Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,680 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

paulie21 wrote: »
    Another bogey at a par 5

Ouch !

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Another bogey. He was going grand till I started watching again

All over the shop on 18 . Needs the clubhouse

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Mother of jaysus, that's diabolical

• Registered Users Posts: 11,437 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Septic approach to 18.

• Advertisement

Great save it looks

The great escape

• Registered Users Posts: 11,437 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Showed a bogey. Surely that was a par?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Panrich

Looks like he dropped another shot there on 18.

fullstop wrote: »
    Showed a bogey. Surely that was a par?

I noticed that ! Did we miss a shot ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Thought that was a par on 18? Where did the extra shot come from? Unplayable from the long grass behind the green?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

That felt like one of the most frustrating rounds I have watched of his in a long time and I’d say he is raging after that round.

Not sure he could have drive the ball any better. Was putting himself in great positions off the tee and gave himself plenty of very makeable birdie chances. Didn’t make enough putts though.

His par 5 play is just terrible over the first two rounds and that’s nearly the difference in him being in contention. He will be gutted with those last 3 holes especially the sloppy bogey on 16 but he also gave himself a chance of par on 17 and was in a good position off the tee on 18.

On a afternoon which was very hard to score on he really should have shot a 70 at worst I thought and would have only been 6 back.

I think there is a really low round in him if he drives the ball as well again but he is just too far back now unless the wind then picks up again for the later starters.

Didn’t really expect him to win this week but he really needs to at least start getting back into contention of a Sunday at a major.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Don't know how he sticks those very slow rounds out there for someone who naturally plays quick. It must drive him nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

mjsc1970 wrote: »
    Don't know how he sticks those very slow rounds out there for someone who naturally plays quick. It must drive him nuts.

Didn’t see any on the play so far but that topic is all over news feeds, again calls for shots to be docked rather than fines. What’s the point in fining mega rich players?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Dav010 wrote: »
    Didn’t see any on the play so far but that topic is all over news feeds, again calls for shots to be docked rather than fines. What’s the point in fining mega rich players?

The par 3 17th they were waiting about 15 minutes to tee off. The last 3 or 4 holes seemed to go on forever. It was dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

neddynasty wrote: »
    The par 3 17th they were waiting about 15 minutes to tee off. The last 3 or 4 holes seemed to go on forever. It was dreadful.

2 hours for the last 5 holes they reckon... Nightmare stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Dav010 wrote: »

They gave John Catlin a one shot penalty on Thursday. Token gesture is say. He isn’t even a pga member so they chose him. No chance they do it to the bigger names. Think paddy and mickelson were on the clock though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Quite a typical round there form Rory. Played great after a poor first round, didn't take his chances. That brings on the pressure - no cushion when you have a poor hole. He just can't score. Predictable enough poor finish. If its frustrating to watch it must be incredibly annoying for him.

And he bogeys the 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭rooney30

And he bogeys the 1st

Goose is well and truly cooked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭touts

rooney30 wrote: »
    Goose is well and truly cooked

Goose was cooked in the last three holes yesterday. This is just like every other major Rory plays. One great round (yet to come, looks like being tomorrow at this stage) One AWFUL round (Thursday) Two bang average rounds (yesterday and probably today). As we saw two weeks ago he has the game to win the odd tournament but mentally the majors have the beating of him now.

Rory must go low on back to have any chance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭OEP

He over achieved by winning at Quail Hollow. It's only his second tournament back since he was at an all time low. This is probably a realistic reflection of where his game is now

• Registered Users Posts: 18,006 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

OEP wrote: »
    He over achieved by winning at Quail Hollow. It's only his second tournament back since he was at an all time low. This is probably a realistic reflection of where his game is now

Yeap he's played some good stuff but still along way off winning a major. He's in much better shape now than a few weeks back at the matchplay.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Commentator saying water off 1st tee shot on 3 of the 4 days here. A massive part of Rory struggle in majors must be mental. And that's going to be very hard to fix.

Rory confirms he will play Irish Open once travel restrictions allow. Great news and a huge boost to the tournament.

Exactly wrote: »
    Rory confirms he will play Irish Open once travel restrictions allow. Great news and a huge boost to the tournament.

Hopefully Rahm plays also and Lowry . Could be good!

“I am really excited to get back and play the Dubai Duty Free Irish Open,” said McIlroy. “I have so many incredible memories of this event down the years, not least my victory in 2016. It is going to be a pretty special week with the fans returning. I’m really excited to play in front of them again.”

Great to see the big Irish names coming back to support the event when it needs it most.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,006 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Not sure a US Open style setup is going to suit him too much but he likes the course and if he can get through the first round yips then who knows.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Very quiet in here, he must have played alright :)

Advertisement