Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,627 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

It's fine margins the commentators say. And it is, as Rory's putt just catches the edge of the lip of the hole and stays out. When you look at the lucky breaks some of the other players like Harman and Rahm are getting. And as I say that, Day chips in from off the green.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,398 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Nobody making any charge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Yeah he's a fantastic player but I definitely would agree he's not a special player anymore , you cant not win a major in nearly 10 years and still be classed as a special player.

Rahm drops a shot so Harman has a 6 shot lead. He's not going to drop 6 shots. Will he drop 3 and others make up 3 shots for at least a play-off? Doesn't look likely.

It's back to 5 shots as Straka gets to -7.

Rory back to -6, 4 holes left. He has to pick up at least 2 shots, probably 3 for the slenderest of glimmers of hope.

Rory has gone from the left hand rough off his tee shot, to the rough on the right hand side on the par 5 15th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

To me as a non-golfer, McIlroys problem seems to be that he is always in contention. He should do like the rest of the "top" golfers and just be an also-ran in most events, then pop up every now and then to make a run at a major.

Maybe if he did that he would get less criticism. It might seem strange that playing worse would get less criticism, but there must be some reason all these lads on the internet treat him so differently to all the other "top" players.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I'd love to have Rory's problems to be honest. How many players in the world have had as much success as he has had? In an era where many others like him have had similar talent and just as much ability?

Majors are extremely hard to come by and golf is an extremely difficult game. Who knows what's going on in his head and indeed what the impact of winning 4 majors already and the untold riches that came with it has had on his games especially in majors.

He's done alright this week and will no doubt be challenging for the odd major for the next decade and in plenty top tens.

Only par for Rory on the par 5 15th. Birdie putt trickles past the right edge. It feels like a bogey at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Lots of top 10 finishes might give the impression to a non golfer that he was in contention in the majors a lot of times since his last win, the reality is different though.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭noc1980

Many others in his era have had his talent and ability? I can't think of one. He won a US Open by 8 shots and his game had pundits saying he could be the next Tiger. Nobody's said that about even the best players today, Rahm, Koepka etc..

• Advertisement

Rory's second shot on the 16th lands on the green but it's on a slope and rolls off. I think he swore as the commentators said apologies for any language you might have heard from him as he's very frustrated. They brought up a stat on screen, Rory is still in the top 5 for approach play for the week, 5th.

Rory must have made bogey from there, I missed it, as he's back on -5.

Tiger is a complete outlier. There is no "next" Tiger. Plenty players get those types of things said about them from time to time.

Setting totally unrealistic expectations for any player to get that label.

What is clear from this thread is that you do not judge him by the same standards as other golfers. You criticise constantly with no acknowledgement of how he compares to his peers, your agenda is obvious and makes it impossible to take you seriously.

Firstly, I don’t criticise constantly, I just don’t give him the unqualified praise that others do. Secondly, as agendas go, saying what others can clearly see, what has been reported on by people far more knowledgeable than me, that he struggles to make the most of his talent, is hardly unique. Thirdly, I’m indifferent about whether you take me seriously, and lastly, if you think finishing position equates to being in contention, or think that he should basically be happy to be compared to other golfers who have less talent, then I’m not sure what to say about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Another very good major from McIlroy, looks like a top 5. He's had more of them than anyone else in the last 10 years. The weather conditions wouldn't suit his game so it was a tremendous effort. The wait continues however. If he keeps contending he'll definitely win more. It's just very difficult to win majors. Other great players like Rahm, Scheffler, Koepka etc and then a whole host of others who are capable of winning with a good week like we see with Harman here, Clark at the US open and many others over the years. McIlroy has finished 2nd, 5th and 7th in 3 of the majors this year. Excellent but not what he wants. He still has plenty of time to win more.

You have to say Rory's messed up those 2 par 5's on the back 9. The 2 tee shots didn't help, and still despite this he had birdie chances on them. He finished level par for the back 9. That bogey on 16 reminded me of his only bogey yesterday where he landed on the green in 2 but rolled back off, a little unfortunate. He left birdies out there again, as he did yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭noc1980

From just one of the articles comparing Rory to Tiger back in 2012...

