Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vaccination how are you getting on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

_Brian wrote: »
    Friend had anaphylactic reaction to the JJ vaccine, an hour after getting the jab.

Scary thing but she’s fine now.

Won’t deter me from getting it, people get reactions to lots of things, it’s pet of being human. I had a friend who was a bee keeper for a few years and got stung at a friends hive, nearly died from the reaction.

Ya never know whats gonna get ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I got the shot in Tullamore yesterday. In and out in under 20 mins included the 10 min observation at the end.
    It was Pfizer I got. Never felt a thing going in. Arm a bit sore at the injection site today but nothing major. Zero other side effects so far that I've noticed.
    A friend of mine didnt get the text and when he checked the portal his appointment was on it 10 mins time from when he checked. He rang and they told him to come on over and he was was seen.
    So check the portal , don't rely on the text.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

_Brian wrote: »
    Friend had anaphylactic reaction to the JJ vaccine, an hour after getting the jab.

Scary thing but she’s fine now.

Won’t deter me from getting it, people get reactions to lots of things, it’s pet of being human. I had a friend who was a bee keeper for a few years and got stung at a friends hive, nearly died from the reaction.

An hour after?
    I think you stay for 15 mins, having something like that an hour after would be scary enough...

How did she get over it? Is one of those epi pens the only solution?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

I suppose myself like many other younger people who are on the fence and not rushing into taking the vaccine really are being selfish despite the fact weve been held in a lockdown for the guts of 15 months now at this stage which was all to protect the vulnerable of society. My mental health and fitness have suffered due to the lockdown and it will take a while to come right after it but that doesnt count for anything it seems. One of the longest and dragged out lockdowns in the world and were still none the better for it, but thats what happens when you have a schoolteacher running the country.

Im probably bottom of the list in terms of priority for getting the vaccine and recently it was suggested that vaccines for my demographic be sent to the third world as it was needed over there so obviously theres not a mad panic on to get us innoculated.

Im not a denier nor antivaxxer im just open minded, and being open minded has always had a positive effect on me so far in life. I have a close friend who has an absolute horn on him to get the vaccine for one reason or another but at the same time hes smoking the guts of 30 a day he seems to have tunnel vision that this vaccine is the only thing he can do to protect himself from Covid but hed be as far on giving up the fags between now and V day but hes too narrow minded and blinkered by all the media focus on the vaccine to realise that.

I dont go out looking to catch Covid on a daily basis but I dont go around living in fear of it either because thats no way to live. Im masking up keeping my distance when possible ive gotten two HSE tests when ive had a sniffle just to be sure i wasnt going to be responsible for passing it on to a vulnerable person. I havent been OTT in trying to avoid it all the same and ive gotten away with it so far so ill just keep on doing what im doing.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I suppose myself like many other younger people who are on the fence and not rushing into taking the vaccine really are being selfish despite the fact weve been held in a lockdown for the guts of 15 months now at this stage which was all to protect the vulnerable of society. My mental health and fitness have suffered due to the lockdown and it will take a while to come right after it but that doesnt count for anything it seems. One of the longest and dragged out lockdowns in the world and were still none the better for it, but thats what happens when you have a schoolteacher running the country.

Im probably bottom of the list in terms of priority for getting the vaccine and recently it was suggested that vaccines for my demographic be sent to the third world as it was needed over there so obviously theres not a mad panic on to get us innoculated.

Im not a denier nor antivaxxer im just open minded, and being open minded has always had a positive effect on me so far in life. I have a close friend who has an absolute horn on him to get the vaccine for one reason or another but at the same time hes smoking the guts of 30 a day he seems to have tunnel vision that this vaccine is the only thing he can do to protect himself from Covid but hed be as far on giving up the fags between now and V day but hes too narrow minded and blinkered by all the media focus on the vaccine to realise that.

I dont go out looking to catch Covid on a daily basis but I dont go around living in fear of it either because thats no way to live. Im masking up keeping my distance when possible ive gotten two HSE tests when ive had a sniffle just to be sure i wasnt going to be responsible for passing it on to a vulnerable person. I havent been OTT in trying to avoid it all the same and ive gotten away with it so far so ill just keep on doing what im doing.

