Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

• Registered Users Posts: 38,520 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Eight of the last ten winners of the Fed Ex Cup are major winners. Are you saying that's just a fluke?

Let's just clarify things here.

I'm sure you can see from my other posts that I'm not anti-Rory in any way.

I'm glad that he's one of the players who won the week before a major.

I'm just airing my concerns about this considering how few times it's happened.

As I pointed out theres been a lot more winners of three consecutive tournaments than players who have won a tournament followed by a major.

I think that alone is reason for concern. I just don't like it. That doesn't mean he can't or won't do it, just that I don't like the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,580 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Don’t be a silly billy. I said the FedEx is not a major, that is an indisputable fact. I’m not disputing him winning it, it’s great to win, he gets an impressive pot for doing so. As for the Scottish Open, there is not a poster on here who is silly enough to think that the “stellar field” would travel to play in that tournament if it wasn’t played on links the week before the Open. Again great win, but let’s not get carried away, it’s a practice tournament for the big boys.

I really don’t know why a few get so animated at any opinion which doesn’t agree with theirs, God knows there are enough people who know far more than us, that are not always effusive in their praise for Mcilroy. If he plays well and wins or comes in the top 10, great, if he tanks or can’t hit the green with a wedge or misses loads of putts, then he, as a professional golfer, is going to take some stick.

So you are just going to ignore the fact that eight of the last ten winners of the Fed Ex cup are major winners. It's not a major but the best of the best, as in major winners, win the Fed Ex cup. It blows up your stupid suggestions.

It's quite clear you are just a troll. If not then you are just not very smart.

Hopefully everybody just ignores you from now on. I know I certainly will.

• Advertisement

Ugh, you just want someone to play with.

Go back and read my post, I’m not disputing who the winners are, what they have won, I pointed out the indisputable fact that the FedEx is not a major, are you saying that because there have been so many major/FedEx winners, it blows up my stupid suggestion that the FedEx is not a major? I’m not sure you are in a position to comment on smarts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

I see head doctor Bob is there with him on the range

must be his hardest client

"poor" Bob

Its totally fair and just criticism based on him not winning the only tournaments that truly matter.

He is 0 for 33 in Majors. Its not good enough and ITS BECAUSE of his immense talent that he is picked apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭coillcam

Poor Bob gets more than a few bob from Rory and his contemporaries. I don't think he's too perturbed about seeing Rory any time. Brad Faxon would be another on the payroll/stable and I recall commentators flagging him over the last year or so.

It's funny that I always think back to the recent-ish Rory/Kimmage interview. Rory admits he's a stubborn git and always wants to fix it or figure it out himself. In so far as that's what he always did and it worked for him. Famously loyal to Bannon too. I hope he keeps doing whatever he's doing at the minute anyway.

Man if I had the cash I'd love to actually do a session with Rotella to see if he's any different to his books.

Most of these guys are just trolls. They love to see people respond and argue they are wrong. I think they think that most people who respond are angry or upset and they get a kick out of that.

• Advertisement

you described it as a glorified wheelbarrow of cash

whatever that means

I would have thought it was self explanatory.

Just to add some flesh to it. Before the FedEx the high paying tournaments at the end of the golfing season were when top golfers “filled their wheelbarrows” full of cash by playing lucrative tournaments with reduced fields. The FedEx filled that end of season slot by having an enormous pot, and reducing field. It also incidentally, used to offer a wheelbarrow full of cash for the winner of the FedEx in its early years, though I suspect that was just a publicity stunt, no doubt a nod to the term used by the golfers for it.

https://www.irishgolfdesk.com/news-files/2009/9/24/wheelbarrow-time-at-east-lake.html

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/1431615-the-25-most-ludicrous-paydays-in-pro-golf.amp.html

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2007/oct/31/golf.sport

Post edited by Dav010 on

but is the a glorified event? this is what you do try to belittle things he has won

its been going for 15 years at this stage

goes the whole season

what has the large purse got to do with it?

what are majors? just important golf tournaments, a marketing ploy

Are you asking what the $75m bonus pot/$18m winners prize has to do with me calling the FedEx a glorified wheelbarrow dash.

If you are asking what majors are, saying they are a marketing ploy, there isn’t much point in helping to differentiate between them and standard events from the players/fans perspective.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

He has only not one a green jacket. Everything else in the game he has won that is worth winning. If he won the Masters next year he could retire and would be one of the greatest ever to play the game but his detractors would just bang the he only won 5 major drum...

yes, why is a glorified wheelbarrow dash? you might answer that at some point

yeah, that's all the majors are, another golf tournament, initially when golf was less organized you might get a few americans over for the british open, might have meant something, but now sure they play each other every week

pro sport is marketing, just there to sell something to a punter

No I won’t answer it anymore for you, I think I have done my best at this stage.

Golf majors are not just another golf tournament, anymore than tennis majors are not just any other tennis tournament, or the Olympics are not just any other sporting event for athletes. I really can’t help you if you think players/fans see golf majors as being the same as say, the Irish Open, a competition for professional golfers.

