Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Irish protocol.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Would you ever stop as this really is wearisome!

The protocol will not be changed aside from minor tweaks and polishing of what has already been agreed by your government. Your government has absolutely no bargaining power to have the NIP renegotiated, even if it wanted to (sure they haven't even completed what they agreed!).

Whatever unionist tactics you think might have been effective is simply an illusion given that the the protocol is as it has been since it was agreed. As unpleasant as it might be to hear, the UK government does not care about NI. The politicans in NI are no longer needed by the Tories and given how it is not that long since the DUP betrayed the Tories, your needs and wants are so far down their list that you effectively don't matter one iota to them. They will gladly hang you out to dry and I suspect that the only reason that they haven't is not for the benefit of the NI unionists but that it would agitate Scotland further. The Tories probably also realise that they may be able to use NI as a bit of a bargaining chip with the ROI when they do want something. But for NI unionists to think that they have some kind of power, that's just plain old delusion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,737 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

What? A Unionist Minister inventing terror threats to try and destroy the Protocol? Jamie Bryson pontificating off a wheelie bin? Balaclava'ed men marching through estates? Threaten to destabilise the south every Friday?

Unionist 'tactics? Don't make me laugh.

You are being listened to and were from the start. There are flexibilities and easments built into the Protocol WHICH are now being used. Boris and Co. are codding you again that they are 'changing' the Protocol.

The Protocol is going nowhere downcow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

A million people live in the border counties. Nobody lives in the Irish Sea. The DUP made a play to spitefully disrupt the lives of the Irish people and unravel the stitching-together of our country. There's a hard lesson for Unionists with the NIP and it's this, the North is a contested territory, it is an international issue and not a solely internal UK matter.

Any possible agreements to be made in the future with the Unionist minority, in the North, will not be as generous as what has gone before so they should count their blessings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Simple and sad DC. Now what are you going to do about it instead of blaming Irish politicians for a document signed by the British PM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,146 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The Unionists held onto the British coattails for many years. The old coat became worn and frayed and with all the gripping bits started to fall off thus the poor Unionists fell by the wayside. Sad but true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭trashcan

Of course he can’t. Telling that he hasn’t even tried to respond. Unless it’s listing IRA atrocities (which he’s very good at) then he usually ends up flailing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,629 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Guys it was not me took this off thread. And I was asked if I had no examples less than three-year-old of republican sectarianism.

I posted my elderly neighbours problem this morning.

I now know a little more detail. The irish republicans broke three windows. He had had them fitted as reinforced glass with the wire in it. The scumbags kicked and kicked and kicked at it until the got it kicked in. Him and his daughter were petrified as it took place.

I am stunned that there is not a single post of condemnation.

don’t say that it’s because it is off topic. Many of you posted several times for a few days on the subject of sectarianism. I realise that a poster the other day bragged about doing this to us brits living in her country

this is much worse that my worst fears of some of you guys. It beggars belief that no one thought of saying that this behaviour in the name of Ireland is disgusting.

well, I live and learn

My mothers windows were broken, she lived alone at the time. I didn't ascribe it to any ideology or political stance. They were just scumbags, I couldn't care less what their leanings were.

What if she had her house bombed several times and escapes by the skin of her teeth when it was burned to the ground. And what if the attacks continued for forty years and it was only her one religion who were in single figures that were being attacked.

catch yourself on francie.

have the balls to either say you think it is the right medicine for unionists or you condemn republicans attacking innocent isolated unionists

What?

Are you saying the IRA or Uvf were behind the breaking of windows?

🙄What are you saying here?

• Advertisement

You well know I wasn’t claiming that, but the ira claimed responsibility for several attacks on this home over the years.

I guess it was probably British undercover agents this time

I unequivocally condemn the attack on your mothers home. A despicable act and if loyalists had anything to do with it I roundly condemn their sectarianism.

I trust your mother was not too traumatised by the event.

if you were in the house I can understand better the views you hold

Or just scumbags downcow. This sort of nonsense happens here and in the north.

