Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish protocol.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,625 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Says a lot about the UK government's implementation of the agreement!
    You should ask your MP why they are not making sure that the NIP is being fully implemented and why the UK doesn't agree to the EU's food production standards to ensure minimal checks between the two islands.

And you should ask your mp why Eu is protecting you from dodgy food from U.K. but not from turkey

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

downcow wrote: »
    Wrong again. Farmers keep a supply of antibiotics and first sign of an off colour calf and it gets a jab
    I've worked on a number of farms of all types (beef, dairy, sheep & pigs as well as tillage).
    Antibiotic usage isn't routine for an "off colour calf". Maybe it is for your farm though.

And you should ask your mp why Eu is protecting you from dodgy food from U.K. but not from turkey
    What foodstuff is Turkey sending into the EU that the EU does not permit?
    Have you examples of Turkey wanting to import below standard foods from third countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

But still more checks from Gb into ni than turkey into Eu. Remarkable

What you're highlighting here is the level of ideological stupidity of a hard DUP/Tory Brexit that has Turkey more in line with EU trading/goods norms than Britain.

You won't get away with laying the blame for an extreme DUP/Tory Brexit at the feet of the Irish people (north and south), the Irish Government, and the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Wrong again. Farmers keep a supply of antibiotics and first sign of an off colour calf and it gets a jab

Ah, right. So because you keep company with ignorant farmers (presumably of the Northern Irish variety?) you're tarring all the rest with the same brush? But the Aussies get a free pass because you read something about their cows eating grass and being left to die.

Yeah. Makes prefect sense. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭flos1964

This is not normal. You're either exaggerating or you need to change your vet!

It is normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭flos1964

Ah, right. So because you keep company with ignorant farmers (presumably of the Northern Irish variety?) you're tarring all the rest with the same brush? But the Aussies get a free pass because you read something about their cows eating grass and being left to die.

Yeah. Makes prefect sense. :rolleyes:

Dont know about off colour calves but sick cattle, sheep whatever you go for the penicillin ...what else are you going to do, pay a vet a hundred euros for a visit to the yard to do the same.

flos1964 wrote: »
    Dont know about off colour calves but sick cattle, sheep whatever you go for the penicillin ...what else are you going to do, pay a vet a hundred euros for a visit to the yard to do the same.
    It will depend on what is wrong with them.
    Downcow is suggesting that an antibiotic is used for pretty much anything which is not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,154 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It will depend on what is wrong with them.
    Downcow is suggesting that an antibiotic is used for pretty much anything which is not the case.

Because downcow is getting away with misusing AB's the Protocol should be dropped. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

If a new deal was agreed? How long would it take for the Brits to change their minds yet again? Boris and co can't be trusted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

skimpydoo wrote: »
    If a new deal was agreed? How long would it take for the Brits to change their minds yet again? Boris and co can't be trusted.

About 3-4 days. Essentially as long as it takes for someone to complain about it.

skimpydoo wrote: »

3 months not to read it.
    4 months for Unionists to realise they messed up.
    2 years + for the UK to tell Unionists they'll sort it out while they read it searching for the easements built into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭briany

Hey, British government... If you think that a deal doesn't work for you, don't sign it in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

No new deal on the protocol. None.

It's time to begin the individual agreements covering sectoral trade and vetinary and phyto sanitary standards. The British really have no choice but to mirror the EU standards in all respects unless they want to see a further slippage in an already catastrophic situation.

The upside for everyone is, those agreements should gradually obviate the Protocol, which was of course an insurance policy all along.

And Donaldson can eff off. Ireland didn't cheerlead the protocol, we WROTE it, precisely to protect our own interests. That's what you can do when you hold all the cards!

Let the 12th come and go, the conservative unionists and the LCC can just swallow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Why should we agree anything with the brits at this stage; they have shown they won't keep up with their end anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭bilbot79

salonfire wrote: »
    I love the way the ROI now has the power via the EU to put the balls of the UK in a vice and screw. That's what should be done if the UK continue their antics in Ireland.

Shut down Calais to them.

Well....