Rory McIlroy Is Dominating Golf The Way Tiger Woods Once Did

Robert Garrigus, who finished fourth on Sunday, couldn't help but compare McIlroy's latest performances to the way Tiger was playing in his prime.

Garrigus had this to say (via ESPN):

"He's pretty awesome, isn't he? It's kind of tough to sum up something like that. You make putts like that and hit it as straight as he does and got a good short game. … It's kind of like Tiger was doing back in the day. It's pretty impressive."

• He's the first golfer on the PGA Tour to win tournaments in back-to-back weeks since Tiger did it in August 2009.

• At 23, McIlroy is the youngest player since Seve Ballesteros to win two major titles. (PGA Championship in 2012, U.S. Open in 2011) Tiger was four months older than Rory when he clinched his second major.

• He joined Jack Nicklaus and Woods as one of the only golfers to win six PGA tour events by age 23. Tiger had 15 PGA Tour wins by age 23.

There's no doubt the comparisons to Tiger will continue as long as he's playing this well.

Lowering the bar for his career by claiming the likes of Koepka, Rahm, Scheffler are just as talented and talking about how tough it is to win majors is borderline silly. Rory was a generational talent, you would have got odds of 500/1 back then that'd he be still sitting on 4 majors in 2023. Whatever way you cut it he has not delivered on expectations.

I don't get your point? The article was wrong. Rory has not proved to be better than Koepka , Rahm , Spieth even etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

It would have been a cracker of an open,only for BH,2nd place must have changed 15 times today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Musicrules

You're stating the obvious to be fair and not counteracting anyone's claims.

• Advertisement

Your pedantry about "contention" just reinforces my point. You are the one focusing on this and you are only doing it as yet another way to get a dig in at McIlroy. I mean, god forbid a player constantly finishing high in tournaments be seen as contending. God no, its McIlroy so you have to make sure to stress that he isn't actually contending at all, despite those high placings. Just like you have to make sure people know that the tournaments he does win are just meaningless training runs.

Its an agenda and it is sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

For the record that's McIlroy's 20th top ten finish in a major since he last won one. For all that they're hard to win, 25 other players have managed it since he last did, so for a consistent top ten in the world golfer they're not that hard to win.

My own personal view is that he's choosing to put himself at a disadvantage every time he goes on the course by having a mate on the bag, when everyone else has a proper caddy. The quality of that second opinion can often be the difference between winning and losing tournaments, but Rory chooses not to utilise it for whatever reason. I suspect it's a decision he'll come to regret when he looks back on his career.

He's obviously not been playing as well as he was then. The article essentially qualifies the tiger like run of form on that basis.

The expectations were completely unrealistic. Hes made a fantastic career for himself, his family will want for nothing and he has plenty time to continue to leave a mark on golf.

Golf is a fickle game, there's very little between winners and losers. McIlroy has been one of the most consistent golfers of the past 15 years if not the most consistent.

Sure what if he hasn't fulfilled those unrealistic expectations? I doubt it bothers him in reality and it sure as hell doesn't bother me.

It isn’t pedantry to call you out on the distinction between contending for a major and finishing in the top 10. Many of those top 10s were repeats of this weekend’s performance where a charge on the last day moved him up the leaderboard without ever troubling the winner. If you see todays performance as contending, fair enough, many don’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭Russman

What does "a proper caddy" mean though ? Harry could be the best caddy in the world for all any of us know. Personally I don't really buy the argument that a mate is a bad thing. You just have to look at the variety of backgrounds that some of the caddies come from to see there's no perfect prototype. I'd say whatever the player is most comfortable with is best. I mean, if he'd even putted just poorly he'd probably have won this week, nothing the caddy can do about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

This caddy argument for McIlroy is total nonsense, in my opinion. At Rory's level, he should know his game well enough so that a caddy doesn't need to be babysitting him around a course in terms of shot advice. Having a mate on the bag can work wonders in terms of relaxing a player. McIlroy is putting himself in there to win pretty much every Major he plays in. He just needs to stick at it. It'll happen for him.

Yeah but it obviously doesn't relax him very much

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. I personally doubt that his caddy has anything to do with him not winning a major in 10 years but only Rory will really know that.

I'd agree there , I just don't think the caddy calms him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Who is a special player right now in your opinion?

Advertisement