Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing a used bike from England

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

I looked up the duty rates for motorcycle/mopeds. Given that the intrinsic value is less than €700 for a £350 125cc in the OP's example, then 2.5% duty would apply.

Personally, I feel the need to bring either a cheap motorcycle or a dismantled one back with me on a future trip for my own personal use. :)

CN Code|Description|Duty
    8711|Motorcycles (including mopeds) and cycles fitted with an auxiliary motor, with or without side-cars; side-cars : ||
    8711 10 00| - With reciprocating internal combustion piston engine of a cylinder capacity not exceeding 50 cm³ |8.0%
    8711 20| - With reciprocating internal combustion piston engine of a cylinder capacity exceeding 50 cm³ but not exceeding 250 cm³ : ||
    8711 20 10| - - Scooters |8.0%
    | - - Other, of a cylinder capacity : ||
    8711 20 92| - - - Exceeding 50 cm³ but not exceeding 125 cm³ |8.0%
    8711 20 98| - - - Exceeding 125 cm³ but not exceeding 250 cm³ |8.0%
    8711 30| - With reciprocating internal combustion piston engine of a cylinder capacity exceeding 250 cm³ but not exceeding 500 cm³ : ||
    8711 30 10| - - Of a cylinder capacity exceeding 250 cm³ but not exceeding 380 cm³ |6.0%
    8711 30 90| - - Of a cylinder capacity exceeding 380 cm³ but not exceeding 500 cm³ |6.0%
    8711 40 00| - With reciprocating internal combustion piston engine of a cylinder capacity exceeding 500 cm³ but not exceeding 800 cm³ : |6.0%
    8711 50 00| - With reciprocating internal combustion piston engine of a cylinder capacity exceeding 800 cm³ : |6.0%
    |||
    8711 60| - With electric motor for propulsion : ||
    8711 60 90| - - Other : |6.0%
    |||
    8711 90 00| - Other : |6.0%
    |||
    8714|Parts and accessories of vehicles of headings 8711 to 8713 : ||
    8714 10| - Of motorcycles (including mopeds) : |
    8714 10 10| - - Brakes and parts thereof |3.7%
    8714 10 20| - - Gear boxes and parts thereof |3.7%
    8714 10 30| - - Road wheels and parts and accessories thereof |3.7%
    8714 10 40| - - Silencers (mufflers) and exhaust pipes; parts thereof |3.7%
    8714 10 50| - - Clutches and parts thereof |3.7%
    8714 10 90| - - Other |3.7%

Flat-rate 2.5 % customs duty shall apply, provided that the intrinsic value of the goods subject to import duty does not exceed € 700 per consignment or per traveller.

Links:

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭lipso

Thanks for your help. So you think it’s 2.5%? These Eu regulations are complicated.
    Is customs duty calculated after vat is added or before?

lipso wrote: »
    Thanks for your help. So you think it’s 2.5%? These Eu regulations are complicated.

I think it is, but check with Revenue.

If personal items brought back personally
    there's the € 430 "duty-free" allowance to consider.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/customs-information-for-travelling-and-duty-free-allowances/travelling-from-outside-the-eu/duty-free-allowances.aspx

Is customs duty calculated after vat is added or before?
    Mathematically* it doesn't matter, but procedurally they probably consider duty first before depressing you with the VAT.

ETA: (By that I mean it doesn't really matter if you add say 8% first then 23% or the other way round. Where it does matter is that in some cases customs duty is calculated on the intrinsic value of the goods rather than the landed cost. VAT gets lumped onto the whole lot every time.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I've provisionally agreed a deal on a 650cc bike in the UK. 2014 plate and with a price of €3400, I intend to drive it back so transport cost would be ferry.

I cant make sense of the above, too much conflicting info and also how and where do I pay the duty and vat should I go ahead.

There's two of the same bike for sale in Ireland, one has been messed with and the other is twice the price of this

Anybody give me a hand figuring it out?

I've provisionally agreed a deal on a 650cc bike in the UK. 2014 plate and with a price of €3400, I intend to drive it back so transport cost would be ferry.