Now, can you accept that there are organisations on your side that are constitutionally sectarian?

Francie deflect all you wish. You like to lay stuff at the door of unionists in nearly every post but when republicans are called out then they are just random scumbags. Francie your position has zero credibility.

the mainstream republican organisation carried out many attacks on this and other Protestant homes in this town. They were not embarrassed then to claim responsibility. Oh how times change.

Francie here’s a little article on another attack on the very same house. Hardly random scumbags. I note from the article that this was attack number four in 1974. We’ll over 100 attacks by now. The little premature baby you read of is the now, near 50 year old, disabled daughter. Just the two of them left.

how you can’t just condemn the republicans that carried on the attacks last night and indeed their friends who carried out the attack in 1974 baffles me.

the little piece headed Castlewellan http://www.thedownrecorder.co.uk/pages/?title=From_the_pages_of_the_Down_Recorder%2C_December_31%2C_1974

Avoiding the question AGAIN.

Are there organisations on your side (Clue: they organise and are central to your main celebration every year) that are 'constitutionally' sectarian.

Yes or No will do and we will take it from there.

Of course there are organisations in my community sectarian. I have never suggested otherwise.

I have told you that I recognise that I am sectarian but I am also working hard against sectarianism. No one could grow up in my town in the troubles and be above sectarianism.

are you sectarian francie? and are organisations in your community sectarian?

ps that was YES

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

If the UK had respected the Act of the Union and gone for a Theresa May deal then this would have lead to problems with English nationalists who want to leave the EU completely at all costs. It would have put alot of pressure on the UK to split if English nationalists were forced to stay within the EU because of NI. Although the NIP is a sign that the UK is weakening it is probably the best for the UK's survival in the long run. English nationalists are happy they are out of the EU and the union still exists so NI unionists can feel safe for now.

Would you regard farage as a English nationalist?

So NO examples of a constitutionally sectarian organisation equivalent to the Orange Order.

Ok downcow, I understand. NOT a leg to stand on.

• Advertisement

Farage is a chameleon. Whatever feathers his nest, he will be.

Francie you can play games and whataboutery all you like to deflect from republican sectarianism. I’d imagine every single poster on here can see right through it.

and for you to say you are not sectarian and to give the fact your partner is an Anglican as evidence is just funny. It’s the, ‘I’m not racist because I have a black friend’. I can’t believe you don’t see how silly you are being - but hey, what did I say about your lack of self awareness! The two most sectarian Protestants I know are married to catholics - and in the OO (that old - we need to convince ourselves and everyone else that we have not gone soft) the only person in my local community who puts up a flag for the 12th is married to a practicing catholic

as for examples of constitutionally sectarian organisations in ni, there are loads, but that is just another game of yours. The communities here and sectarianism is recognised to be asymmetrical. They are not sectarian in the same way or expressed in the same way. The GAA, orange order, some political parties, the churches, cultural and language groups, faith schools, etc. They all express their sectarianism slightly differently, but I don’t suspect you are aware of that either?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

^ it is quite tiring reading your posts where you always try and play the victim

Lots of typing, zero substance. ^

Still no examples of where I have been 'sectarian' nor of any 'constitutionally' sectarian organisations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭KildareP

Sorry, but this coming from someone who declares the NIP must go because it breaches the principle of consent but doesn't object to Brexit itself?

Equating somebody getting his window broken to the constitutionally sectarian OO with it's tentacles of poison through society, is some act. 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Suckler

To be fair, you're not far behind him with you "boyfriend" and the giving any English a "hiding".

You're too blinkered to realise you and downcow are the same. Baseless whataboutery and it's the others sides fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Suckler

All you do is drag the thread off topic.

Broken windows now? Republican Ira controlled town because of a broken window??

There have been several detailed and pointed posts on the NIP in the last 2-3 pages you cannot address but will dig a hole about "Identity" and "windows".

Suckler you are only demonstrating that you are absorbed with prejudice with a post like that. To equate anything I said even remotely with the bile that has came out off dazzler around beating up English people etc is rediculous

• Advertisement

Advertisement