Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Won't be seeing too much golf today, 11.30pm tee off for him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

Hope they do that us ga highlights reel of his round again, that's a nice ~15 min summary job in fairness.

P.s. if anyone comes across yesterday's highlights reel of Rory, please post it here, thanks.

Rory, wonderful again yesterday, that's 2 brilliant rounds, think he's just 3 back with loads of others falling away. Way to go!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

How is it so late? That's him teeing off at half 3 in the evening their time. Won't get to see any of it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

1st player out on his own at 9.30 their time. I'd be hoping the Sunday might be different, but then they could say same about The Open, although not to same extent as have to fit daylight in

• Advertisement

The tee times look odd for 2 balls, 11 minutes gap which is long but then there's plenty of 16 minute gaps also!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

The US open website has every golfers, every every shot...

click on any golfer, and underneath you will see a little play button for every hole.

enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Because of the 14 minute delay Rickie had on the 4th tee. They are trying to space it out more so as to minimize those delays

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭techdiver

Why are the tee times so late? Sunset in LA is 8pm local time. The last group are out at 3.40pm local time. Doesn't give much wriggle room. Hopefully the final round is not as late to allow for a potential playoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

For primetime East coast viewing figures I'd say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Trampas

It’s strange alright. Even on east coast it’ll be a 11pm finish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

It's listed in NBC as 1-11pm on Saturday and 1-10 pm on Sunday.

So an hour earlier at least tomorrow, that's something I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

Probably more than an hour if you allow for prize-giving, not to mention a possible play off. And am I right in thinking it’s a four hole play off in the event of a tie?

yep seems so

The Masters goes straight to sudden death, the PGA Championship features a three-hole playoff, while four extra holes are the norm at The Open.

Great position going into the weekend but it's very difficult to get over the line and we've seen it all before.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

Actually, I looked it up just now and found the following.

In the event of a tie at the end of the regulation 72 holes in 2023, a two-hole aggregate playoff will take place on Sunday evening in Hollywood. Players will head back to the first and 18th with all eyes on them and America's national championship up for grabs. If they still can't be separated after two extra holes, it then becomes a sudden death playoff until someone prevails.

Yea I saw that aswell, and directly under that paragraph is this...:

Meanwhile, the USGA’s two-hole aggregate has yet to be used in the men’s Open, but was used at the 2018 U.S. Women’s Open, where Ariya Jutanugarn held off Hyo Joo Kim, and ther 2021 Women’s Open when Yuka Saso beat Nasa Hataoka at The Olympic Club.

Interestingly, none of the four major championships have the same playoff format in place. The PGA Championship uses a three-hole aggregate, while the Open Championship goes with four holes. The Masters is the only major that uses a pure sudden-death format.

very confusing article

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

Birdie on the first, come on Rory,

It’s the hope that kills you!

Another on 3, joint leader on -10.

McIlroy joint leader on 10 under - what a legend!!

Go Rory!!!

• Advertisement

Hopefully only temporary blip there, very quickly ended up 2 behind

• Registered Users Posts: 17,633 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I was going to say Rory is flying, though it was only after 3 holes, being joint top at -10.

He's back to -9 now after 6 and Clark leads on -11. Good luck trying to stay awake for all of this. Harrington was doing great too, not bad in the end though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I hope he is a shot or 2 back after today and not in the final group tomorrow. I think he'd have a really good chance if that were the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

Still -9 after 7.

He doesn’t seem to like the back 9 on this course so hopefully he’ll pick up a few in the next few holes, especially the 8th, hopefully he’ll match Harrington’s eagle on 8 earlier!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,526 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He's right in contention but I feel like he could be leading. I feel like his round was disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Has a great chance. The two leaders are beatable. I think Scheffler 3 behind the two leaders could be the biggest danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,526 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'd have to agree. Clark is a danger too though. He is a massively talented golfer and finally got his first win about two months ago. I heard his post tournament interview back then and he explained how he slowed himself down and concentrated on every shot. He hasn't faltered in this tournament yet. He is very aggressive just like Rory. The shot he hit on the last was brilliant. Everybody was saying it's a flag you don't go at but he put it to about five feet and holed the putt.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

I know it’s early but surprised there isn’t more activity in this thread. McIlroy’s best chance in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I suspect it’s the time, I haven’t seen any coverage so far, unfortunately I won’t see the final stretch tonight either as I’ve an early start tomorrow. Hope he wins.

• Advertisement

Seemed to be smart golf and playing within himself. Hopefully a fast start tonight to ramp up some pressure. I'm more fearful of a player from a bit further back shooting a score and setting a good clubhouse target. Tightly packed leaderboard, fingers crossed he gets it done

Advertisement