That's the thick people's version of what's going on. Meanwhile the Irish taoiseach is like 'i hope to God the EU and the Unionists work it out

The reason the EU are such a big deal here is because as Naomi Long says, this is NOT a constitutional question this is a trade question!

Larbre34 wrote: »
    No new deal on the protocol. None.

It's time to begin the individual agreements covering sectoral trade and vetinary and phyto sanitary standards. The British really have no choice but to mirror the EU standards in all respects unless they want to see a further slippage in an already catastrophic situation.

The upside for everyone is, those agreements should gradually obviate the Protocol, which was of course an insurance policy all along.

And Donaldson can eff off. Ireland didn't cheerlead the protocol, we WROTE it, precisely to protect our own interests. That's what you can do when you hold all the cards!

Let the 12th come and go, the conservative unionists and the LCC can just swallow it.

That won’t be happening. U.K. is a democratic country. When we hold a referendum we try to have a little bit of integrity with the decision. I did not vote to leave but I respect that the majority of my nation did vote to leave. What you describe is not leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cantwbr1

That won’t be happening. U.K. is a democratic country. When we hold a referendum we try to have a little bit of integrity with the decision. I did not vote to leave but I respect that the majority of my nation did vote to leave. What you describe is not leaving.

So why not accept the democratic will of the people as expressed through the NIP and trade agreement negotiated and legislated by your government as the best possible deal available

cantwbr1 wrote: »
    So why not accept the democratic will of the people as expressed through the NIP and trade agreement negotiated and legislated by your government as the best possible deal available

That’s not how a democracy works. You are completely free to work and agitate for change in a democratic country. If the government could be convinced that there should be another referendum and if the remainers won it then that’s entirely legitimate. That hasn’t happened.
    We can work to convince our government that they must be more true to the brexit result. We can also fight it in court. Both are happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

That’s not how a democracy works. You are completely free to work and agitate for change in a democratic country. If the government could be convinced that there should be another referendum and if the remainers won it then that’s entirely legitimate. That hasn’t happened.
    We can work to convince our government that they must be more true to the brexit result. We can also fight it in court. Both are happening.
    Well, baby steps. It's not that long ago that Downcow was talking about protesting in Dublin to try to effect change to UK law. It's now dawning on him that if you want to get UK law changed, your efforts need to directed at the UK government.

And we should also welcome his aim of getting the UK government to be more true to the brexit result. The Brexit result disclosed (a) a Northern Ireland that didn't want to Brexit at all, on any terms, and (b) a UK that was almost evenly divided over the merits of Brexit on any terms, but that had a narrow majority for Brexit on some terms. I'm hardly the first to recognise that what this points to is a very soft Brexit, as the Brexit most likely to command the assent of a critical mass of the UK population and most likely to minimise the harm inflicted on NI. I welcome Downcow's rejection of the hard brexit foisted on the UK by the certified loon wing of the Tory party, and his call for a Brexit more true to the referendum result.

• Advertisement

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Well, baby steps. It's not that long ago that Downcow was talking about protesting in Dublin to try to effect change to UK law. It's now dawning on him that if you want to get UK law changed, your efforts need to directed at the UK government.

And we should also welcome his aim of getting the UK government to be more true to the brexit result. The Brexit result disclosed (a) a Northern Ireland that didn't want to Brexit at all, on any terms, and (b) a UK that was almost evenly divided over the merits of Brexit on any terms, but that had a narrow majority for Brexit on some terms. I'm hardly the first to recognise that what this points to is a very soft Brexit, as the Brexit most likely to command the assent of a critical mass of the UK population and most likely to minimise the harm inflicted on NI. I welcome Downcow's rejection of the hard brexit foisted on the UK by the certified loon wing of the Tory party, and his call for a Brexit more true to the referendum result.

Haha. Nonsense on every point.
    Our people have every right to agitate in Roi for them to stop using our peace process for their own ends. If roi claim they want to protect the gfa then they need to realise that that means supporting all aspects of gfa and grow up into a big nation that can see more than a narrow nationalist view and support all people of be equally.

