Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Ireland's justice system lenient?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

And had already killed someone... part of a group that beat someone up in Eyre Sq and killed him... got a Manslaughter for that IIRC which is silly as it was an unprovoked attack so how could it ever be.

Yeah and some people on this thread would want him treated with kid gloves. etc and would be willing to see him walk in 30 years.

Can there not be ****ing balance in this argument. the lad is clearly a sick guy that should be locked up for his life, because that is the most just thing for our society and his victims which in reality probably number in the hundreds (still living families and friends, communities). the minute he killed the poor girl he forfeited his rights to being our equals imo.

We can only try to prevent the next sick equivalent from coming through. its too late for Barry, and what good would it be for him to be released. as i said yesterday not one of the people crying for him and his like can answer that. AS i said, the girl probably had 50-60 years at least to live, so thats the minimum he should serve. He took a life, the poor woman is dead and gone for eternity. What good would come from his release? In certain cases say a young teen locked up, or if the victims family had forgiveness, maybe there can be discussions. it doesn't have to be black and white, i accept that. But again, the sympathisers want the black and white. bailing clearly dangerous people with absolutely no other deterrents and the lowest number of police in Europe isn't the answer. The problem is the people who want kid gloves and allowing the poor craturs rack up 100s of convictions in the hope of them turning around, don't want any ****ing deterrents. they want their cake and to eat it. we're at a tipping point imo. Bricks or social/policy reform. If the poor girl had died under the wheels of the dart, that was probably the moment. I know im really angry about some of it. The polemic in me is angry. The small social part of me sometimes doesn't blame them because clearly some of it is society's fault. However, there still needs to be just sentences and consequences for your actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

I dont really know the ins and outs of our justice system but from what I see I think people who get caught with €5 worth of weed get treated too harshly and people who get convicted of rape get away much too lightly. In my opinion it should be treated the same as murder, which itself is sometimes treated too lightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/irishman-arrested-in-new-yorkfaces-extradition-over-allegedassault-on-uk-police-officer40-years-ago-40448005.html

a case like this is the complete opposite. i detest this sort of stuff as much as i do kid gloves treatment.

The incident was over 40 years ago and there was a failure to prosecute at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Probably think the victim should be locked up.

Eh no, lock the perpetrator up for longer!

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

BronsonTB wrote: »

1pymhv.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

BronsonTB wrote: »

Never mind, some people on this thread just seem to get a kick out of twisting words around

Jequ0n wrote: »
    Never mind, some people on this thread just seem to get a kick out of twisting words around

Language is hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Language is hard.

Ironically your sentence is grammatically incorrect, too. We should both be locked away for remedial classes before we upset others.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

We're more than prepared to say that some people are really good and kind hearted by nature but many are not prepared to say that some people are just bad bastards by nature. We dont analyse someone's past to see why they might be generous, gentle or empathetic but love searching for excuses in the past of a psycho scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭gary550

Killing a man because of driving recklessly, breaking a red light & speeding while being underage, unlicensed & uninsured & then running from the scene like a coward with your maties.

What sentence does Judge Nolan see suitable? ...... 2 feckin years in juvenile detention

The mind boggles

https://www.irishtimes.com/teen-given-two-years-detention-for-killing-deliveroo-cyclist-in-collision-1.4570561

• Advertisement

gary550 wrote: »
    Killing a man because of driving recklessly, breaking a red light & speeding while being underage, unlicensed & uninsured & then running from the scene like a coward with your maties.

What sentence does Judge Nolan see suitable? ...... 2 feckin years in juvenile detention

The mind boggles

https://www.irishtimes.com/teen-given-two-years-detention-for-killing-deliveroo-cyclist-in-collision-1.4570561

The driver probably needs a hug... or something. It's somehow societies fault anyway, I've learned that much from this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pipelaser

Advertisement