Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

tobsey wrote: »
    I think it’s before that even, and have seen it suggested that’s the reason it’s the only Irish Open he’s skipped apart from last year due to Covid.

McGinley is an asshole anyway, a thoroughly unlikeable man so if McIlroy can’t stand him then Mcilroy has gone up even further in my estimations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,441 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Come on Rory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,082 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Predictor only gives him 7.5% chance of winning, thought it would be higher. Shoots another 67 I think he wins.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

fullstop wrote: »
    Yeah looking like Henley for him. Thought Louis would have been a better pairing, but anyone other than Bryson really.
    Confirmed. He's in the second last group out, paired with Henley. DeChambeau is behind him with Scottie Scheffler who's head will be melted before the second tee. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

It's hard to fathom what a XXXX he is if this is the case. XXXX. And must be surrounded by yes men. How could anyone with his ear not tell him to cop the fck on and focus on what is costing him. How could a coach, in good conscience, not have a straight conversation and tell him something like...if we're going to work together then this is what we will focus on.

It’s not that hard to fathom.
    Child prodigy cruises to 4 majors. I know best.
    7 years later & after multiple collapses in majors...

0 for 24

What seemed obvious to us all is only been addressed this season.
    That would suggest a mental miscalculation at the very least.

Should his new dedicated putting, swing and mental coaches improve his game?
    I would think so.
    Still madness to be changing his ball flight with the driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Motivator wrote: »
    McGinley is an asshole anyway, a thoroughly unlikeable man so if McIlroy can’t stand him then Mcilroy has gone up even further in my estimations.

He’s not. And his criticisms are all legitimate.

When in major contention putting, short irons and decision making suffer.
    The biggest question I’m looking forward to seeing is how he reacts when it’s not going good.

He played vgood yesterday.
    Russel Nobody is the perfect playing partner for him.

I think Louis Oosthuizen is the man to beat and will win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Motivator wrote: »

Is that right? I hadn't heard that. Definitely I sense a dislike of Rory, difficult not to notice tbh. McGinley did a genuinely kind thing for someone close to me a dew years back, I assumed from that he's a good guy. He's OK in my book anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

Predictor only gives him 7.5% chance of winning, thought it would be higher. Shoots another 67 I think he wins.

I wouldn't even rate it 7.5%. Rory has an utterly predictable set of rounds in a major. One great round. One terrible round. Two average rounds. He has had his two average rounds Thur & Fri. He has had his good round. I fear it will be a terrible round today. It's because it's all mental with him in the majors. The Masters utterly shattered him and over the years that has seeped into the other majors. He will be looking at the leaderboard this morning and no matter how much he tries to tell himself "right let's win this" he'll have that nagging voice in the back of his mind saying "please dont mess this up".

touts wrote: »
    I wouldn't even rate it 7.5%. Rory has an utterly predictable set of rounds in a major. One great round. One terrible round. Two average rounds. He has had his two average rounds Thur & Fri. He has had his good round. I fear it will be a terrible round today. It's because it's all mental with him in the majors. The Masters utterly shattered him and over the years that has seeped into the other majors. He will be looking at the leaderboard this morning and no matter how much he tries to tell himself "right let's win this" he'll have that nagging voice in the back of his mind saying "please dont mess this up".

He's not the only one though they all have a bit of scar tissue, even ice cold Brooks has fluffed it recently in majors when in a great position. Louis Oosthezen the Favourite is yet to even to win a tournament on the PGA tour.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

Is that right? I hadn't heard that. Definitely I sense a dislike of Rory, difficult not to notice tbh. McGinley did a genuinely kind thing for someone close to me a dew years back, I assumed from that he's a good guy. He's OK in my book anyway.

That’s fair enough, you take someone as you find them but I’ve seen McGinley in action and he’s not a nice man. And I’m not talking about someone asking him for an autograph and he said no, I can understand someone not being approachable in that kind of scenario. It’s the “do you know who I am?” attitude he had and this was before he was Ryder Cup captain so I’d hate to see what he’s like now.

Anyway, I hope McIlroy wins tonight and sticks it to McGinley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭Panrich

It’s a strange leaderboard going in to the last round. Hughes has missed 5 cuts in a row coming in to this. Louis has never won in the US, and Henley hasn’t won for 4 years.

All set up for Rory or BDC to come through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

If Rory doesn't win I hope its Louis, but they r both likely to shoot 76 as quick as a 67,any1bu BDC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,483 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

CMcsporty wrote: »
    He’s not. And his criticisms are all legitimate.

When in major contention putting, short irons and decision making suffer.
    The biggest question I’m looking forward to seeing is how he reacts when it’s not going good.

He played vgood yesterday.
    Russel Nobody is the perfect playing partner for him.

I think Louis Oosthuizen is the man to beat and will win.

Not really getting this post tbh. You criticize McIlroy for not getting it done in majors, but he has 4 to Louis’s 1. Louis has certainly has his chances to add to that major, but hasn’t managed to close. He’s also never won in the US.

Also very disrespectful to Russell Henley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

blackcard wrote: »
    Maybe I am wrong but I always get the feeling when McGinley is commentating that he dislikes Rory?

100% and the other Sky guys are always trying to big up Rory and you can hear it grating on McGinley and when he does praise him it is always a back handed compliment or its followed by a '..but'

Even with his co-commentators you get the impression McGinley is always talking down to them and being a bit patronising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

He's not the only one though they all have a bit of scar tissue, even ice cold Brooks has fluffed it recently in majors when in a great position. Louis Oosthezen the Favourite is yet to even to win a tournament on the PGA tour.

