Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭techdiver

Looking like he'll be 5 or 6 back at least after today. Course is not as hard as it's being made out to be as the leaders are making birdies.

He can't seem to put 4 rounds together in the majors. He'll probably have too high a hill to climb after today's round again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭Dan Steely

Hopefully that's his bad round out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭zocklie

They'll also drop shots as today goes on, someone would have to play unbelievably well to not drop shots, and no one is gonna go 4 rounds without mistakes this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Really? I'm not sure you're seeing the same course as everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I don't think it's that straightforward, Cantlay scraping a double on the 6th. I think 6, 7 under absolute max will be leading after today so he'll still be well in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Doc07

could happen but I would be amazed if anyone -9 by end of today.

I’d say -3 will be well in the mix heading into weekend. Bryson looks good this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Leaders are halfway through the round and it's still -5. Starting to think Bryson could be in the lead or tied at the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I know the round is still on but his score of +2 is the worst in the top 25 at the moment....h

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,769 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

There is no one striking out on the leaderboard.

I agree but no one in the top 20 is worse then what he shot +2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,459 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

But sure everyone top 20 now are players doing better and moving up the way so of course be likely to be better than his score. Today will be bad if he compounds it tomorrow, a slight improvement in puttingwill help a great deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭bren2001

what exactly is your point? There’s plenty on +1.

At the end of the day he’s 3 shots off the lead and playing really good golf. This looks solid and repeatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭zocklie

There are plenty who started the day in top 20 and shot worse, obviously people shooting lower scores moves them up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

ANd to be fair, he played very good golf. Made very few mistakes. Couldn't have scored much worse, and with a bit of luck could have been 2 or 3 better. Tomorrow is a big day for him, if he can stay within 2 or 3 of the lead, or better, he has a very good chance. He's driving great, short game is sharp, he looks calm and confident. Hopefully he starts well and gets on a roll of pars with a few birdies sprinkled in.

Following on from this reasonably accurate prediction, I'm thinking the lead could actually come in a bit today. -3 or -4 could be the lead at the end of the day. Course is only going to get tougher.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭Panrich

Most of his game looks in really good shape. His driving has been impeccable so far. His chipping also. Putting has been ok apart from not holing many from distance. The big difference I saw from day 1 was his approach play. His short irons were much more controlled three quarter swings on day 1 into the heart of the greens. On day 2 it looked like he was taking a club less and making full swings. 11 was a good example. Also I think at 6 where he took a 7 iron into the breeze when Schauffele was taking 6, and he just made the putting surface and fell back off the front. I think he went out yesterday thinking that the bit of moisture in the greens would allow him to go a bit more for it and maybe set a score for the afternoon players to chase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

With both Leinster and Munster not showing up today I could really do with Rory showing everyone he's up for it today, though that shocking approach to the 1st from 157 yards has me worried. At least he got up and down for the par.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭big_drive

Tidy so far, looks sharp enough around the greens

Birdied the third. Four under now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Only pars the 5th.

Almost like dropping a shot.

Still well in contention though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,082 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Putter is cold again

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Shocking bogey, can't be doing that right as players around him are bogeying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Decent chance of a birdie and ends up with a bogey.

He just makes so many silly mistakes....it'd heartbreaking and will cost him the tournament

Those two shots into nine by Finau and him were just ridiculous. To follow Finau's ball almost identically. That's some golf.

And birdies it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,082 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Hopefully that can kickstart him

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Just 1 or 2 more today and he'd be right there, just keep the silly bogies off the card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭techdiver

He's playing so well but giving shots back with poor mistakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Bryson is the only one making less mistakes to be fair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭Panrich

His short irons can be deplorable for a player of his ability.

Advertisement