Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,000 ✭✭✭Xander10

I found the chat thing very strange. Was like something you'd see on a pro celebrity round. I could never imagine Tiger doing that in his prime at Augusta when focus was everything.

Rory is a top player. It's a coach for his head and not his swing etc, that he ultimately needs to overcome the block.

Post edited by Xander10 on

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

It might also help to say that he doesn’t expect to break his ten-year duck at the Masters. That is, if he’s ever going to win a Masters, he’ll win one of the others first.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,545 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I think he backed himself into a corner over the LIV stuff.

I agree with his stance but he should have left the ‘politics’ to the blazers.

Masters was the first ‘major’ to include the LIV golfers and I think this piled on the pressure on him.

Just go with your game dude, leave the Liv stuff to the blazers.

Don’t put pressure on yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I’m not sure if you are limiting the blazers to Augusta, if you are talking about the wider PGA Tour, he is kinda a blazer as he is a Director on the tour’s policy Board.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,545 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Yes, I agree there, but still think that the position influenced his performance in Augusta with the LIV players in the mix.

Seems to me anyway that maybe that,despite his good form up to the tournament, it didn’t help him in Augusta.

Fair play to him for getting involved but maybe his own game,at this stage, is more important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I'm still absolutely convinced he'll win more majors, but I don't think he'll ever win at Augusta. It seems like he's destined not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I wonder do the top professionals buy the line the media, especially Sky Sports, of how superior Rory is and the hyperbole of how everyone else is playing for second if he plays his very best.

Do they consider him a threat in the majors? Or a threat alongside the likes for Scheffler, Rahm.

Can they smell the fear or lack of belief from him, or see his different demeanor around the majors?

My guess is they don't buy all the bullsh1t and don't particularly fear him. His bad shots are too damaging, he can't manage it around the course when he's not purring and he can't purr at the majors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

Augusta puts a premium on wedges/approach irons and on putting. Rory has improved in both of these areas in the past 12~18 months, but they're still not strong points of his overall game (his driving, chipping & sand play are all excellent) and wouldn't be nearly as consistent as an in form Spieth for instance.

Rory needs to get to this higher level in his pitching & putting to win more majors, especially the Masters, imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I'd say all those players think they can all beat anyone else at anytime. If they go out thinking "we'll if Rory has his A game, I'm a goner", then they're probably already a goner, cos at least 1 of the legions of other quality players will be there to beat them if it isn't Rory.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,000 ✭✭✭Xander10

Missing the cut has to have hurt. Especially when pretty much every LIV player made it through with a few in the mix on Sunday.

He needs to stop having himself used as the mouth piece for the PGA and get back to being just a golfer. He carries enough weight of expectation on his shoulders without adding to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Especially since the guy is a European. Why is he the face of the PGA Tour. I know he plays his golf there but he seems to have forgotten about the DP World tour and has started missing Irish opens.

He needs to keep his head down and concentrate on his golf. Let an American be the spokesperson for the PGA.

He has been humbled this week after all his talk about LIV. 3 LIV guys in the top 5 and Rory sitting at home. Learn the lessons Rory.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Russman

Lucas Herbert said at the matchplay when he was drawn to play Rory:

“I would hope so, but I mean, I don’t think anyone in the world beats Rory if he turns up with his A game tomorrow. I don’t care whether it’s me or a 15 handicapper down the road or Jon Rahm. He’s just that good.

“So, I need him to help me out a little bit. But yeah, if I play like I did today, it could be a good match.”

He's hardly just saying that to keep Sky Sports happy. I don't for a second think Rory is or should be above criticism and he brings a lot of it on himself. He needs to learn how Tiger could talk for 90 minutes and say nothing rather than saying what he's actually thinking.

FWIW I don't actually think he's played particularly well this year at all, despite winning in Dubai, arguably even with top 5s in the majors last year, he wasn't really on it IMO. I used to buy into the "one of the greatest drivers we've ever seen" thing, but for me, the last couple of seasons he's been particularly erratic off the tee.

Then again, what do we expect from the top players ? We're never going to get another Tiger. DJ flanked it round Augusta, DeChambeau the same, JT dropped 6 in his last 8 to miss the cut, J Day shot 80 in the last round, Homa 78. Its golf, bad rounds happen. Even Koepka wilted with 75, was Rahm smelling the fear off him ?

100% on this. Let Monahan step up and take the flak rather than hide behind a few top players.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Is that Monaghan GAA or the whole county? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 9,411 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Rory will win at Augusta. He'll win when he starts thinking his chances are over. Mid 40s perhaps.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Heard him being interviewed before the tournament and says to myself, he's sounding more like Pádraig Harrington every day. Full of sh*te in every pre tournament interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

He's hardly just saying that to keep Sky Sports happy.

I don't buy this, I'd say that is exactly what they are doing. I think they are all just trotting out the same banalities. Let Rory think he's invincible. Let people think he is. It hasn't done him much good the last 9 years or so in Majors. It's the complete opposite to the Koepka type mentality of hardened competitors - "they said we couldn't do it" and out to prove everyone wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

Hmm one with 3 majors & the other just 4 so far.... maybe this full of sh*te business has some good in it after all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

HIs change of putter is a particular strange aspect - he was brutal with it - wouldn't surprise me if it was some Rotella bullshit on going back to the past.

I'd say he will be back to the Spider in a few rounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭paulos53

McIlroy has withdrawn from this weeks PGA tour event, even though it is one of the elevated events.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

If Bob Rotella can’t sort his head then nobody will. I know from speaking with some buddies of mine that are close to Seamus Power the affect working with Rotella has had on him and some of the other big PGA Tour players. They swear by him, Harrington is one of his biggest cheerleaders.

Caroline Currid would be irelands version of Rotella, pals of mine have worked with her directly and the affect she has had on them has been mind blowing to be quite honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

That's 2 now and it's only April. I did not for one second believe that players would live up to that commitment. Especially the European players.

The PGA will have to find a way to get him his PIP money without whizzing off any of the other players.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Not exactly walking the walk now, is he?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

"The PGA will have to find a way to get him his PIP money without whizzing off any of the other players."

Legal & Professional fees 😁😁

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

In fairness Rory shouldn't have to play golf at all as has practically done the top guys work for the PGA...and at his own cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Maybe the support of the stadium golf thing is the roundabout way to compensate Tiger and Rory for being excluded from the PIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭cozar

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭blackcard

Rory really struggling with his driving this year. Typically hitting about 4 fairways per round and a lot of his misses are wild. In the water 3 times today, out of bounds twice yesterday. Misses are left and right. Hard to compete with accuracy like that

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

His game is all over the place, horrible place to be with the (golfing) world watching

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Advertisement