Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s the best diet for weight loss ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

markmoto wrote: »
    avoid :)

This guy needs to be ignored by everyone at this stage. He has been exposed as a troll. He has no problem writing sentences but when hes been asked for feedback on some of his posts which contradict what hes trying to say and actually give support to the opposing argument he he is unable to do it and to save face he responds with vague answers and calls the person who is calling him out a troll and that he doesn't engage with trolls despite the fact he had no problem arguing with these people only a few pages back before he was called out

Lucy8080. Elite bodybuilders use calorie counting a certain amount of weeks out from a show. They are so careful in their planning counting absolutely everything that it borders on obsessive compulsiveness. Can you tell me how are they able to reach their goals so specifically and consistently by counting calories

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    This guy needs to be ignored by everyone at this stage. He has been exposed as a troll. He has no problem writing sentences but when hes been asked for feedback on some of his posts which contradict what hes trying to say and actually give support to the opposing argument he he is unable to do it and to save face he responds with vague answers and calls the person who is calling him out a troll and that he doesn't engage with trolls despite the fact he had no problem arguing with these people only a few pages back before he was called out

Did you read this
    Brian? wrote: »
    Mod Note: Right, this has descended into pedantry. The next post arguing the definition of a calorie gets a break from the forum.

That's not just aimed at Minime2.5

This thread has been dragged waaay off topic. Can we please get back to the main topic: What's the best diet for weight loss?

Patsy167 wrote: »
    Would be good to create a final TL;DR summary to wrap up what we'e learned from the last 32 pages.

To get the ball rolling:
    - there’s no one-size-fits-all approach when it comes to diet/food - the same dietary advice doesn’t work for everyone.
    - “trial and error” is needed to find what is easily sustainable for you in the long run.

lap5mip9i7d41.jpg

That's for sure. The question why people overeating in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭bladespin

That's for sure. The question why people overeating in the first place?

The question was: what’s the best diet for weight loss?

• Advertisement

bladespin wrote: »
    The question was: what’s the best diet for weight loss?

Before choosing the diet, why do you overweight or have to choose anything or control calories in and out?

Before choosing the diet, why do you overweight or have to choose anything or control calories in and out?

In English, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,595 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Because consuming too much.

Because consuming too much.

Sure but don't we have leptin, microbiome perhaps something suppress all natural mechanisms that prevents high consumption in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,298 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Have you really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,595 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Sure but don't we have leptin, microbiome perhaps something suppress all natural mechanisms that prevents high consumption in the first place?

Great, we're in agreement.

calories control and other fad alternatives?
    Address root cause and any healthy diet would work.

calories control and other fad alternatives?
    Address root cause and any healthy diet would work.

Root cause is very simple: too many calories in, solution: reduce calorie intake, it’s not rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭jucko

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Is it a lifestyle change or a yo yo diet?

Diets don't work. You need to change your lifestyle, permanently.

this is 100% correct.
    I lost 4 stone with dukan diet.. changed my life, changed my lifestyle.
    weight was put on in a four year period of heavy partying... changed my lifestyle, its still off.
    thank you dr dukan!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭omeara1113

Minime2.5 wrote: »

Hi I have been on a calorie counting diet since January and have lost just short of 2 stone so can say I'm sure it works

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sunshine2018

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C5&q=morbid+obesity+long+term+dieting+success+rates&btnG=#d=gs_qabs&u=%23p%3DPbyGlcWTXloJ

Long term there isn't one.

Most obese people fail in the long term.

In the review above 15% achieved one of the study criteria when followed up.

It's the perfect business environment if you are selling a diet/lifestyle/fitness advice

Is really quite depressing isn’t it if you are someone who is obese
    Most fat people have lost weight in the past the hard part seems to be keeping it off

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Most fat people have lost weight in the past the hard part seems to be keeping it off
    Having been that soldier in the past (hopefully - a good few years past obese anyway) is to embrace it as a change of diet, not a diet. And find the change that is sustainable for you.

That's what I find so frustrating about people pushing what would be unsustainable for most people, as the only option and even worse the easy option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Patsy167 wrote: »
    Would be good to create a final TL;DR summary to wrap up what we'e learned from the last 32 pages.

To get the ball rolling:
    - there’s no one-size-fits-all approach when it comes to diet/food - the same dietary advice doesn’t work for everyone.
    - “trial and error” is needed to find what is easily sustainable for you in the long run.

lap5mip9i7d41.jpg

I could answer this post. But, there is a mod instruction here. I will respect that. Some here seem to be taking advantage of that instruction,since it has been posted.

