Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Brigid's Church of Ireland Cemetery Castleknock

Options
  • 13-05-2021 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi

Does anyone have any historical information on St. Brigid's Church of Ireland church and Cemetery in Castleknock? I know there have been tours in the past but does anyone have any resources that they could share. I'd appreciate it very much.

Thanks
    KOL

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

didn't know they did tours there in the past, I'd be extremely interested with both parents buried there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭quazzy

There's a local author call Jim Lacey that wrote a book about Castleknock but I'm not sure if it goes into detail on the cemetery. Might be worth checking out in the library if they have a copy.

It's called "A Candle in the Window - a history of the Barony of Castleknock"

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭A Knight of Ireland

Thank you. Through various web searches, I actually came across Jim Lacey and a number for him. I arranged to meet him and within the last hour, I got a copy of his two books (Candle in the Window & The barony of Castleknock) from him. Such a privilege to meet him and hear firsthand some of his stories about the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭quazzy

Can you share what you learned?

I'm sure it would interest others on the forums

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭A Knight of Ireland

The Church was built between 1808/1810. It is built on the footprint of an earlier post-Reformation church that was built in 1609. This was in turn built on the remains of a Benedictine Abbey built in 1185 on the site of an older Celtic monastery that was dedicated to St. Brigid. This site is believed to have been a place of Christian witness since the late 6th century. I am sure once I get through the books, I'll know more but this is a good start

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Both of my late parents - and also my paternal grandparents - are buried in the Castleknock Church graveyard.

As the previous poster noted, St. Brigid’s COI Church was built on the site of a 12th century monastery. Castleknock actually has quite a rich and interesting history. You know that the name Castleknock refers to the ruined Norman castle on a mound on the grounds of Castleknock College?

I’ve read Jim Lacey’s A Candle In The Window and it’s a fascinating read. :)

Advertisement