I cant make sense of the above, too much conflicting info and also how and where do I pay the duty and vat should I go ahead.

There's two of the same bike for sale in Ireland, one has been messed with and the other is twice the price of this

Anybody give me a hand figuring it out?

I believe duty is paid on arrival at the port and VAT with the VRT

• Advertisement

For the sake of argument call the ferry €100

€3500
    6% duty +€210
    23% VAT +€853.30
    VRT either +€200 or +€300 depending on exactly when in 2014.

looking at €4763.30 / €4863.30

Easiest thing is probably to just add a third on top of the euro equivalent asking price, then stick the VRT on.

macplaxton wrote: »
    For the sake of argument call the ferry €100

€3500
    6% duty +€210
    23% VAT +€853.30
    VRT either +€200 or +€300 depending on exactly when in 2014.

looking at €4763.30 / €4863.30

Easiest thing is probably to just add a third on top of the euro equivalent asking price, then stick the VRT on.
    Thanks for that, I was more struggling with how to pay, I got a clearing agent in the end and I'm still coming in cheaper for a bike with half the mileage of the equivalent for sale in Ireland. Currently riding it across the UK, I'd to come over for work anyway

I've not had to do it yet, but it sounds a right old mess around trying to do it yourself with EORI numbers and stuff like that.

I think they can take payment from an individual online using myAccount, but it looks like a lot messing.

Has anyone done the process start to finish without using a third party?

I've not had to do it yet, but it sounds a right old mess around trying to do it yourself with EORI numbers and stuff like that.

I think they can take payment from an individual online using myAccount, but it looks like a lot messing.

Has anyone done the process start to finish without using a third party?

Customs told me its next to impossible. Clearing agent was €120 flat so not too bad

Customs told me its next to impossible.

I did have Revenue tell me that I might as well pay the €50 VRT for the 34 year old car I re-registered when I moved here.

I politely declined and said I'll be in copies of all the bank statements, etc. to do a Transfer of Residence for free.

I'm sure it's of load of hassle (for them as well as me) but possible. I like to make them work for my money :pac:

• Advertisement

I did have Revenue tell me that I might as well pay the €50 VRT for the 34 year old car I re-registered when I moved here.

I politely declined and said I'll be in copies of all the bank statements, etc. to do a Transfer of Residence for free.

I'm sure it's of load of hassle (for them as well as me) but possible. I like to make them work for my money :pac:

I've brought my bike in through the North so I'll argue the ferry fee :pac:

The clearing agent said I'd likely need to pay revenue before arrival if coming into Dublin, I wasn't willing to do that seeing as I hadn't seen the bike in the flesh so he told me to come in through Belfast. Suited me tbh

Belfast is good for the boat, bar the A75 to Cairnryan. Only time I've been nicked for speeding in 26 years. Cost me £300 / 4pts in court (85mph in 60mph overtaking some slow dope trying to make everyone miss the boat)

Just missed the boat too so had the misery of having to kill 3 hours in Stranraer.

I'm still bitter about it!

Would never have guessed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Belfast is good for the boat, bar the A75 to Cairnryan. Only time I've been nicked for speeding in 26 years. Cost me £300 / 4pts in court (85mph in 60mph overtaking some slow dope trying to make everyone miss the boat)

Just missed the boat too so had the misery of having to kill 3 hours in Stranraer.

Snap: only ticket I ever got was in 1990, Wales, 2am, heading for Fishguard. In the snow. Some (ironically, also Scottish) PC made me take off my 3 x layers of gloves to get a sample signature and did me for 40 in a 30 iirc. I was literally the only bloody person out that night. :mad:

Oh no, I'm not bitter. At All ! :pac:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Is importing a bike from n Ireland the same as before? Just vrt to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Is importing a bike from n Ireland the same as before? Just vrt to pay?

Yes, as long as the bike was in NI before the end of the transition period.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭goblin59

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Yes, as long as the bike was in NI before the end of the transition period.

only if the bike was registered in NI before 31/12/2020

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭D3V!L

goblin59 wrote: »
    only if the bike was registered in NI before 31/12/2020

What if it's a new bike, one first registered in NI and then imported to Ireland after this date ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

D3V!L wrote: »
    What if it's a new bike, one first registered in NI and then imported to Ireland after this date ?