He has a PGA tour win with The Open. :D just not won in America.

The usual negativity here even when Rory has done nothing wrong all weekend. It’s his best chance of a win in a major in a long time and I think he will do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

Slightly off topic but, I am liking the new polos shirts from Nike that Rory wore yesterday and a few time before, anyone see them for sale yet. The one with different colour sleeves and looks like he is wearing a sleeveless jumper.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭redhill

touts wrote: »

Utter rubbish, he certainly may not win today and could have a crap round as you mention, but after the Masters he won his 4 majors in the next 2-3 years. He has a lot of issues since but don't think anyone associates them with his Masters meltdown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Rory was pure class yesterday and hopefully he can finish the job today and shut a few people up along the way.

If he can win this looking imperious I would expect another run of majors with the confidence flowing again.

Just looking at the stats and he's second in short game strokes gained (inside 50) and 6th in strokes gained approach (outside 50), so it's pretty clear he's not spending all his time on his driving. His big weakness has been a clear strength this week.

Sure it took him a little longer to address it than we all wanted but he clearly swallowed some pride and sought someone out to help him fix it and well done to him for that.

There's nothing better in golf currently than Rory in full flight and I'll enjoy hopefully getting to see it in all its glory tonight.

Come on Rory, well past time to get back on the glory trail!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

meath4sam wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but, I am liking the new polos shirts from Nike that Rory wore yesterday and a few time before, anyone see them for sale yet. The one with different colour sleeves and looks like he is wearing a sleeveless jumper.

Ha! I think they're terrible, but different strokes for different folks :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭Blud

Rory was pure class yesterday and hopefully he can finish the job today and shut a few people up along the way.

If he can win this looking imperious I would expect another run of majors with the confidence flowing again.

Just looking at the stats and he's second in short game strokes gained (inside 50) and 6th in strokes gained approach (outside 50), so it's pretty clear he's not spending all his time on his driving. His big weakness has been a clear strength this week.

Sure it took him a little longer to address it than we all wanted but he clearly swallowed some pride and sought someone out to help him fix it and well done to him for that.

There's nothing better in golf currently than Rory in full flight and I'll enjoy hopefully getting to see it in all its glory tonight.

Come on Rory, well past time to get back on the glory trail!

Yeah agree with that. Really looking forward to this tonight, I think he has every chance of getting over the line. Birdie one of the first two and everyone will be looking over their shoulder at him, though same could be said of Bryson too.

Going to be a late night, thank god for working from home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭OEP

He'll need to equal yesterday's round or even one better if he's going to win it I think
    . Let's see what happens!

OEP wrote: »
    He'll need to equal yesterday's round or even one better if he's going to win it I think
    . Let's see what happens!

I doubt it to be honest, 5 under will win this and no chance that 7 under doesn't win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭OEP

Pogue eile wrote: »
    I doubt it to be honest, 5 under will win this and no chance that 7 under doesn't win.

Maybe. Someone is going to go low, too many good players at the top

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Gotta love the geniuses who confidently declare McIlroy has no chance. Pub talk without the excuse of being half cut. Go back to 2004 when Mickelson (older than McIlroy is now) had nine top 5s and no majors same lads would be declaring he would never break though.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Gotta love the geniuses who confidently declare McIlroy has no chance. Pub talk without the excuse of being half cut. Go back to 2004 when Mickelson (older than McIlroy is now) had nine top 5s and no majors same lads would be declaring he would never break though.

Its the amateur physcologists I get a good kick out of - he goes from a lad that 'puts too much pressure on himself and cant handle it' to the next major 'he just doesnt care enough' and they switch from one to the other depending on the narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

It gives Henley 15.5% and Mackenzie Hughes 11.7% though. I really don’t think one of them wins this above one in four times.

Few bogies on the front 9 no doubt they'll be back to tell us a 10 handicapper would have done better.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,769 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Its the amateur physcologists I get a good kick out of - he goes from a lad that 'puts too much pressure on himself and cant handle it' to the next major 'he just doesnt care enough' and they switch from one to the other depending on the narrative.

Makes you wonder why he thought he needed to add Bob Rotella to his team. Isn’t he a sports psychologist?

To be fair, since 2014, there hasn’t been many times when you would have been confident about his chances. The last time I remember was the year Reed won, Mcilroy let it slip.

I hope he does win, but I’m not confident he will.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Makes you wonder why he thought he needed to add Bob Rotella to his team. Isn’t he a sports psychologist?

I hope he does win, but I’m not confident he will.

And if Bob Rotella has been positing on here, I sincelrey apologise to him and especially for suggesting he was an amateur, outside of that i have absolutely no clue what point you were trying and failing to make.

Suuure you hope he wins, we all know what a big fan of his you are, you keep telling us so it must be true, right???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,769 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

And if Bob Rotella has been positing on here, I sincelrey apologise to him and especially for suggesting he was an amateur, outside of that i have absolutely no clue what point you were trying and failing to make.

Suuure you hope he wins, we all know what a big fan of his you are, you keep telling us so it must be true, right???

The point I am making is, if he didn’t think he needed help with the psychological aspect of his game, which many posters think is the problem considering how good a golfer he is, he wouldn’t have sought the help of the worlds leading sport psychologist. There are plenty of quotes from both Mcilroy and Rotella online outlining why he sought help and what they discussed.

Maybe I’m just not into him as much as you are, he is just a golfer to me, he seems something more than that to you.

Advertisement