Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Irish protocol.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Which you get back on your commute home. Your end of day commute total remains the same. Like I said, hardly hellish. You've essentially started and finished work an hour earlier than usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

If myself and my wife start at 9am amd now work in different timezones I'm waking her up an hour earlier than she needs to and getting home when she's still in work. Not to mention kids activities etc. It's a complete pain in the ar$e and regardless of pedantics over the word 'commute' it changes your entire day, which is the main point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,235 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Say what? Since when did recognising that there are two different jurisdictions on this island, as confirmed in the GFA, approved by referenda North and South become sectarian????

There is greater economic activity east/west than north/south, commuting is only one element of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

......yes, so exactly what I said; you've essentially started and finished work an hour earlier than usual, not magically quadrupled your commute time.

Could it be inconvenient? Sure, I already said that.

It doesn't change your entire day, it changes two hours of your day; the first hour you're working that you would've been at home and the first hour you're home that you would've been at work.

Like I said, I fully accept that it would be inconvenient for some people, (I can also see how it could be a benefit for some people).....but the hyperbole of describing it as hell is a bit much.

Either way, we've probably ploughed this furrow sufficiently at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Speaking as a scientist I have never heard such a crazy idea as changing the time zone between two countries on the same longitude to satisfy some people's political ideology.

The GFA also recognises there is an Irish nation that covers all of Ireland hence why there can't be a hard border in Ireland. You accept that too from the GFA? or do you treat it like a bag of sweets and take the bits you like.

Why do you want the Irish nation split into two different timezones when there is zero need for it. You want to split people to suit your ideology that we are different. That is sectarian. You hate the idea of unity in Ireland hence why you would love to have Ireland split into different timezones too to suit your ideology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

In fairness (and leaving blanch's alleged political ideology aside), the case for changing the time zone is to keep us in consistent synchronisation with the rest of the EU all year round, if they go ahead with the plan of no longer changing the clock. Thus maintaining the current system that we are always 1 hour difference with certain EU countries, always 2 hours differences with others, and always level with Portugal.

If we aren't able to veto it (and it does appear likely to be a qualified majority vote), then which is scientifically better in your opinion. a) a different time zone to UK/NI for 5 months of the year or b) our offset against the rest of the EU changing twice a year. Because it's one or the other.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

the case for changing the time zone is to keep us in consistent synchronisation with the rest of the EU all year round

But the rest of the EU is not in the same time zone. Portugal are like us. Greece and Finland are two hours ahead of Ireland

I never said it would quadruple. I said it adds an hour to my morning commute, which it does.

I also said it was my opinion of hell. My workday syncs with my wife's, an hour change to our current setup due to our jobs moving into different timezones would be a nightmare (for us). I'm sure there's plenty like us but as you say, there could also be setups were it could be great for some people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Yes, but as I said its consistent 1 or 2 hour gap (or zero v Portugal). We are always 1 hour behind Germany. If we continue to change clock twice a year and they don't then this will change (from 1-0-1) on two occasions each year. This is not ideal either from a business and logistical pov. It may be a lesser problem though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

But on the other hand you could get home before you'd even left work in the evening.😉

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭danfrancisco83

Franco did it. Look at Portugal and Spain, Madrid is west of London!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,286 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

People live and work on either side of the border of Queensland and NSW and get along fine, there are towns and communites literally split by it and again they manage fine. Anyone using this argument is ignoring the reality that we have been shown by the example in Australia that its not a big deal at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Derren Brown could learn a thing or two about misdirection and mind control from Boris Johnson. Notwithstanding the fact that the U.K. are on the brink of breaking one of the most important peace treaties since the Second World War but with a simple slight of hand people are more interested in the possible time difference between north and south of the border. At the end of the day it will be irrelevant what time it is when we are witnessing the start of the Troubles 2.0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,235 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Oh I agree, but that also works the other way, there shouldn't be a reason not to change the time zone to satisfy some people's political ideology.

There is a strong mood in favour of retaining summer time in Ireland which is being held back because of fears of offending some in the North.

Ireland is noway near big enough to justify it being in two timezones.

I think the EU as the ones who are proposing the change rather than the UK should have to give way here. The UK had to give way with the NIP as they were the instigators of brexit but now it is the EU who are rocking the apple cart with their proposals. We should be allowed opt out.

If we did stay on summer time it would mean kids would be cycling to school when it's dark during the winter. That is not good from a safety piont either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,629 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Wasn’t caught out my friend. Indeed I even carried out a little poll the next day in my workplace which confirmed that even many nationalists here couldn’t name your pm when put on the spot.

I think I know now that it is Martin. But tbh if it was the £1million question on hwtbam then I would definitely take the £500,000

😮Surely you are not waking her to get your Rice Crispies out (I assume you guys have rice crispies in your country)

• Advertisement

Where does the gfa recognise that the island of Ireland is a nation? I might need to reconsider my support if you can evidence this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭joeguevara

In all fairness I’d be hard pushed to name our PM seeing as we don’t have one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,055 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - Stop the personalized digs at other users and discuss the topic in good faith please.

I've handed out some warnings, if personal abuse continues then some posters will have to be removed from the thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,741 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I see Mike Nesbitt was on Nolan lambasting Bryson and protesting Loyalists. Reckons none of them even understand the Protocol.

Fight is on for the hearts and minds of Unionists as the elections approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Pretty embarrassing to see Charlie Flanagan whinging to the EU about trying to halt finishing these silly hour changes

Most people in Ireland and the EU are ready to stop them, Ireland joined the EU for economic reasons, the North is in the same economic zone as Ireland and the EU, therefore the North, no doubt, would opt to be on the same time zone of the rest of the country and the EU

If a few silly loyalists insist it is a different time, then so be it

The troubles wont be kicking off,a border poll is coming down the tracks,the brits are tearing emselves apart

Loyalists simply havnt a notible stragedy,if they did likes of sammy wilson & co wouldnt appear be able to in public,they jumped into bed with the english,and much like redmond 100 years ago,the english strung them along and fcuked em over in the end....no amount of lies & misrepresentation of what went on is going to change the fact,that only way for loyalists to realistically see the protocol reopened is serious blood letting internally,of those who either negociated the protocol and backed tories in doing so

(Above is unlikely to ever happen as uvf & uda arent stupid and its quite evident there isnt enough political talent within unionism to survive such internal fighting with the likelyhood of an border poll in medium term also looming)

Article 2

"It is the birthright and entitlement of everyone born on the island of Ireland which includes its islands and seas to be part of the Irish nation"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Ah now that's the pot calling the kettle a pot DC. A poster claiming to have held straw polls with constantly changing people from a multitude of religions and political backgrounds is asking for evidence.

• Advertisement

I see Nesbit had to retract what he said and Bbc had to let Bryson on and accept that the accusation against him was unfounded

Advertisement