Very easy being smart and brave when you've practically no chance of dying from it as opposed to me who is 70 times more likely than you of dying from it.
    if we get it.

wrangler wrote: »
    Very easy being smart and brave when you've practically no chance of dying from it as opposed to me who is 70 times more likely than you of dying from it.
    if we get it.

Smart and brave thats the nicest thing someones said to me in a longtime thank you! Only a few hours ago I was selfish.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

As a Person who is vaccinated and a very very close Family member has died from it. I totally agree with your outlook on the virus and nobody should be forced to get it or made feel bad or shamed for not getting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

For anyone who is vaccinated (partially or full)
    Are you doing the same precautions now as you were a few months ago?

Smart and brave thats the nicest thing someones said to me in a longtime thank you! Only a few hours ago I was selfish.

He also said you were very easy which you could similarly interpret as saying you're a slut...
    Look the vaccine is Free
    It has less chance of killing you than covid,so wheres the harm in taking it?
    The good in taking it,apart from vaccinating you is the countries vaccination stats and herd immunity make it less of a home for new variants to develop as well as being up there with countries considered covid safe quicker and longer for tourism and business

I got mine as a cohort 7 early,no looking back,that was me protected,so other people not getting it can no longer really affect me as my chances of getting it are only 5% of what they were before and zero in severe illness or death now
    Thank you pfizer biontech

He also said you were very easy which you could similarly interpret as saying you're a slut...
    Look the vaccine is Free
    It has less chance of killing you than covid,so wheres the harm in taking it?
    The good in taking it,apart from vaccinating you is the countries vaccination stats and herd immunity make it less of a home for new variants to develop as well as being up there with countries considered covid safe quicker and longer for tourism and business

I got mine as a cohort 7 early,no looking back,that was me protected,so other people not getting it can no longer really affect me as my chances of getting it are only 5% of what they were before and zero in severe illness or death now
    Thank you pfizer biontech

Youre protected now and im relatively low risk so whats the big problem with me not taking the vaccine. I travelled on three plane journeys last April across the world with no mask and very little others wearing them either, i had a slight dose at one point in my 14 days after arriving back as well as getting an absolutely horrible dose last January 12 months when the headlines started to emerge about some new flu in China so chances are ive had it and ive lived to tell the tale so far. Ive never ruled out getting it in the slightest but for some reason having an open mind on it is frowned upon here.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement

Sure it's everyones own choice.
    I always quote my neighbour who won't even take an aspirin,
    Had she not being that way, one of her children would've been another victim of thalidomide all those years ago.
    However she did take the vaccine

Youre protected now and im relatively low risk so whats the big problem with me not taking the vaccine. I travelled on three plane journeys last April across the world with no mask and very little others wearing them either, i had a slight dose at one point in my 14 days after arriving back as well as getting an absolutely horrible dose last January 12 months when the headlines started to emerge about some new flu in China so chances are ive had it and ive lived to tell the tale so far. Ive never ruled out getting it in the slightest but for some reason having an open mind on it is frowned upon here.

I'm not frowning at you
    I'd just love you to get a vaccine
    Whatever covid is,I'd just like it to have a hostile reception in any host it tries to enter because thats what it deserves for all the pain its caused

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭CoBo55

For anyone who is vaccinated (partially or full)
    Are you doing the same precautions now as you were a few months ago?

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Get an antibody test that’ll tell whether you got it or not. If you did you’ll only need one jab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

My dad had to get a test today. The test centre was crazy busy. A lot of school kids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

An hour after?
    I think you stay for 15 mins, having something like that an hour after would be scary enough...

How did she get over it? Is one of those epi pens the only solution?

Yea she ended back in the centre amd got a shot of adrenaline there. GP on call sent her back to the centre.

Heard of someone having a reaction during the 15 minutes. The doctor on duty looked after her at the vaccination centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭jaginsligo

Got Pfizer yesterday in Sligo, appointment was 10:35 was out at 11:35. My arm was sore last night & this morning but it's eased now. I had covid in January & it was scary even though I wasn't too bad with it.
    Let's hope it gets wiped when most are vacinated & it has no where to go

whelan2 wrote: »
    My dad had to get a test today. The test centre was crazy busy. A lot of school kids

Is he not well, did the angio go alright, it's fairly straightforward any way

• Advertisement

Is he not well, did the angio go alright, it's fairly straightforward any way

He has to go back on Tuesday. They need a clear test before he goes up. He's been in bed since he was up last Tuesday. They are not sure what thry are doing on Tuesday. Got them a takeaway tea there now and He's up and about. He did know it was raining yesterday :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Were the school kids getting vaccinated?

