Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Klaxon Siren noise

Options
  • 12-05-2021 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭

Anyone here that noise this morning at 4.30am (12th May 2021)? Sounded like three different emergency klaxons going off. Not emergency services, much slower. Like a London WWW2 air raid warning.

I'm in Raheny and the wind direction was from Dublin Port, anyone here if they had a leak or spillage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Dublin Port, McKee barracks and Cathal Brugha barracks operate emergency sirens which sound like air raid sirens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I remember as a kid hearing the mckee siren most days.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Dublin Port, McKee barracks and Cathal Brugha barracks operate emergency sirens which sound like air raid sirens.
    I thought they were always at midday on a Friday (or maybe Thursday?)

Never at 4.30am!

(testing, obviously - but I didn't hear of any major incident last night that might have prompted an actual real-life use of the alarms)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Dublin port test siren first monday of month at 11am

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I heard it, wasn’t sure where it was coming from.

The fact it was at a mad hour of the morning I found weird... stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Yep every Friday at midday. Never at any other time unless not a drill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Dante

I heard it quite a few times last Summer, not so much this year. It baffles me that it doesn't get more attention cos its so fúcking loud!

I heard it quite a few times last Summer, not so much this year. It baffles me that it doesn't get more attention cos its so fúcking loud!

At 4.30am?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Dante

At 4.30am?

Never at 4.30 to be fair.

Never at 4.30am!...
    What makes you think it was a test? In Dublin Port it indicates a potential emergency and immediate suspension of all fuel pumping activities. Much more effective than faffing about looking up contact numbers, trying to communicate with 2 way radios etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Yes I heard it. It sounded 3 three times, the middle was the longest. I heard it before, last time was about a year ago always in the early hours of the morning. I live in Donnycarney.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I've emailed them out of curiosity. I'll fill you all in if I get an answer.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Yes I heard it. It sounded 3 three times, the middle was the longest. I heard it before, last time was about a year ago always in the early hours of the morning. I live in Donnycarney.
    Oh I live nearby and woke around 04:30 that morning too. I wonder if that's why.

What makes you think it was a test? In Dublin Port it indicates a potential emergency and immediate suspension of all fuel pumping activities. Much more effective than faffing about looking up contact numbers, trying to communicate with 2 way radios etc.
    It was the barracks ones at 12 midday every Friday I was referring to.

It was a feature of my national school days, beside Cathal Brugha Barracks!

It was the barracks ones at 12 midday every Friday I was referring to.

It was a feature of my national school days, beside Cathal Brugha Barracks!
    Yes, but my point was that you assume that each sounding of the siren is a test. If C Brugha barracks test their siren daily at noon, would you not accept that the siren is there and tested for a reason. Therefore why be surprised if it is activated at 4.30am. Emergencies don't just occur during office hours.

At work, we test our fire alarm each Sunday at 11am but it has activated at other times when fires have occurred.

Yes, but my point was that you assume that each sounding of the siren is a test. If C Brugha barracks test their siren daily at noon, would you not accept that the siren is there and tested for a reason. Therefore why be surprised if it is activated at 4.30am. Emergencies don't just occur during office hours.

At work, we test our fire alarm each Sunday at 11am but it has activated at other times when fires have occurred.

And I added this
    (testing, obviously - but I didn't hear of any major incident last night that might have prompted an actual real-life use of the alarms)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A drill may need to be performed overnight to test readiness at that time/shift pattern/etc.

If the test is just to check the functionality though, it really shouldn’t be a requirement that it’s tested in the early hours.

Testing it at 3pm will enable the top brass with the same result and info , it’s working or it’s not at 3am or 3 pm...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Horrible high pitched siren from that direction this morning for about 30 minutes around 11am, anyone know why?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Strumms wrote: »
    If the test is just to check the functionality though, it really shouldn’t be a requirement that it’s tested in the early hours.

Testing it at 3pm will enable the top brass with the same result and info , it’s working or it’s not at 3am or 3 pm...

It's best to test every shift. No point in having an emergency process that is only tested on day shift when all the required personnel are on site. Night shifts have to be tested during nights and unfortunately that requires the sirens, they also have to be done when staff aren't expecting them.

We'd a drill evacuation during a winter night. We found out and planned out lunchtime according, so the majority of people in my area evacuated from the offices wearing jackets. The few people who evacuated from our work location had jackets on. We never wear jackets when in work. Management weren't impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Horrible high pitched siren from that direction this morning for about 30 minutes around 11am, anyone know why?

That has been happening for the last 8 months, usually at 6am sharp to 6.15am maybe 2/3 days per week. It was like an alarm clock for me that i couldn't turn off. (i live at the Point, next to the new student accom).

I could never figure out where it was coming from, until today.

It was coming from the docks, from one of the large cranes that seemed to be as close to the entrance as it could be.

I can put up with that during the day, but at 6am is not acceptable.

Ive lived down at the point for 12 years but its strange that its only in the last 8 months i can actually hear loud noise coming from there.

It’s probably illegal..certainly sounds it.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/environment_and_the_law/noise_regulations.html

Shoot your local garda station a call, keep a log of occurrences...

Mon 17/05 - woke at 06.03

Tue 18/05 - woke at 06.05

Good to get a couple of recordings too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Strumms wrote: »
    It’s probably illegal..certainly sounds it.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/environment_and_the_law/noise_regulations.html

Shoot your local garda station a call, keep a log of occurrences...

Mon 17/05 - woke at 06.03

Tue 18/05 - woke at 06.05

Good to get a couple of recordings too.

Gardai wouldn't have jurisdiction here. Would be Dublin City Council or the EPA.

Advertisement