Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Can I Close My Account?

Options
  • 13-05-2021 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Here is a frustrating timeline of my attempts to close my BOI account. 

I submitted the account closure form in April. 

I was not notified that my account did not close properly. 

I was charged a 6$ monthly service fee (this is extortionate and one of the many many reasons I am closing my account). 

I called yesterday and asked if they could remove the charge and bring my balance to 0 so I could close my account. They told me they could not help me. I called again.

2 customer service reps hung up on me. 

The third gave me an email address. When I emailed, they said they only handle account openings not closings and could not point me any account closing department 

After receiving no help, I transferred ~6 euros to my account to bring it to 0 and filled out the account closure form again. 

I checked my bank balance today and BOI had APPLIED ANOTHER FEE of 0.02!! There is no explanation of what this fee is for (it says TX CODE = 250). 

I transferred another 0.02 into the account to zero the balance AGAINB and, for the third time, filled out the account closure form. 

My account is still open. What do I do? I have moved out of Ireland and can not go to a branch to deal with this in person.

Please help me. I don't know what else to do!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

Boi1717 wrote: »

I was charged a 6$ monthly service fee (this is extortionate and one of the many many reasons I am closing my account). 

I called yesterday and asked if they could remove the charge and bring my balance to 0 so I could close my account. They told me they could not help me. I called again.

The third gave me an email address. When I emailed, they said they only handle account openings not closings and could not point me any account closing department 

After receiving no help, I transferred ~6 euros to my account to bring it to 0 and filled out the account closure form again. 

I checked my bank balance today and BOI had APPLIED ANOTHER FEE of 0.02!! There is no explanation of what this fee is for (it says TX CODE = 250). 

I transferred another 0.02 into the account to zero the balance AGAINB and, for the third time, filled out the account closure form. 

My account is still open. What do I do? I have moved out of Ireland and can not go to a branch to deal with this in person.

Hi Boi1717

Thanks for checking in with us here.

Sorry to hear of the difficulties with the account closure. 

The request generally can take up to 2 weeks. 

If it was late April it is possible the account closure may be in process. Could you PM us please with the following:

Name on account
    Branch account is held with
    Contact number
    Date of request

We will do our best to help you here,

Many thanks,
    Alison

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Boi1717

Hi Boi1717

If it was late April it is possible the account closure may be in process. Could you PM us please with the following:

Name on account
    Contact number
    Date of request

Many thanks,
    Alison
    Hi. I've sent a DM but would love for you to clarify publicly the answer to this question. It takes TWO WEEKS to close a bank account?! AND if, during that time, your incredibly high fees are applied to the account, it cancels the closure process because the balance is no longer 0?!

Hi Boi1717

Name on account
    Contact number
    Date of request

Many thanks,
    Alison
    Hi. I've sent a DM but would love for you to clarify publicly the answer to this question. It takes TWO WEEKS to close a bank account?! AND if, during that time, your incredibly high fees are applied to the account, it cancels the closure process because the balance is no longer 0?!
    Hi Bio1717

Once the account is at a 0.00 balance when you make request any future monthly fees will be waived if these post to account in the meantime.

We have received your PM, we are following up on this for you. Sometimes the tx code you mention appears when the account is in the final stage of closure. We're checking this for you. 

Many thanks
    Alison

Hi Boi1717

Name on account
    Contact number
    Date of request

Many thanks,
    Alison
    Hi Bio1717

Once the account is at a 0.00 balance when you make request any future monthly fees will be waived if these post to account in the meantime.

We have received your PM, we are following up on this for you. Sometimes the tx code you mention appears when the account is in the final stage of closure. We're checking this for you. 

Many thanks
    Alison
    Hello. I still have not heard anything regarding my account. Can you please PM me and let me know if my account is closed?

Hi Boi1717

Name on account
    Contact number
    Date of request

Many thanks,
    Alison
    Hi Bio1717

Many thanks
    Alison
    Hello. I still have not heard anything regarding my account. Can you please PM me and let me know if my account is closed?
    Hi Bio1717

We have just sent you an update on the query by PM.

Hoping it helps, 

Many thanks,
    Alison

• Advertisement

Reviving this thread. I just received an email from Bank of Ireland with a statement, although my account was "closed" according to you, before this quarter began. Could you please confirm that my account is closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Jennifer

Hi There,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here today. If you received a confirmation that the account is closed it is very likely that the email has been sent in error and we would advise that you ignore this as no further action would be required.

For security reasons we do not have account access here on Boards and we would recommend that you contact our customer service team directly on 0818 365 365 or 0035314044000(from abroad) and our colleagues here will be happy to confirm the status of the account.

We hope this helps.

Thanks Jen

Advertisement