Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s the best diet for weight loss ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Calories are no indication of whether what you eat will put weight on you, or help you diet down to a weight you want to reach.

Never read the calorie intake in foodstuff. Read the sugar /carb value. Low fat alternatives to your fav. food have more sugars/carbs.

When we have more carbs than we need , they store as fat in the body until we work them off or run in to lean times were they keep us alive by releasing that stored fat as energy to keep us going.

If you have stored too much fat( more sugar/carb than your body needs to get about) you can get that body fat to release by reducing carb/sugar intake.

A calorie is a measurement of how food boils water when placed between a Bunsen burner and some water. Your body is not a Bunsen burner and will not burn food in the way science burns food to get a calorific value.

A piece of wood ( let's say a plank) ,would have a very high calorific value ( if placed over a Bunsen burner) but, if you ate it , it would pass through your body because it is mostly indigestible fibre . You would put on no weight .

Calorie counting must be the most useless /ignorant idea we have ever been sold.

The science that sells it is denied by basic scientific enquiry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭Macy0161

And yet, every method/ diet that creates a calorie deficit seems to work in the real world.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    And yet, every method/ diet that creates a calorie deficit seems to work in the real world.

What is a calorie? (answer above).

Why are we using words like "calorie deficit" ?

If you have read the answer to " What is a Calorie?" the next logical step is to wonder about why we measure in terms of calories ( be it a deficit or a surplus).

A calorie is a useless measure of how our bodies work in relation to food ( when food is measured in calorific terms).

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Calorie counting is useless they said lmao
    This is going to get good, where the popcorn

Dieting ( which may include calorie counting /more exercise /more salads/ less takeaways/ avoiding the pub) is by default going to help lose weight.

One would be making more of an effort . That will work.

Whilst getting your popcorn , tell me what a calorie is (answer already provided) and tell me how it is any useful measure in relation to how our body works (to gain or lose weight)?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭topdecko

most people who lose weight via dieting put it back on within a year. There is emerging evidence that sudden changes in BMI increase your risk of heart attacks etc. Any weight loss program needs to be gradual, sustainable and incorporate
    - calorie control (IF very effective)
    - resistance training (simple weights, push ups, squats etc - you do not need a gym - chair, floor and wall will do thus can do them anywhere)
    - DRINK MORE WATER
    - cut out processed foods where possible and include lots veg, nuts and greek yoghurt (if not vegan)

This is template for most diets irregardless of what they are called. The relationship between calorie intake and energy expenditure is more complex than simply calories in vs energy used though. Once you gain weight your hypothalmus resets to this higher weight and will try to get back there. People can lose 2 stone through sheer willpower but more than likely will put that weight back on once they let their guard down in 3-6 months as they are fighting against nature. Being hungry is c*"p.

People who are overweight but not obese live the longest btw - bmi 26-27 is grand despite what modern culture might present as most desirable physique.

• Advertisement

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    What is a calorie? (answer above).

Why are we using words like "calorie deficit" ?

If you have read the answer to " What is a Calorie?" the next logical step is to wonder about why we measure in terms of calories ( be it a deficit or a surplus).

A calorie is a useless measure of how our bodies work in relation to food ( when food is measured in calorific terms).

Your wood example to make your point doesn't exactly prove the point you think it does.

Do you believe that a calorie deficit isn't a real thing? Do you not agree with how a calorie is measured? Do you not think we derive energy from food? Do you think the energy we get from food can be measured, and if so, what method do you suggest?

Basil3 wrote: »
    Your wood example to make your point doesn't exactly prove the point you think it does.

Do you believe that a calorie deficit isn't a real thing? Do you not agree with how a calorie is measured? Do you not think we derive energy from food? Do you think the energy we get from food can be measured, and if so, what method do you suggest?

What is a calorie (it bears repeating)?

The only measure for the energy we get from food is that the body stores excess energy( sugar/carb) as fat until we need it.

The body has it's own method of storing /releasing energy. Don't you think?

We know that method.

What is a calorie (it bears repeating)?

The only measure for the energy we get from food is that the body stores excess energy( sugar/carb) as fat until we need it.

The body has it's own method of storing /releasing energy. Don't you think?

We know that method.

So your belief is that calories mean nothing? Do you believe our body is provided with energy via food, and do you think this can/should be measured?

So your belief is that calories mean nothing? Do you believe our body is provided with energy via food, and do you think this can/should be measured?

I'll repeat again, what is a calorie?

I fully understand what a calorie is. Why won't you answer my questions? :D

• Advertisement

BTW ,the words calorie, diet, sugar, carb or Basil3 mean nothing to your/our body.

Folks who start a calorie controlled diet tend to start moving more and eat less. That will release some of the fat they have been storing as a natural process of how the body works.

We tend to give the credit to calorie counting and not eating less /moving more.

An understanding of how the body stores/releases fat might help even more for those on a diet.

I fully understand what a calorie is. Why won't you answer my questions? :D

Can you help me out and explain it back to me so that I am convinced you understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

Calories only be used as reference.
    As someone said correctly on this forum
    "nutrients what regulates metabolism, mood and well being"

markmoto wrote: »
    Calories only be used as reference.
    As someone said correctly on this forum
    "nutrients what regulates metabolism, mood and well being"

How many calories/nutrients in a two by four or a Hurl?

Can you help me out and explain it back to me so that I am convinced you understand?

That's what I thought.

That's what I thought.

