1916 rising and struggles to gain independence from our British opressors. Yet, when the Palestinians (opressed for decades by Israel) try to do the same, they're called terrorists!

Even within Ireland there is a different attitude towards the 1916 rebels than towards the IRA and the various splinter groups who were active up the North. You know full well that one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

The difference is we don't know exactly what is Hamas's view of "freedom". Does it look more like Saudi Arabia or more like Egypt or Iran? I doubt it would resemble Israel at any rate.

Ah come on now! That's two groups of people clearly agitated and up for a fight. There could have been a hundred punches thrown in either direction before your man holding the camera clicked the record button. The first punch "that you saw thrown" might be a very different thing.

I take your point. But it doesn't look great.

Also like everything we don't know what happened before it started.

That is true, but based on what we have on the video, the claims being made on that basis of that video aren't being backed up at all.

Even within Ireland there is a different attitude towards the 1916 rebels than towards the IRA and the various splinter groups who were active up the North. You know full well that one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

The difference is we don't know exactly what is Hamas's view of "freedom". Does it look more like Saudi Arabia or more like Egypt or Iran? I doubt it would resemble Israel at any rate.

Hate that phrase.

Anyone who deliberately kills/terrorizes civilians for wider political-ideological purposes is a terrorist or is, at the very least, committing a 'terrorist act'.

This idea that terrorism is somehow a subjective matter is bunkum.

In other words, you can be a terrorist but still be considered a fighter for freedom. The former is objective, the latter is subjective.

They are mutually exclusive descriptions.

• Advertisement

You continue to ignore the Israeli land-grabbing, apartheid policies and total intention to eradicate the Palestinians from certain areas.
    You always start at the point where the Palestinians fire rockets for some reason only known to yourself. You need to go back further and ask yourself why are the Palestinians retaliating?

I don't agree with settlements building if that's what you mean. Totally condemn it and against it. But there is a ton of stuff I don't like in that region. I think you have to place it in the perspective of the violence and upheaval in the region. If Israel stopped building settlements the rockets from Gaza wouldn't just stop. I'd love to see my theory tested though, honestly. Most people just want peace.

Advertisement