Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Not looking like an end to his major drought

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

Game over. Another Major gets the better of him.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Not just him to be fair. Brooks was well in it too and the course beat him up too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

touts wrote: »
    Game over. Another Major gets the better of him.

Terrible luck there with the ball plugging on the downslope...however what was inexcusable was thr 3 put before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Piehead

Same old Mcilmiss. He’ll never win another major

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Great to see some new posters all of a sudden :rolleyes:

Terrible luck there with the ball plugging on the downslope...however what was inexcusable was thr 3 put before hand.

Yeah. That put the crack in his mental game and it shattered quickly afterwards.

But at least he got into the final 9 holes of a major still in contention before imploding. That's progress I suppose.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

There is debate and there are trolls. Let us deal how we see fit

• Registered Users Posts: 18,014 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Inches from eagle

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

So close yet again. Really should be on top although much better at the longer putts

• Advertisement

paulie21 wrote: »
    Inches from eagle

Yeah. Fair play to him. Really feared for him after the previous holes. He needs others to keep falling apart though and that's a big ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

Never understand the if only it wasn’t plugged, if it wasn’t on the etc. Sport and Golf in particular is cruel and it’s about limiting the cruelty and making the most of it and not talking about “if only”s which seems to be the narrative for Mcilroy. He’s just not as good as the very best. Is that so hard to accept? I’m growing tired of the attention and airtime given to him, why? Because it is not deserved and there are other players far superior that don’t get the same airtime. He’s made a ton of cash so I couldn’t give a fiddlers and I’m sure he couldn’t either. He also seems like a very opinionated and divisive figure who in my mind is very unpleasant, hypocritical and self serving,

Is this trolling? Is this a Mcilroy fan club thread only?

Great chip. Nearly holed it. Looks like a very close but no cigar week for him.

Didn’t take his opportunities on the front when he played really well and then a stupid 3 putt really ended his chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Yep to answer your question it seems only positive things can be said in here about McIlroy. Any criticism and you're shown a yellow card.

Yep to answer your question it seems only positive things can be said in here about McIlroy. Any criticism and you're shown a yellow card.

Oh it’s back for some reason :)

Never understand the if only it wasn’t plugged, if it wasn’t on the etc. Sport and Golf in particular is cruel and it’s about limiting the cruelty and making the most of it and not talking about “if only”s which seems to be the narrative for Mcilroy. He’s just not as good as the very best. Is that so hard to accept? I’m growing tired of the attention and airtime given to him, why? Because it is not deserved and there are other players far superior that don’t get the same airtime. He’s made a ton of cash so I couldn’t give a fiddlers and I’m sure he couldn’t either. He also seems like a very opinionated and divisive figure who in my mind is very unpleasant, hypocritical and self serving,

It was reviewed and has been approved.

Keano wrote: »
    It was reviewed and has been approved.

Why should that be reviewed in any forum or platform? Pure opinion and commentary, most people would have the same chat with someone making their coffee in the morning. Entering very odd and dangerous territory on a whole heap things. Golf now FFS!!???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Why should that be reviewed in any forum or platform? Pure opinion and commentary, most people would have the same chat with someone making their coffee in the morning. Entering very odd and dangerous territory on a whole heap things. Golf now FFS!!???

Do you just want an argument?

I’m sure you will find that most mcilroy fans can be very critical of him. He deserves plenty of criticism for some of his play and decision making on the course.
    Just didn’t hole a putt today really and didn’t get the breaks like Rahm got but that’s the way it goes.

As for the personal criticism; that’s over the top I think. It’s nice to see a player actually be open with the press unlike many sports people. Has he got things wrong at times-sure but who hasn’t. I actually do think he should stop being so open in his press briefings.

He has been sensational for Irish golf and supports Irish golf in a massive way.

Do you just want an argument?

No, more a debate on his ability rather than adulation but I was not allowed to do this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Hard to see this as anything other than a massive missed opportunity. A real shame as it's the best he's played at a major in terms of his all-round game in a while

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭bustercherry

:P. You should try harder

Hard to see this as anything other than a massive missed opportunity. A real shame as it's the best he's played at a major in terms of his all-round game in a while

Missed opportunity alright but at least he was back in contention again. Hadn’t been in contention since the final group at the masters with Reed.

Putter has been massively cold at the weekend. Played pretty well tee to green. I’d say his SG putting stats are pretty bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

I think the second sentence is the important part and the way his game was 10 weeks or so ago you wouldnt have thought a US Open would have been the major he would contend in, plenty of positives to be taken from it and good momentum for the British Open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

No birdies on par 5 9th or 18th won't get the job done on major Sunday.

A hugh missed opportunity.

:P. You should try harder

How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

No birdies on par 5 9th or 18th won't get the job done on major Sunday.

A hugh missed opportunity.

-6 on the Par 5's this week, I would say that is a huge step forward for him, has been playing par 5's in majors terribly and trying to force things on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,586 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

No, more a debate on his ability rather than adulation but I was not allowed to do this.

Criticism can cause distress.

Missed opportunity alright but at least he was back in contention again. Hadn’t been in contention since the final group at the masters with Reed.

Putter has been massively cold at the weekend. Played pretty well tee to green. I’d say his SG putting stats are pretty bad.

-2.34 strokes gained on the greens this week. That’s where the problem lies over the weekend. Even in his 67 on Saturday he had a few more chances.
    Obviously the awful 3 putt on 11 was the ultimately the killer on Sunday he also missed a number of good birdie chances on 5,7 and on 9.

Very much a big opportunity missed but it did seem like Rahms name was on the trophy in the end. Got the breaks he needed and then took it by the scruff of the neck. Contrast that with the break Rory got on 12.

Positive signs moving forward. Only one major left this year though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

touts wrote: »
    Yeah. That put the crack in his mental game and it shattered quickly afterwards.

But at least he got into the final 9 holes of a major still in contention before imploding. That's progress I suppose.

Rory definitely did not implode.

Advertisement