If it's new you'll be liable for Irish VAT as well as the VRT etc.

Btdt, wouldn't bother a 2nd time tbh.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭goblin59

D3V!L wrote: »

you'd be cheaper after the conversion rates, VRT and VAT to have bought one in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭D3V!L

goblin59 wrote: »
    you'd be cheaper after the conversion rates, VRT and VAT to have bought one in Ireland.

I saved 3500 last year on a new bike buying in Belfast. Just wondering if things have changed.

If it’s a uk reg as opposed to an ni reg and ni owner had it in his name before 31/12/2020 then old rules still apply for ni import?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Ah, I see now :o

£350 + £325 = £675 / 0.86250 (Revenue Exchange Rate for May 2021*) = €782.60
    + Duty @ 8% €62.60 = €845.20
    + VAT @ 23% €194.39 = €1039.59
    + VRT @ €2 per cc €250 less age discount 80% €50 = €1089.59

* https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs-traders-and-agents/importing-and-exporting/exchange-rates/2021/may-2021.aspx

Ok can i ask if my calcs would be right:

Bike is 3500 GBP
    Transport and shipping 546 GBP
    Total of 4046 GBP

Rough Ex Rate to Euro is 4800 EUR
    Duty 8% = 384 EUR

VAT 23% = 1104 EUR

VRT 0 as 35 year old bike
    Grand Total 6288 EUR

Would the above be a rough guide if what i have to pay?

Where and when is duty paid and the VAT paid?

The VAT is a killer, especially on a second hand bike:eek:

Ok can i ask if my calcs would be right:

Bike is 3500 GBP
    Transport and shipping 546 GBP
    Total of 4046 GBP

Rough Ex Rate to Euro is 4800 EUR
    Duty 8% = 384 EUR

VAT 23% = 1104 EUR

VRT 0 as 35 year old bike
    Grand Total 6288 EUR

Would the above be a rough guide if what i have to pay?

Where and when is duty paid and the VAT paid?

The VAT is a killer, especially on a second hand bike:eek:

You're there or there abouts. Revenue told me private individuals can't really pay the VAT and Duty and that you need a clearing agent, basically there's a bit of software required to upload the info to revenue. I used a crowd in Donegal and it was seamless, they charged a flat €120

You're there or there abouts. Revenue told me private individuals can't really pay the VAT and Duty and that you need a clearing agent, basically there's a bit of software required to upload the info to revenue. I used a crowd in Donegal and it was seamless, they charged a flat €120

A jaysus another fee:eek:

Could you PM me the company details, 120 euro just because they have a special piece of software

Any advice you have would be great as well

A jaysus another fee:eek:

Could you PM me the company details, 120 euro just because they have a special piece of software

Any advice you have would be great as well

I'll just pop it here given I'm not shilling and it's relevant, Easycustoms was the crowd.

All you need for them is receipts, that end was simple. I did have to make 3 visits to NCT to get the VRT sorted, I was sent away the first time because they had no stat code for the bike and then they decided my gas bill from bord gais wasn't good enough as proof of address because I printed it so they wanted a bank statement which I also printed. However they only got the page that shows the charges, no balance or transactions.

I'll just pop it here given I'm not shilling and it's relevant, Easycustoms was the crowd.

All you need for them is receipts, that end was simple. I did have to make 3 visits to NCT to get the VRT sorted, I was sent away the first time because they had no stat code for the bike and then they decided my gas bill from bord gais wasn't good enough as proof of address because I printed it so they wanted a bank statement which I also printed. However they only got the page that shows the charges, no balance or transactions.

Cheers

Cheers

No hassle, let us know how you go and what did you buy??

No hassle, let us know how you go and what did you buy??

Just sent them a query so will see what the craic is.

Bought the below, no problem showing price as its detailed above hahaha in calcs

Bike: Kawasaki GPZ 900
    Year: 1985
    Price: 3,500 GBP
    Shipping Quote: 546 GBP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Wait....€6300 for a GPZ900R?

Jaysus :eek:

Advertisement