Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish protocol.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Look, feel free to lie about the unionist background, family members and contradict yourself on all of these topics every second post but this is pretty sh1tty.

"taking their lives in their hands everyday to escape the Eu"

Capitalising on a situation where humans drown to make an anti-EU point is pretty low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Bertie Ahern was right in this case. Are we to believe that those people throwing petrol bombs know the ins and outs of the legalities of the NI protocol? They're just sad, angry people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I wonder is it just downcow, or is automatic anti-EU sentiment becoming part of a hardline Unionist conception of their Britishness now, to go alongside dislike and mistrust of the Irish & Ireland? I hope not. Not a great development if that were the case.

If I remember correctly, he was also criticising the EU for showing inhumanity over what is happening at the Polish border earlier (Poland repelling the migrants Belarus is using as a grey area tactic/weapon and it is being supported or at least not criticised for that policy). However, subsequent events have overtaken that somewhat, because afair UK has since offered Poland assistance in pushing back the migrants.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,225 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Posts deleted

Bringing this week's tragic incident in the Channel is just sh!t stirring. It has no place in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 11,628 ✭✭✭✭downcow

folks. Apologies to everyone. On reflection I should have steered well clear of the migrant disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

The DUP and Frosty will need something other than Article 16 to get rid of the sea border. Get with the program lads, the protocol is hear to stay and it's working well apart from staements from a few insecure unionists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Fair enough, Downcow. I've been fairly barbed back at you over it, but I'll take this with the intent presented and hopefully we can go back to sniping at eachother over much less sensitive sh*te.

Well now, we were told again and again on here that there would be no changes to the protocol. It was not up for negotiation.

I can predict the responses on here, but this from your own RTE,

“Mr Sefcovic said a "decisive push" is required to get a medicines deal over the line and the pair agreed to continue their endeavours to resolve the dispute by discussing changes to the Northern Ireland Protocol in Brussels next week”

I would call that progress. Others might call it a slippery slope. But you don’t need to be concerned - sure I won’t happen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,718 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Jesus H. It's in the text of the article downcow..negotiated 'changes to the Northern Ireland Protocol'.

Of course there will be 'changes'. That is the meaning and use of 'flexibilities and easements'.

That block to trade will not be there next week because it has been 'changed' to ease the block.

The Protocol remains.

So francie, are you saying now that changes to the protocol can be negotiated?

• Advertisement

If you use the flexibilities and easements built into it. The EU have been saying that from day one as well as me. The EU even came to NI to see what changes business needed.

What won't happen (unless the UK renege on the WA they signed up to) is the end of the Protocol to make a few Unionists feel wanted by Britain

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

THIS.....HAS....BEEN....COVERED.....MULTIPLE.....F*CKING....TIMES.

Peregrinus has a wonderful breakdown earlier in the thread explaining precisely what it inside versus outside the protocol.... unsurprisingly, Downcow completely ignored that and went back to parroting, 'ANY CHANGE IS THE EU BACKING DOWN....yadda yadda, RULE BRITANNIA'.

The more it goes on, the less I'm convinced that poster has actually read any of the withdrawal agreement, let alone the professedly intolerable Protocol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Half of this thread seems to be people telling DC there might be negotiated changes to the protocol, this of course was always going to happen as one side is acting in good faith. I wish certain posters would see that not everything is a win over the other side. DC, stop asking Q's you know the answer to, it's feckin annoying to say the least.

I will go back and have a look and if wrong I will hold my hands up. If correct, no doubt I will have 4-5 posters shouting at me ‘you are wrong’, but heh that’s life on here.

we will just clarify before I go to the trouble. - you are saying posters were not telling me that ‘there could be no changes to the protocol but rather there could be flexibilities that are already built in’ and ‘the protocol itself cannot and will not be changed’ ???

there is no point in me looking back, if when I produce a statement like ‘the protocol will not be changed’ and you guys reply ‘ah but that’s not what that means’

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Suckler

It would be much easier for everyone if you just accepted that you don't understand this stuff.

