Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plot of land off Thomas Street

Options
  • 12-05-2021 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

I was on google streetview and I noticed a plot behind Lidl on Thomas Street
    Was that a church ?
    Are the graves in the other photo ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭ollaetta

No, there was never a church there. Those boxy shapes are from when it was a community garden at one stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,885 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Was that a church ?

its really wierd NCAD shut off access to the garden but want people to study that https://dublininquirer.com/2019/10/16/some-want-the-ncad-garden-to-be-opened-up-to-the-wider-community-again https://www.ncad.ie/students/studio-and-visual-culture/
    Option 4: NCAD Field - Environmental Practice

The Opportunity: NCAD Field is envisaged as an interdisciplinary Studio+ Base between Art, Design and Visual Culture.
    This Base will be sited in the NCAD Field adjacent the college. The site has recently been the home of a beautiful urban garden/farm that has had a number of dimensions in terms of its stewardship, the people who have worked in it, those who have visited and benefited from it, and has generated an amount of landscaping and structures. The NCAD Field has many potentials, including being a site of horticulture, production, leisure, pleasure and other contemporary urban co-ordinates for example. These offer a range of research and practice possibilities, activities, ecologies and engagements with a wider community that fall within the frame of expanded Art & Design practices and potentials.

Credit value: This option can be undertaken on a 30 credit basis (comprising two sequential modules of 15 credits each)

When is this option available? This option is available in trimester 1 and trimester 2

How many places are available? TBC

Who can apply? Year 2 BA Visual Culture, Fine Art and Design students

Module Coordinator/ Contact: Prof. Philip Napier (napierp@staff.ncad.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Looking at old maps http://map.geohive.ie/the site seems to have just been yards / gardens for the properties on Thomas Street. There were also outbuildings and possibly cottages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

In the 80s, the blue building between The Clock and Tanning Studio was a betting arcade (Galaxy Sports and Leisure AFAIR) - and there was a laneway beside it which lead into that area - which was used as a car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭AhhHere

Was that a church ?

I enjoy these street views of places I didn't know existed. Often look up places on Google maps that catch my interest when out and about. If you spot anymore oddities, I'd love if people could share

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭SteM

I lived in an apartment above Lidl for a few years and never knew about this place!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Will all be social housing there in a few years.

Advertisement