He has to go back on Tuesday. They need a clear test before he goes up. He's been in bed since he was up last Tuesday. They are not sure what thry are doing on Tuesday. Got them a takeaway tea there now and He's up and about. He did know it was raining yesterday :cool:

thats not great, hope they sort it for him

Nekarsulm wrote: »

No tested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Has he tried anything besides Tea, key here is early Intervention if he's not snapping back to himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭green daries

Nekarsulm wrote: »

Tested new I think whelan said
    There's a large increase in school kids being tested especially secondary school ages the Kent variant spread more easily in children it/ young adults it seems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Thing with secondary school kids and the movement between classes. There was a positive case in daughters school recently, kid who picked it up at home and brought it to school.
    Abkut 20 kids were close contacts, 16 who sit within the distance in class and another 4 friends he would have sat and had lunch unmasked with.
    Thankfully no additional cases, which shows the masks, sanitising and single desks all provide decent protection against spread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It unusual for to look for a clear test. My better half knows a.nurse involved in testing and tracing. 6 months ago she said that it might not show a clear test for 4-6 weeks+ as the infectious material remains within your system. If after two weeks you are symptoms free and are not coughing you are very unlikely to pass it on. Therefore they were allowing people back to work at this stage depending on being clear of symptoms

Usually second tests were used where a person was clear the first day and the second test 4-5 days later confirms that they have not got the infection. This caught them earlier in the pandemic. People who were in contact with a positive case were tested too early

Slava Ukrainii

Did I miss something, did he get the virus or is it something to do with the angio taht has him in bed.
    Reading Bass's post it looks as if he got the virus.
    I find the excessive tiredness the toughest part of my problem...... can't watch a good film without falling asleep

No he doesn't have the virus. They requested a clear test 2 days prior to going back this Tuesday. They didn't need one last Tuesday for some reason. My brother is positive atm but there has been no contact between them

No he doesn't have the virus. They requested a clear test 2 days prior to going back this Tuesday. They didn't need one last Tuesday for some reason. My brother is positive atm but there has been no contact between them

When I went for my last angio, I was gowned and all ready to go when they asked when I had my test, they nearly fell out of their standing when I said twenty minutes ago...... they went ahead any way, it was too late at that stage to worry about not having the result

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭dalyboy

I’m in the lower end 45-49 year vaccine bracket.

I’ve a question to those who have experienced the process regarding which vaccine have people been offered at the centres.

Do you get a choice between Astra Zeneca and Johnson & Johnson (as in if you’ve a preference for J&J can you opt for it ?)

Secondly if you don’t want AZ and they’ve no stock of of your preference J&J would you have to wait for ages then for one of the MRna vaccines if you refused the AZ ?

(I’m personally hoping for the J&J for the one shot aspect but will gladly accept one of the MRna if available as the 6 weeks to immunity from them is also attractive)
    Thanks in advance

dalyboy wrote: »

I’ve a question to those who have experienced the process regarding which vaccine have people been offered at the centres.

Do you get a choice between Astra Zeneca and Johnson & Johnson (as in if you’ve a preference for J&J can you opt for it ?)

Secondly if you don’t want AZ and they’ve no stock of of your preference J&J would you have to wait for ages then for one of the MRna vaccines if you refused the AZ ?

(I’m personally hoping for the J&J for the one shot aspect but will gladly accept one of the MRna if available as the 6 weeks to immunity from them is also attractive)
    Thanks in advance

No when I went 2 weeks ago there was no choice AZ was the only option. Over the last 8-10 day from friends and acquaintances it most mRNA thaw was available. J&J has become available over the last few days as well.
    My understanding is for your age group that shows up if only AZ or JnJ is available you can opt for a new appointment and you will be booked in when it's available. If mRNA is available you get it

Slava Ukrainii

Thanks in advance

You cannot opt for j&j
    You can only opt out and wait for an mrna vaccine
    If you re first offered an mrna,the only option is to refuse it and rejoin the lottery whereupon you may be offered it a 2nd time
    The idea is under 50s can refuse astra and j&j for mrna but not the other way round

You cannot opt for j&j
    You can only opt out and wait for an mrna vaccine
    If you re first offered an mrna,the only option is to refuse it and rejoin the lottery whereupon you may be offered it a 2nd time
    The idea is under 50s can refuse astra and j&j for mrna but not the other way round

Thanks for the reply.
    Yeah. It’s what I thought.

