Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retailer that offers charger with new iPhone?

Options
  • 12-05-2021 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

Hi

Daughter is looking for a red iPhone SE (been given detailed instructions of that!) for her 15th birthday. Been looking at the likes of apple themselves and compub and the phone doesn't seem to come with a charger. None of us have iPhones in the house so none knocking around spare.

Any retailer online or bricks and mortar that actually include a charger?

Thanks

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Any generic USB-C charger will work - if you have Android phones that use this sort of charger you can use it with the cable supplied.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

New EU regulation standardised chargers for all new model phones from middle last year to the USB-C model

https://www.androidheadlines.com/2020/02/eu-common-charger-rule.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

If you don't have a USB-C charger at home already (most older chargers have the bigger USB-A output socket), here's an example of one with the output socket you want (this one even comes with an iPhone-suitable Lightning cable).

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

It would be a bit of a shocker to get a new phone and an assumption made from Apple that you have a charger! Are you sure one is not included, that is something else if not.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭oisinog

There is a USB C Cable in the box I dont think it comes with a physical charging plug

• Advertisement

TallGlass2 wrote: »
    ...an assumption made from Apple that you have a charger...

That's the point - at this stage, most people do - I've been using mobile devices since the late 90's and still have chargers for Ericsson's, Nokia's (three of them, with different voltages/output plugs, because of no standardisation, even between different models), Blackberrys (actually still usable, as they are USB, 5v 1A), and about four for Apple devices.
    I also own a few IKEA ones with three USB outputs, which I got to charge bike lights.

Also, if you do buy a charger for your new Apple phone, and later want to move to an Android phone, you already own a charger ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

@Type 17, I get the idea alright (all for it actually). I would still however like them to included a cable as I could use it or keep it spare. Given so many devices are USB C.

Wasn't it also Apple that where trying to have you buy a screen and the stand was sold separately for like 800€ :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Tiger Roll

Apple using "let's protect the environment reasons " for not supplying a charging plug . The cable they supply is an issue for people as it's usb c that needs to go into the charging plug and people don't have that kind of plug ,

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Tiger Roll

Yes but the cable I saw coming with it doesn't have standard usb on one end ,it's actually usb c on one end and lightning the other end . This was on an I phone se 2020 edition .

My brother got an I phone 11 recently ,it's in the new compressed box ,no plug ,cable is usb c to lightning , the charging port on the I phone is lightning not usb c so there must be some cross over period where apple are giving phones with lightning port on phone

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

If the SE supports Wireless charging then maybe that's an option for you. Regardless of the cable in the box being USB-C you can use USB-A if you've those. Any 3-pin plug with a USB output will do, the newer plugs being more expensive have USB-C output. If you've others lying around they are likely to be USB-A.

USB-C offers faster data throughput if using to sync with a PC/Mac and also improved charging times, it also meets the standardisation requirements and helps to cut down on the number of different adaptors the house-hold needs. Keep an eye on bargain threads for the likes of Anker USB-C power chargers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

^ checked to find 2nd Gen SE does support wireless charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

TallGlass2 wrote: »
    @Type 17, I get the idea alright (all for it actually). I would still however like them to included a cable as I could use it or keep it spare. Given so many devices are USB C.

Wasn't it also Apple that where trying to have you buy a screen and the stand was sold separately for like 800€ :eek:

Cable is included.

That monitor you speak of is majority used by people who will use a VESA mount and thus don't need the stand it's nice to have the choice even if the price is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

If you already have an iPhone, you likely already have a charger and cable that works with it (you can use any Lightning cable/plug combo to charge it, it doesn't have to be the USB-C one). My wife got an iPhone 12 Pro Max at Christmas, and still hasn't even taken the cable out of the box, because she just charges it with the various chargers she used for her old 7 Plus. I only took the USB-C cable out of the box for my 12 Pro to charge it from my MacBook and the MacBook's charger.

If you have an Android phone, it's very likely you already have a USB-C charger that you can use the cable that comes with the new iPhone with.

If you have a laptop that's any way modern, you'll have a USB-C port to charge from.

The only people who have to worry about the iPhone not coming with a charger would be people who have never had a phone before, or people who only had one charger and sold it with their old phone. For the people who have never had a phone before, most of them are going to be children who at least live in a house that has existing chargers. Of course there will be some special cases. For them, it's pretty easy to pick up a USB-C charger, pretty much any one will do.

It's of course always nicer if you get something bundled for "free", but in real terms the amount of people actually inconvenienced by the lack of charger is fairly negligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

None of us have iphones/apple stuff at the moment. I just remember from years go all apple chargers being non usb, so when I saw the phone daughter is after comes with no charger I assumed it was just another ploy to get more money out of folk. So any normal USB charger will work with the cable they provide?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

So any normal USB charger will work with the cable they provide?

Any USB-C charger.

quick-charge-usb-c-connections-630.jpg

Example: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07S7NQYFS

51uqdBJuLdL._AC_AA360_.jpg

...So any normal USB charger will work with the cable they provide?

Any charger with a USB-C output will work with the cable they provide.

If you only have chargers with USB-A outputs, it'll probably be cheaper/more convenient to buy a cable marked USB-A -> Lightning (Lightning is Apple's name for the iPhone input plug/socket).

Advertisement