Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Rory ended on -5... joint lead… good day of golf.

Bedtime, adios chicos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Presumably he is out earlyish tomorrow which means he could really make a statement if he could go low again. That's what Xander did at the PGA. The dream is still on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭techdiver

Brilliant from Rory.

In regards to the drops for Scottie! Bryson etc, it's high time the rules were changed. All stands, tv equipment etc are part of the course. They are not invisible. Play as it lies and no more if these bullshit drops after hitting it off the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,500 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Great start for Rory, that putt in 18 hurt me as I had Cantlay backed for first round leader age ill only get half the money now.

Anyway he's a very serious contender now. Scottie had an awful day, he won't have another one like that. Rory has to keep the peddle on the metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,009 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

3 rounds of 70 might even get it done, unfortunately doesn't work like that and I'd expect him to throw in a round of 74 which means he'll need two rounds of 68 to get it done, it's the hope that kills ye.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Russman

All this positivity is making me nervous 😁

Seriously though, that's about as good as I've seen Rory play in an awful long time. That stinger drive - what a shot.

As Mantis mentions, its the hope that kills ya, but jeez, if he could somehow put together a 67/68 this morning he'd put an awful lot of players out of it.

What an absolutely magnificent looking golf course though !

Poor bogey there, looks to be off it today unfortunately.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

He played the 10th really well, a few yards too far left with his approach to the 11th and he is off it today:)

71 or less and he will probably be in the lead going into the weekend, it will be a lot harder for the afternoon tee times.

Yeah definitely a concentration error as was very poor from the middle of the fairway. Driving the ball lovely so far.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I get nervous watching every shot he takes, waiting for a bad one, it's not an enjoyable experience as I'm practically expecting him to make a mess of this round. He's started really poorly, that tee shot on 6 was brutal especially after watching what happened to Scottie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Difficult start...+2 already for the round. Needs to keep it together for the rest of the round...can't win it today but can certainly lose it

FFS Rory

What an awful putt ffs, another bogey coming up

Just alot of mental mistakes, just doesn't look on it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Or not as it turns out

That chip in par will feel like a birdie…but he's making some silly mistakes…

• Registered Users Posts: 25 AlanWatts

Needs to turn this 75 into a 70 somehow

Lovely save

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

He's not picking up 5 shots on the back 9 but if he could pick up 2 and finish level he'll be fine.

Yeah a level par round or at worse +1 would be perfect. I think if he finishes 5 under for the tournament he will be the winner…that course is going to harden up big time over the weekend…true US Open golf required…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭testtech05

Just a little shy with that birdie putt on the 1st (his 10th), another revolution and it drops, could have been a big shot to get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,310 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Can't sink a putt to save his life - so frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭GolfPar

It's a marathon, not a sprint. This will be a war of attrition.

1 back, nice. A couple more before the end of the round would be sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

3 pars to finish and he will be within a shot or two of the lead, possibly in the lead, currently 17 players under par, that will be closer to 10 by the end of play

FFS bogeys the 18th

Annoying bogey on 18, -4 would've been a fine score. Won't be far away anyway. Could easily have gotten away on him far more though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭big_drive

Didn't get a chance to watch anything yet today but looks an ok round given conditions and scoring so far. Looks to have set himself up nicely for the weekend

Yeah he hasn't totally blown himself out of it, barring somebody getting a freak score and going way ahead

• Advertisement

Probably should have been 2 shots better although did get lucky with that chip in par...don't think 3 under will be far off the lead at the end of the round

Advertisement