If the mod allows me to answer I will. I will also have to go to a word that the mod. feels is taking us off topic.

As things stand , I will respect the request of the Mod.

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    I could answer this post. But, there is a mod instruction here. I will respect that. Some here seem to be taking advantage of that instruction,since it has been posted.

If the mod allows me to answer I will. I will also have to go to a word that the mod. feels is taking us off topic.

I don't think you understand the instructions of the mod. Calorie isn't a taboo word, we just can't debate what a calorie is.

• Advertisement

Is really quite depressing isn’t it if you are someone who is obese

Yes and no, the problem many have is they see a ‘diet’ as a quick fix: work really hard, loose the weight, feel great and go straight back to old habits and stop monitoring intake and weight until it’s a problem again, they don’t allow for a ‘settling’ period- finding their way back to maintenance, I don’t know if many plans that advise this.

Just break that cycle, sounds hard but they’ve already stopped the habits to loose the weight, the really hard bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,298 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Lucy8080 wrote: »

I really doubt that you could.
    The mod didn’t ban the word calorie. There’s also nothing in the meaning of calorie that can be explained without saying the word even if it were banned.

Semantics about the meaning was banned.

Also with waiting for you to post a weight loss diet example. Apologies if I missed it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Did you read this

Don't argue with mod instructions in the thread, infracted. If you have anything else to say, PM me.

Move on now please.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

, they don’t allow for a ‘settling’ period- finding their way back to maintenance, I don’t know if many plans that advise this.
    There's no money to be made in that!

Macy0161 wrote: »
    There's no money to be made in that!

So true, there are some sources online etc that give good genuine advice but you have to dig through an awful lot of rubbish to get there, if there's a penny to be made it's even worse.

So true, there are some sources online etc that give good genuine advice but you have to dig through an awful lot of rubbish to get there, if there's a penny to be made it's even worse.
    I was kinda reluctant to make the point, as some of my favourites do have books and subscription plans, albeit based around sustainable changes and/ or recipes.

But whole TV careers are being made off really questionable dietary advice. Some of them drive me nuts with comparing mad crash completely unsustainable diets, that end up with only the weight loss you'd expect with sustainable changes in diet (not that these shows ever state that).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Keto worked well for me throughout my bodybuilding journey but I had to leave it alone due to the 24/7 diahorea issue.

Intermittent fast was so so, I just found it extremely hard to fight the hunger.

I gave up on all the 'diets' and to this day I just try to stay within maintenance, eat sensible amounts of good fats, avoid sugars (including naturally occurring ones), increased my fibre, and gave up on eating out / take away.

I replaced white bread with that high fibre Scandinavian cardboard stuff, looks like barn brack and is not exactly tasty!

Not a drop of beer either, if its a drinking occasion I'll have the odd gin with soda water and a slice of lemon or lime.

For me ditching white bread, naturally occurring sugars and and any form of snack treat was the best approach.

Best wishes to anyone who's working hard to reach there goals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Basil3 wrote: »
    I don't think you understand the instructions of the mod. Calorie isn't a taboo word, we just can't debate what a calorie is.

Okay! The word is not taboo, we just cannot question its veracity!

Okie doke! We will leave there ,so!

italodisco wrote: »
    Not a drop of beer either, if its a drinking occasion I'll have the odd gin with soda water and a slice of lemon or lime.

Very much this, love a couple of beers of a Saturday night and regardless of deficit I'll be up a couple of lbs the next morning (water I'd guess), falls off again but it's no fun.

• Advertisement

Very much this, love a couple of beers of a Saturday night and regardless of deficit I'll be up a couple of lbs the next morning (water I'd guess), falls off again but it's no fun.
    I may partake in more than a couple of beers at least one night of the weekend*. It definitely has an effect on weight short term, but it drops off pretty quickly after a couple of days for me. I've smart scales, and weigh in daily (without trying to address it daily), and you can see the cycle from the weekend beer and crisps back down to Friday. But if I just weighed in weekly I'd be none the wiser.

*again, my n=1 is that the beer and crisps nights were something I retained the whole way through, as my diet wouldn't be sustainable without my tasty craft and micro brewed beer! Did it affect my rate of progress - absolutely. But I was (and am) comfortable with that.

Advertisement