Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭abff

I’ve found the level of disapproval aimed at Rory somewhat over the top, but I have to agree that this is one situation where he really should have thought twice before opening his mouth and then said nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭OEP

I don't care in the slightest how patriotic he is but he really didn't need to say that, just gives people more ammunition.

Who is he speaking too with these comments?

Whatever we think of Rory (I like him). We don’t need to see him looking uncomfortable under the tri colour. It’s just not a good look for him or the Irish flag.

My guess is he doesn't want to have to declare for Ireland or GB and doesn't particularly want to play in the Olympics (mainly for that reason) but feels he has to if golf is going to stay in the Olympics - part of the agreement for golf being in it is that the top players would play I think. It must be pretty sh*t knowing you're going to piss off one half of your country no matter what you choose. If he is going around saying he is proud to represent Ireland etc., then the Unionist half might not be too impressed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Please take some time to read the Forum Charter re nationality etc.

No more discussion on Rory’s decision to declare for Ireland please

My mint Tesla Model 3 for quick sale

Tesla Model 3 link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Well that kinda spoils all the fun of what I was going to post next

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭bamayang

When are Lowry and Rory playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

would he not just say it’d be a huge honour and another feather in his cap or something like that? The guy has zero cop on. As for the clarets and green jackets, that doesn’t look like it’s happening anytime soon so an Olympic gold might just be the best he can hope for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Yeah, can't stand people who give an honest answer. Love those savvy media trained answers though "would be a dream come true" "going to give it everything I've got" "can't wait to get out there and make every one at home proud".

Yeah, really love those, so insightful and it doesn't matter that you hear the same answer off everyone that just makes it more true I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Given that golf wasn't an Olympic sport when he was growing up that seems like a very valid answer. What's the problem?

• Advertisement

He seems mildly embarrassed to be representing Ireland.

Id prefer someone else took his place rather than someone feeling awkward about representing Ireland.

You'd swear he was the only person from North of the border representing Ireland at the Olympics.

he's essentially said he doesn't give a sh*te.

who wouldnt want to win an olympic gold?

don't really get this argument, if you are in love with a sport that isn't part of the olympics growing up and then it becomes one you would think the (so-called) worlds best would be delighted to try and win gold. do you think any of the skateboarders, surfers etc are saying they are not too fussed about it. why is he even there, would be great if someone who appreciated the spot was there. as I say, olympic gold is the best this fella can hope for these days.

I equally don't get this argument that Olympic gold is the best "this fella can hope for these days"

The Olympics is not the pinnacle of golf. It may be for skateboarding.

Ultimately he can't do right whatever way he turns.. tells the OCI he has no interest and he gets criticised. So he competes on behalf of Ireland and his remarks at a press conference fail to be patriotic enough.

Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.

It would be wonderful to win a gold medal at the Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,586 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Wouldn’t they both fall into the “don’t” catagory? Don’t have any interest in playing, don’t really care about representing the country I’m participating on behalf of?

I’m not that bothered about all this to be honest, I’ve always thought Olympic golf representation should be reserved for the best amateurs in each country, don’t really see how it benefits these extremely well paid, and for the most part successful golfers to play in a sport which will have little interest and coverage during the games. But if you are going to play on behalf of your country, you should at least have the good sense to acknowledge that it is a privilege to do so, and if you don’t feel that way, let someone who does.

He's representing Ireland at the Olympics. That's a do. It's a hard twist in my eyes to make that a "don't".

Sure it would be grand to have the proudest patriot onboard, but McIlroy was asked to play for Ireland by the OCI. He says no then he gets pilloried. So he accepts but maybe isn't the greatest chest thumper of all time, so he still gets pilloried. Maybe the OCI need to do a patriot test when picking their team.

Personally I don't really care. I don't really regard golf as an Olympic sport. I've more interest in a regular tour event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Is there any way/where to watch highlights of the olympics golf?

No, no, it’s not that he’s not the greatest chest thumping patriot, it’s the fact that he’s made it patently clear he doesn’t give a sh*t and really doesn’t want to be there. There’s a huge difference between being indifferent about the event and showing outright disdain towards it and being there which is what he is doing. Petulant spoilt child but he always has been.

All of it is live on the golf channel so you’ll get highlights there too. Also on Sky Sports Golf

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

He clearly wants to be there. Otherwise he wouldn't go.

Olympic golf has no history, so it's not exactly a big thing for pro golfers. There was a strong case for having it for amateur golfers only, but that didn't get much traction. Obviously the draw of big name golfers was seen as preferable to a bunch of amateurs nobody knows.

Personally though, I'd prefer that. Most of the top pro golfers don't really see it as much. So many pulled out of Rio it became a bit of a joke. Justin Rose is still getting slagged about his gold medal.

Ok. Well it's rather clear that you don't like him regardless of his comments about the Olympics. So that probably colours your perspective on anything he does.

Ultimately having sports and competitors at the Olympics where the Olympics itself is far from the pinnacle of those sports and those competitors' careers will always result in some ambivalence amongst the competitors towards it.

Is there even much interest amongst golf fans for golf at the Olympics? I'd be surprised if there was much.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,586 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

So if you think it wasn’t the smartest to say what he did, it must be because you don’t like him? Are you 12?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Who cares about what he thinks about it tbh, he is there representing Ireland and he will give it his all. All will be forgiven if he wins a medal.

He's in a good position after day one, decent round of -2, couple of bogeys though. Hopefully he can close the gap tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Care to elaborate on the "Petulant spoilt child" label?

Eh no. Hold your horses there now. This comment here is what I was referring to.

Petulant spoilt child but he always has been

That there is not exactly what someone would usually say about someone they hold in reasonable regard.

Or maybe you think the opposite!?

• Advertisement

Rose is “still getting slagged” for winning a gold medal 😂😂😂 show us some of this. Please tell me you’ve found some idiot that is slagging someone for winning an Olympic gold medal???

have you seen the field he was up against in spite of those that pulled out, like McIlroy because of the deadly Zica virus. He barely won against an in form Stenson, the rest of the field had some seriously high ranking players.

As for your claim that golf has no history in the Olympics, you should look that up. It used be played in early 20th century and was one of the games when there were very few.

Advertisement