There is a handy way to check.

Every morning you get up downcow....check and see if the Protocol is still there...if it is, then what you were told here was correct, if it isn't, what Boris, Frost, Jamie, Jim, Edwin, Jeffery, Arlene etc told you is a lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭carfinder

You don't have to go back too far. It was very conveniently (or an inconvenient truth 🤔) summarised just a few posts earlier in the thread by Peregrinus:

"Oh, this is an easy one.

The Protocol is part of the Withdrawal Agreement, an international treaty made by the UK and the EU. If you want to either remove or amend the Protocol, that will require an amending treaty. For example, if you wanted to eliminate any role for the ECJ under the Protocol, you'd need an amending treaty to do that.

So, if the outcome of the discussions between the UK and the EU is the negotiation, signature and ratification of an amending treaty to delete or amend the NI Protocol as currently in force, then downcow will have been right and everyone else wrong. But if the outcome is confined to agreement on measures at the Joint Committee, for which the Protocol provides, with the Protocol as already negotiated, signed and ratified remaining in effect without amendment, then downcow will have been wrong and everyone else right."

It seems you engage in faux ignorance when it suits you and I'm sure you think you're very clever when you do this but it's really, really sad to think that you represent the mindset of a reasonable, moderate unionist...Bertie was dead right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,640 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Far more asylum seekers seek protection in France (and Germany) than in the UK. How can you not already know this?

• Advertisement

I certainly don’t claim to understand the nip fully. Periguenes seems to have a very good understanding.

guys, numbers ganging up or unable to see others perspectives are well and good, but It doesn’t make you right.

I don’t need to have an in depth understanding of the nip to understand that what was argued with me over many pages is not correct.

I believe (and I will check over the weekend) that I was told again and again things like -

‘take it or leave it’

‘suck it up’

’all Gb goods entering ni will be treated same as goods from any other 3rd country entering eu’

’no point in protesting, nothing is changing’

etc etc etc

now you can move the goal posts if you wish, and there are enough of you to back each other up to appear correct.

on second thoughts, do me a favour. Save me wasting times searching if you agree all of the above was said in previous posts

was it said?

It is irrelevant to this thread and anyhow is no indication of economic well-being, freedoms or benefits available.

SO WHY DID YOU BRING IT UP TO COMMENT ON THE ECONOMIC WELL-BEING, FREEDOMS OR BENEFITS AVAILABLE IN THE UK!?

The disingenouity is off the f*cking charts with you.

Don't bother with your inevitable weasel words laden reply trying to pretend that isn't what you were insinuating when you brought it up. Your post may have been deleted, but it is precisely what you were talking about when you talked about migrants risking their lived to, 'escape the EU'.

F*cking hell....enough Internet for me today. Need a break from your nonsense.

I apologised unreservedly for bringing it up. I was completely wrong to do so and hence I am repeating it is irrelevant to this thread

I've only had a quick look back (its not a task i enjoy) and this post from you jumped out immediately

Post 49808 Francie “Nothing will change until the UK commit to implementing the Protocol in full”.

I think we can all agree the UK have not committed to implementing the protocol in full and changes to medicines arriving in EU single market (NI) from GB are imminent

FFS read what the EU have said all the way along...changes using the built in flexibility will only be made if the UK commit to full implementation.

You are a beaten docket on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Speedline

Have the uk agreed ANY concessions themselves? We know that any issues would quickly go away if the uk made certain changes. If they want a seamless transition, they just need to align with certain European standards.

It looks like they are more willing to lock horns and be assholes about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Angler1

Your sovereign monarch appointed Boris and the Tory majority as the government responsible for international agreements. You dismiss this and it identifies you as a

disloyalist.

That chain of command is the basis of the UK government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Angler1

Advertisement