Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

I'm a big Rory fan (as frustrating as that is) but surely others are entitled to their view?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

The guy was just a troll. Reasonable debate from fans and haters of McIlroy always welcome. It makes for a more interesting read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

McIlroy is just another player these days, nothing special about him anymore.

No majors in 9 years. Considering he won 4 in the space of 4 years in the early 2010s and was only in his mid 20's you'd have expected him to push on from that point but he hasn't. He genuinely looked like he was going to be really dominant (as dominant as you can be in golf) . The very minimum I would have expected since then was another 3 or 4 majors.

In spite of all his success I think he might look back and think he's massively underachieved. He isn't even the best player of his generation any more never mind pushing to be the greatest of all time (and it looked like he was genuinely on his way to that) .

• Registered Users Posts: 38,517 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He's a great player and been very close a lot. The first thing he needs to change is trying to hit the ball miles off the tee every time. He needs a game plan. I seen the putting coach staying behind him watching his stroke. Did he not watch him on the course? It's very simple to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I think he has changed his thinking on driving it miles. He has introduced a 2w into his bag. He even said it himself. He seen a video of last major win and he was surprised himself of how many irons he hit off the tee.

The putting coach may have other players in his stable who needs to coach too?

What's the simple fix?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭cosatron

I'm sorry now, look it he might never win another major and lads might bash him for it on here, but to say his nothing special simply shows your lack of knowledge of golf. Did you not see his second shot on the 18th holes in the Scottish open or his bunker shot on the 18th Friday. Very few players in world can play them shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

And yet it resulted in nothing this week as he's not even close to contending.

Playing spectacular shots every now and again is meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭cosatron

Ah, he won the Scottish open off a meaningless spectacular shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Musicrules

He has trouble at majors mentally, getting over the line but he has been close on numerous occasions. He's far from just another player as you said. 2 wins this year, FedEx cup last year and number 2 in the world proves that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭antimatterx

What's the expected finishing time today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

He's the most natural player by a mile ability wise. If you made a deal with the devil for a golf swing it's Rory's swing you'd trade for.

In that sense he's behind his potential but there is a lot of pressure on him and he doesn't have the personality to let that just pearl off. Thats not a criticism, he's essentially a good guy and tries to be a good guy, too, and maybe thats not ideal. Maybe he just cares too much in a thinking kind of way and not enough at the same time in a simple minded bullish sort of way.

I read a book some years ago written by a sports psychologist about Thomas Mueller the footballer. He was only average amongst his peers when he was 17, 18. You see that today even, he's no Messi and never has been. Loads of players streets ahead of him in Munich when he was a kid. Who all now work at colleges or in average business jobs and he's won a World Cup and a couple of Champions Leagues and ten Leagues or so. It's all in the mind.

Rory puts his foot in every now and then but his heart is in the right place and I wish him well and he may well find that mental slot yet and go on a second half of career run.

As for today not a hope in hell. Harman is not the kind of player who blows up. The others will have to catch him and he's too far ahead for anyone outside 4, 5 shots I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭noc1980

He's the most talented I've ever seen swing a club but he just doesn't have that killer winner mentality the greats have. When he was younger he told his parents he wanted to quit the game, something you can't imagine a Tiger or Jack ever contemplating. Rory will finish up with a great career on paper but given his talent an underwhelming one. There's no way he should have fewer majors than Faldo and only one more than Harrington, both would admit that Rory is another league to them talent wise.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

His game tee to green is as good as anybody's.

He gets into great positions but the putter just goes cold.

His frustration is obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,627 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I heard for the first 2 days he was in the top 5 for approach play but was outside the top 100 for putting. And it was the same story yesterday, great approach play but 2 putted almost everything. When he finished his round yesterday he went to the practice green to try and work on his putting, but I heard commentators say it was no better.

He's dropped a shot on the 2nd hole today, so what ever slim remote chance he had of winning is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I just checked scores there- is he not 1 under after 3?

Par, par, birdie start it shows on the app?

He won the Scottish Open last week where 8 of the world's top 10 golfers were playing. He showed great bottle to win, particularly towards the end.

But when it comes to the majors he must have some mental block because often times he starts off poorly and finishes strong and vice versa.

He's world number 3, still wins tournaments and he can still finish in the top 10 or higher today, with rounds that are average by his standards. It just goes to show if he can get his putting clicking, he will win more majors yet.

BBC said he was on -2 after 2. They must have made an error because it now says he's -4 after 3. I must put it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

PGA tour leaderboard has been adjusted as well. Obviously a mistake was made and all sites are pulling from the one source

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Here's the scorecard from the app, also looks like he has a 14' birdie putt on 4.

Although haven't seen it live since about 12 o clock.

McIlroy now -5 after 4. 2 birdies in a row.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

He's-5 back to back on 3 and 4 after par par.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

4 4 3 3 is his start, confusion was because he played a provisional on the 2nd, but found the original ball and made 4, that Scotsmen on sky is hard to listen to, rubbish player, rubbish commentator

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Doc07

I agree with underachieving in Majors considering his ability, although I do think there is /has been more depth in the field up against Rory compared to even Tiger/Michelson era (DJ, JT, JSpie th, Brooks, Bubba etc, etc)

However, your line that he’s just another player and not special is a bit ‘special’ in itself. He came back from 10 behind to beat world no. 1 in the FedEx cup last year and has won it more than anyone in last 10 years.

Rory has a birdie putt of less than 10 feet on the par 5 5th to go to -6.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,398 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Rory sinks this at five and a shaky start here for Harman and we might be in business for an interesting afternoon.

Harman did show some mettle yesterday though

Oooffff needs to grind out a par there

Rory made that putt to go to -6, but he has a tough up and down on the par 3 7th after pulling it left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Incoming Rory charge

Advertisement