Then the nonsense of a close referendum meaning ‘nearly a draw’. Haha tell Portugal that about the game last night. And you’ll have Francie and friends choking on his Ulster fry - telling him that a close UI referendum will result in a fudge that means U.K. maintains much control over ni. Junkyard Tom will ate you lol.

But hey, hypocrisy was never a problem for many on here

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Speedline

You don't get it. It's simply a trade deal where NI gain an advantage over the rest of the UK with access to the EU market. And yous are crying about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

I like the way you can speak on behalf of 17 million as to what they meant by "leaving the EU" - when the vast majority thought they would remain within the single market (as they were repeatedly told).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

Our people have every right to agitate in Roi for them to stop using our peace process for their own ends. If roi claim they want to protect the gfa then they need to realise that that means supporting all aspects of gfa and grow up into a big nation that can see more than a narrow nationalist view and support all people of be equally.

Then the nonsense of a close referendum meaning ‘nearly a draw’. Haha tell Portugal that about the game last night. And you’ll have Francie and friends choking on his Ulster fry - telling him that a close UI referendum will result in a fudge that means U.K. maintains much control over ni. Junkyard Tom will ate you lol.

Downcow, I'm sure you agree that those who agitated for a change to the status quo (unionist Brexiters) are the ones who reasonably ought to pay any price that must be paid for brexit?
    And that those who rejected the change to the status quo because of its consequences should pay the least price - or no price at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,157 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

First of all trying to claim the UK is democratic while FPTP has only allowed for 1 Government that was a coalition, be elected by a majority of votes in 80 years is hilarious.

Secondly you know as well as everybody that you could have asked 10 brexit voters what they were voting for on referendum day and gotten 10 different answers, so you cannot say what is or isnt Brexit because nobody knw then and nobody knows now as it still changes every other month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Ye do not have the right to protest in Dublin inciting violence. Ye signed up to the Protocol, respect it and make it work. Think about ways of making NI a good place for both communities and not maybe on marching where ye are not wanted, burning Irish flags and threatening Irish Govt Ministers. If only there was leadership on the Unionist side and not simply hatred for anything Irish.
    Hypocrisy, you mean like signing up to an agreement and then pretending you didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Then the nonsense of a close referendum meaning ‘nearly a draw’. Haha tell Portugal that about the game last night.
    If Brexiters seriously think that a referendum is like a soccer game, well, that would explain why the implementation of Brexit has been such a shambolic parade of ineptitude, incompetence and folly for the past five years.

Any course of action which results in the UK no longer appearing on the Wikipedia page "List of Member States of the European Union" honours the referendum outcome because that is, literally, the only question that the people were - then or later - permitted to express a view on.

If you want to argue that this form of Brexit rather than that form is "more true to the Brexit result" - and it was Downcow who introduced this notion in to the conversation - then you have to be prepared to draw inferences from the detailed results of the referendum, and the first thing you note is the narrow margin of victory overall, and the fact that two out of the four constituent parts of the UK rejected Brexit on any terms. That gives you some pretty strong clues as to what kind of Brexit is best calculated to secure the broadest possible assent from the people.

Seriously, if you're claiming to be looking for a Brexit which is "more true to the Brexit result", and at the same time arguing that these facts of the referendum result are irrelevant - well, you're not well positioned to be throwing accusations of hypocrisy at others. Just sayin'.

Hark, do I hear a Unionist gloating about how 'democratic' they are????

That cheered up my porridge no end. :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Obviously the NI/GB system has lax standards and low education levels on agricultural antibiotic usage and protocols.
    All antibiotics, plus other most other animal medicines, in Ireland have POM (prescription only medicine) status. This means that all medicines bought and used have to double logged by farmer and vet, as prescribed. These have to match up and believe me it's far easier do it right than try to outsmart the system (and for what?) Any farmer that clever understands how antibiotics should be used, and its not for pumping, jabbing, or off colour, animals.

Your perspective is disappointing but revealing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Language appears to be important, which might be why the term Brexit was used rather than UKexit (or some other "UK" based variant).

Advertisement