I see what you did there, still ,I could feed you a high calorie diet that would starve you to death!

Energy , and how it is converted ,eh!

I see what you did there, still ,I could feed you a high calorie diet that would starve you to death!

Energy , and how it is converted ,eh!

Like wood? :rolleyes:

Like wood? :rolleyes:

How would you measure the calories in wood? Why does that measure hold for "not wood"?

You defend the measure ! I'll leave you to it.

How would you measure the calories in wood? Why does that measure hold for "not wood"?

You defend the measure ! I'll leave you to it.

Your entire argument rests on the fact that certain inedible things have a lot of calories. How many calories are in a pencil (I'll remove the graphite, perhaps save it for dessert)?

Your entire argument rests on the fact that certain inedible things have a lot of calories. How many calories are in a pencil (I'll remove the graphite, perhaps save it for dessert)?

Actually ,my argument rests on how our bodies store/release energy. When we store, we store as fat.

Calorie counting matters not a damn to any of our bodies. Like I said , we tend to move more/ eat less when we start a diet ( even a calorie controlled one).

If our bodies burn food in the same way as a Bunsen burner , please tell me how? And ,again, how do we measure a calorie?

• Advertisement

Actually ,my argument rests on how our bodies store/release energy. When we store, we store as fat.

Calorie counting matters not a damn to any of our bodies. Like I said , we tend to move more/ eat less when we start a diet ( even a calorie controlled one).

If our bodies burn food in the same way as a Bunsen burner , please tell me how? And ,again, how do we measure a calorie?

Because we don't burn food the same as a Bunsen burner (your completely simplified example of how a calorimeter works) doesn't mean it isn't a valid method for estimating the energy in foods. What do you suggest as an alternative? Obviously you realise that eat less/move more is just reducing your calorie intake and increasing expenditure.

Energy is not only stored as fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭bladespin

Well it’s funny, I’ve dropped 7lbs in the last month but cutting my calorie intake back, training and food quality have remained constant.

• Site Banned Posts: 22 Physiologybrah

Lucy energy balance is without a doubt the number one priority for any individual aiming to lose or gain weight. There are any amount of studies (dating back as far as the 70s) to support this.

You are right in saying that energy balance is not the only important aspect to losing weight as the foods we eat can influence our appetite, drive to eat etc which will then possibly influence our caloric intake. But ultimately it still comes down to calories in Vs calories out. There are several examples in the literature of subjects eating hypocaloric diets consisting solely of twinkies, McDonald's or ice cream and still losing weight.

• Site Banned Posts: 22 Physiologybrah

Calories are no indication of whether what you eat will put weight on you, or help you diet down to a weight you want to reach.

Never read the calorie intake in foodstuff. Read the sugar /carb value. Low fat alternatives to your fav. food have more sugars/carbs.

When we have more carbs than we need , they store as fat in the body until we work them off or run in to lean times were they keep us alive by releasing that stored fat as energy to keep us going.

If you have stored too much fat( more sugar/carb than your body needs to get about) you can get that body fat to release by reducing carb/sugar intake.

A calorie is a measurement of how food boils water when placed between a Bunsen burner and some water. Your body is not a Bunsen burner and will not burn food in the way science burns food to get a calorific value.

A piece of wood ( let's say a plank) ,would have a very high calorific value ( if placed over a Bunsen burner) but, if you ate it , it would pass through your body because it is mostly indigestible fibre . You would put on no weight .

Calorie counting must be the most useless /ignorant idea we have ever been sold.

The science that sells it is denied by basic scientific enquiry.

One can't help but laugh at the irony.

Because we don't burn food the same as a Bunsen burner (your completely simplified example of how a calorimeter works) doesn't mean it isn't a valid method for estimating the energy in foods. What do you suggest as an alternative? Obviously you realise that eat less/move more is just reducing your calorie intake and increasing expenditure.

Energy is not only stored as fat.

Any energy stored (however) is released back as glucose (sugar) when needed by the body. Excess sugar/carb is stored as fat for when needed.

Compare the sugar content of a product that is available as full fat and low fat. It tends to be a rule that the low fat version has more sugar ( which we store as fat ). Sugar helps to make up for the lack of fat that can make us feel satiated.

More sugar , more chance of fat being stored.

bladespin wrote: »
    Well it’s funny, I’ve dropped 7lbs in the last month but cutting my calorie intake back, training and food quality have remained constant.

Congrats.

One can't help but laugh at the irony.

I could have worded the opening lines in that post better. It still remains a fact that our bodies store excess energy as fat and convert that fat to energy depending on when it is required.

Calorie counting tends to be a starter for folks to embrace new dietary /exercise regimes. Which in turn leads to weight loss.

Still, a calorie, and how we measure calorie content of food, bears no relation to how our bodies process energy.

Those who eat less food ,tend to eat less sugar. Even if they are putting it down to calorie counting.

Any energy stored (however) is released back as glucose (sugar) when needed by the body. Excess sugar/carb is stored as fat for when needed.

Compare the sugar content of a product that is available as full fat and low fat. It tends to be a rule that the low fat version has more sugar ( which we store as fat ). Sugar helps to make up for the lack of fat that can make us feel satiated.

More sugar , more chance of fat being stored.

And how is excess fat stored?

And how is excess fat stored?

Are you saying fat makes you fat?

• Advertisement

Are you saying fat makes you fat?

Answering a question with a question again. It's hilarious.

Advertisement