Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rifle Licence

• 13-05-2021 3:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi does anyone know the contact number for the people issuing/making the firearms licence.
    I paid last month but still no licence, not a big problem just to check that they have received the funds,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭tomtucker81

On your approval letter there should be contact details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

LONG DRAG wrote: »
    Hi does anyone know the contact number for the people issuing/making the firearms licence.
    I paid last month but still no licence, not a big problem just to check that they have received the funds,

My recent ones were slow to come through. I was waiting longer than the Garda processing time. I'm sure I was waiting the guts of a month for mine after payment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

My FO usually says to give them a buzz if the licence hasn't arrived in a week after payment and they'll chase it.

Not sure if the payment method matters but I always use the card in the post office and yet to have one take longer than a week and a half, post payment.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭LONG DRAG

On your approval letter there should be contact details.

The number is Gs HQ, on the Grant notice, is this carried out by the Gs, allways under the impression it was a civilian service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

otmmyboy2 wrote: »
    My FO usually says to give them a buzz if the licence hasn't arrived in a week after payment and they'll chase it.

Not sure if the payment method matters but I always use the card in the post office and yet to have one take longer than a week and a half, post payment.

This was typical with previous renewals / issues, but this years renewals were slower than anything I have experienced beforehand.

• Advertisement

This was typical with previous renewals / issues, but this years renewals were slower than anything I have experienced beforehand.

Interesting, I found this year's, once the licence was paid for, to be the same as usual. They were back in March/April.
    Mind you, after submitting the paperwork it took ~4 months for both licences to come back granted, which also wasn't massively unusual :P

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

My renewal that was up last month was delivered one week after I paid in the post office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭garrettod

My renewal that was up last month was delivered one week after I paid in the post office.

Very similar for me, with a recent renewal - paid at the local post office, too.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭JP22

During past 14/15 months (Covid period) I think most license applications were completed within the normal time spans we are used to unless there were issues with applicant’s paperwork.

Licenses are normally issue within seven/ten days after payment received, you must factor in w/ends, b/hols, hols, etc, ..........

I think most will agree that their payment/licensing issuing system is super, however, their application/vetting system needs a major overhaul.

Overall and compared to other Government departments I think AGS has done a pretty good job.

JP22 wrote: »
    During past 14/15 months (Covid period) I think most license applications were completed within the normal time spans we are used to unless there were issues with applicant’s paperwork.

Licenses are normally issue within seven/ten days after payment received, you must factor in w/ends, b/hols, hols, etc, ..........

I think most will agree that their payment/licensing issuing system is super, however, their application/vetting system needs a major overhaul.

Overall and compared to other Government departments I think AGS has done a pretty good job.

I'll agree with all of that bar the bolded bit ;)
    I've had applications & renewals take over 9 months at times. Commiserated with others whose took over a year.

This is after I have delivered it, not to the local station but directly to the FO.
    And got confirmation they received it the same day.

Usual for mine are 3-5 months, with some outliers.

A blind ferret could enter it into pulse and make a decision faster than that, and likely with less hassle than the PTB make of it, particularly with renewals where nothing has changed bar the year. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭tomtucker81

LONG DRAG wrote: »
    The number is Gs HQ, on the Grant notice, is this carried out by the Gs, allways under the impression it was a civilian service.

Sorry for the delay, the number on the notice should be 1890 333 555. I've no idea what office that is. In another part of the notice it says if there's any queries to contact the superintendent at the garda station(whatever your local station number is).

On the receipt from the post office after payment i see there's another enquiry number. 1890 30 40 40. Possibly try that one as it seems linked to the payment agency

Advertisement