Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Imagine repeatedly finishing in the upper reaches of most majors being held against you..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Is getting a top 10 after being in the top 10 after the third day still a backdoor top 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭OEP

There was zero expectation of McIlroy coming into this this week, at least by anyone who follows golf. It seems people on here like to argue with the invisible people that are saying McIlroy is the best in the world - no one has said that in long time. Apart from Sky but they need to big up someone to keep people interested. The last poster mentioned his short comings in majors are not what you expect from top players - what top player has won more majors than him? What happened Brooks this week? DJ? Spieth?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Does he need a change of caddy...I'm thinking it wouldn't do any harm. He hasn't contented in the majors since he replaced JP

• Registered Users Posts: 14,584 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

OEP, check the name on the thread. If this was the Brooks/Speith/DJ thread I’d say they would be getting some stick as well. It also seems some posters take offence when he is criticised, not just for inconsistency, but for some extremely poor play. Why would there be zero expectation on one of the top players in the world?

Do players count finishes in upper reaches of competitions as achievements? Maybe they do, but I doubt the top tier ones look at it that way.

It really is strange to see the reaction of some posters to any negative comment on Mcilroy.

• Advertisement

I have no issue with reasonable criticism, but when people say he's over hyped over paid and a one trick pony - or that this is another hopeless performance when he's currently in the top 5. Yes winning is what matters but it's hardly hopeless?

There was zero expectation because he hasn't been playing well, his wedges have been very poor and Augusta is a second shot course.

You commented that his shortcomings in majors is not what you'd expect from top players - so what top players have had better performances than him in majors? It has been pretty clear with a long time that he is not the second coming of Tiger, it has also been pretty clear that currently players seem to go on a hot streak and win their majors and then go off the boil. No real golf fan thinks he's unbeatable, or the most talented player on his day etc. but it seems people on here pull out those lines when they want to have a moan about him - and troll which I realise I'm reacting to!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Rory's horrendous display currently has him in 3rd place.

OEP, having a different opinion to you does not mean posters are trolling, only someone who thinks their opinion is unquestionably right would think that.

Not you, the people calling him an over hyped, one trick pony is trolling really.

Don’t take it personally, Mcilroy deserves praise and criticism, not everyone will have the same opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Yes but the argument is Would he be still there if he started final round there ?? Dont think so

I'm not taking it personally, it's a discussion board after all.

And that's what we've been doing. I can also say if I think someone is trolling if I want to

• Registered Users Posts: 21,234 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Couple of quadruple bogeys from Scottie and Rory might win it without winning it 😂

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

If only he had made the putts on 2 and 9 he’d be in this!!

I think Scheffler will get to 12 under and Rory will get a double bogey on the way in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Technically he's in it, another 32 on the back and in at -8 and there's a squeak.

Not likely, but who knows, I'd enjoy it anyway!

Of course you can, but they may only be expressing a different opinion to the one you hold. Anyways, I think the moderators prefer you to use the report function rather than accusing other posters of trolling.

They could but an opinion should have some level of reason behind it, which they may try and provide but it'd be hard to justify an opinion that calls a future hall of fame golfer a one trick pony. Anyway, we'll watch Scheffler go and win this

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Will be some up and down! Needed if he’s to post 8 under!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,017 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

McGinley coming onto the commentary is like poison for Rory, anytime I see rory playing poorly McGinley is on the commentary rubbing salt into the wounds.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Hopefully Rors rubs his face in it over the back 9

Sensational from Rors..

Scheffler doesn't look like he's got a rocky patch in him though

Just looked up to see who I thought was McIlroy go way left?? Wasn't 100% sure it was though

Terrible time for the left one

• Registered Users Posts: 9,415 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Great round from Rory. He will win this major some day. That bunker shot on 18 will live long in the memory.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

For me still remains a far more interesting golfer to watch than most of the American automotons

Think this round has excised some Augusta demons and we'll see him get his arms into that green jacket yet.....

• Advertisement

Rory just shot 64 around Augusta with a caddie who is supposedly not good enough! Let that be the end of that talk!

Advertisement