Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Document Compilation Software

Options
  • 13-05-2021 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭

In my dept we have a report that needs to be compiled for the Executive team.
    It involves cutting and pasting tables or whole chapters from a variety of word and excel into one "master" excel document to form the report.

The master word template feels like a house of cards. Copying in one table will kick out other parts of the document and it feels like needless hassle.

Apart from restructuring the template, is there another option? Is there some reasobably priced software out there that could meet my needs.
    Maybe I need to look into publishing software ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Beagslife

It might be a bit simplistic, but couldn't you simply snip and copy everything into a word document or similar and then convert it to a pdf document, or does the 'master' document need to be editable?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

This is an example of how to write an Excel function to extract data from Word and embed it in Excel. The same would also apply to extracting data from Excel to also combine.

The Word integration requires searching for the beginning and end of the text to copy while the excel integration is much simpler to achieve as it is referencing cell ranges.

I think though that it's easier to start from Word and embed the chapter and excel sections from the source documents so that you can get a continuous appending of the data page by page into a final word report instead of an excel sheet. This is because in Excel you are fixing the destination location rather than let the data flow page by page in a word document if you know what I mean; I think this is the effect you are describing of parts being kicked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Beagslife wrote: »
    It might be a bit simplistic, but couldn't you simply snip and copy everything into a word document or similar and then convert it to a pdf document, or does the 'master' document need to be editable?

Thanks. Its something I need to get a final answer on from people more experienced with producing the report than I.
    I wa thinking along those lines, and rather than having a 'master' with everything copy/pasted in it - would it be more managable to have each chapter as a word file and then do a PDF combine - as its only the PDF that is distributed.

Advertisement