Thats not the point at all.

He gets scrutinised because of his massive talent and zero major wins in 9 years.

He gets harsh criticism from some because he has only been in contention come the back nine on Sunday 2 times out of his last 33 attempts (LACC '23 & St. Andrews '22)

They are just facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

Very true about the FedEx and how similar it is to the LIV events Rory maligns so much

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

The reason for this might be because serious major contenders are using the previous tournament as a prep, or are not even playing it. It's very naive to argue that a previous win mechanically makes it less likely to win a major. While I appreciate you're getting your Rory excuses in early, statistics must be analysed with some degree of thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Hilarious to hear the scottish open is a nothing event. It sure didn't look like that given the top players reactions at falling by the wayside.

End of the day when the pressure was on he's birdied 17 and 18, two holes that had a total of 5 birdies all day.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭OEP

How can people think losing in Scotland with a 54 hole lead would have been better than winning, particularly in the fashion he did? Especially after last year's Open and this year's US Open where he didn't close out well. Think about that for a minute. The last time he won a major he won back to back to back ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

Will Bob be able to fix his mental brittleness in time though? Proof of the pudding will be what eaten on Sunday afternoon. Likely another bitter aftertaste of humble pie for Rory

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Why on earth are people talking about the fed ex cup? And why would winning in Scotland hurt his chances?? He won't win a major again in his career imo. 4 times a year you have everyone talk up his chances and he is nearly always top 3 in the favs , the bookies must adore the man.

@OEP - I think it's fairly safe to say that on any given week it's hard to win an event. It's harder to win back-to-back for obvious reasons. Tbf some players mentally take a holiday after winning. Be it the stress of the grind, celebration or whatever reason.

I'd safely say Rory grinding that win on 17/18 with a bit of magic tbf leaves him in a much better place. Mentally his head must be fairly calm and his confidence has to be up. In those conditions, he could easily have chucked in a double bogey on the back 9 and whimpered out of contention. That scenario would probably be less than favourable coming into the open.

@lbunnae the bookies make plenty of money with or without Rory in the field. He may well not win another major in his career but IMO, he has it in him to win 1 or 2 more before he declines. What do you think prevents him from winning another major?

I don't think Bob or psychologists can fix mental brittleness as you describe it. From the limited understanding I have of sports psychology, it's not a take 2 pills and rub this cream you're cured situation. It's more along the lines of questioning your thought process and belief system. Also providing some practical tools for dealing with a given situation. Moving away from results based thinking, more like committing to a moment fully and accepting the outcome. Rinse-repeat to the next hole and round. Post mortems for another day. I'm not a Psychology expert by any means but I don't think a couple of chats on the range would necessarily "fix" or top-up anyone.

He might have been chatting to Bob about his wife and daughter or saying well done in Scotland for all we know. I wonder what Dr Bob would have to say to the Mayo footballers, that I would love to be a fly on the wall for that conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

Id say Bob is at most Majors along with most coaches not just for the one individual either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Russman

Jeez, we sure don't like successful players, do we ? Sometimes it seems if someone isn't Tiger of 2000-2001, they're nothing.

I've no issue with criticising Rory when he says or does something stupid, or if his putting is poor this week or fair critique of his game or whatever, but FFS ".....Likely another bitter aftertaste of humble pie for Rory" wtf is wrong with people ? The guy has basically played stellar golf for the best part for 15 years. Is every aspect of his game top notch ? of course not. Could/should he have won more ? Yeah, I think he should have probably 3 more majors anyway by now. Reed's Masters, the Open last year and the US Open this year. Cam Smith held everything he looked at on the day, and even a plodder like Clarke will have a red hot day at times.

I don't buy the mental brittleness line though, not for a second. He's come out on top when its really down to the wire too many times for it to be an issue bigger then normal human nature IMO. FedEx Vs DJ, his USPGA at Kiawah against Tiger in the wind, his USPGA against Phil and Rickie, FedEx Vs Koepka, the finish at the K Club, the finish last week, the finish in Canada against JT. I think he's shown many times that when its right down to a head to head, he's more than capable. Nobody is going to come out on top all the time.

Even last week in Scotland, while its obviously a prep for the Open in terms of conditions, there wasn't a player teeing it up that wasn't trying to win. It's certainly not like a pre season friendly in football.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

Is it really fair comment & criticism of Rory though!?

I find the tone & content of some of your posts, Dav01, & a few others here to be not much more than very begrudging, bitter sounding, derogatory attempts at trolling tbh.

Imho, ye come across like a bunch of seriously jealous, bitter, little children spoiling for a fight.

Now that is fair comment & criticism of ye based on your posts!! So suck it up!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭OEP

It's harder to win back to back because it hard to win - e.g. he has a 5% chance of winning any tournament. I don't believe he has less than 5% chance of winning the week after a win (pulled those numbers out of my arse but the point still stands). Which is what some people are claiming.

Edit: McIlroy's win % is actually around 9% so you could take that as a rough estimate of his chances of winning on any given week.

Advertisement