I personally will be delighted to get either mrna or J&J. The 12-16 weeks between shots on the AZ has zero appeal to me.

Thanks for the reply.

I personally will be delighted to get either mrna or J&J. The 12-16 weeks between shots on the AZ has zero appeal to me.

How come if you don’t mind me asking?

You’re supposed to have immunity after 3 weeks?
    https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/astrazeneca/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Thanks for the reply.

It says in the text you get ( or on the portal) confirming your appointment the vaccine you're down to get.

That site is misleading
    Real world data by public health England today shows Astra after a 2nd dose is only 66% effective against the indian variant
    Pfizer is 88%
    J&j has to be worse

Immunity is one thing.
    The biggest thing for me is when will this immunity be officially recognised and I can achieve a “fully vaccinated” status and a piece of paper or QR code etc in order to allow me unhindered international travel.

I know this issue is of a personal affect but if I was to get the AZ next Friday I’d be waiting till the end of August (or perhaps end of September if 16 weeks is applied between shots) which all but kills my holiday plans if international travel options open up.

Immunity is one thing.
    The biggest thing for me is when will this immunity be officially recognised and I can achieve a “fully vaccinated” status and a piece of paper or QR code etc in order to allow me unhindered international travel.

I know this issue is of a personal affect but if I was to get the AZ next Friday I’d be waiting till the end of August (or perhaps end of September if 16 weeks is applied between shots) which all but kills my holiday plans if international travel options open up.

I guess you’ll have to wait and see what’s offered on the day?
    But if you’re offered AZ and refuse, how long might you be waiting for another offer I wonder?

I don’t want to be shooting down your holidays plans, as I think everyone could do with a holiday after the last 18 months...
    But are you sure you want to put a holiday above getting the vaccine?
    I kinda hope you are an isolated example, and not everyone is refusing vaccines based on travel plans, just cos it makes the logistics more complicated...

Immunity is one thing.

I lay off that most people will get second shot of AZ at around the 8 week stage. They are already indicating that the 16 weeks will change to a lower figure

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

I guess you’ll have to wait and see what’s offered on the day?
    But if you’re offered AZ and refuse, how long might you be waiting for another offer I wonder?

I don’t want to be shooting down your holidays plans, as I think everyone could do with a holiday after the last 18 months...
    But are you sure you want to put a holiday above getting the vaccine?
    I kinda hope you are an isolated example, and not everyone is refusing vaccines based on travel plans, just cos it makes the logistics more complicated...

No worries. Good points all round.

My travel plans extend to more than holidays though (I should have detailed that)

I’ve family abroad and I’ve also business related travel that would very much require a vaccine cert for fluid travel with less restrictions.

I’ll update here my experience once the jab is complete.

Thanks for the reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Immunity is one thing.
    The biggest thing for me is when will this immunity be officially recognised and I can achieve a “fully vaccinated” status and a piece of paper or QR code etc

Better keep the card safe then, the one with your vaccination details and dates etc .

I lay off that most people will get second shot of AZ at around the 8 week stage. They are already indicating that the 16 weeks will change to a lower figure

Its 12 weeks now
    3 months
    Its not going to go any lower
    Moderna 2nd shot is 3 weeks
    Pfizer 4 weeks

On the question of texting new to turn down an appointment
    Greystones new appointments are taking a forthnight to 3 weeks I hear and that centre is vaccinating over a 1000 a day

Its 12 weeks now
    3 months
    Pfizer 4 weeks

Greystones new appointments are taking a forthnight to 3 weeks I hear and that centre is vaccinating over a 1000 a day

If there is large scale rejection of AZ by the 45-49 cohort the 12 week will be pulled further back.

Slava Ukrainii

If there is large scale rejection of AZ by the 45-49 cohort the 12 week will be pulled further back.

I think thats not going to be too much of an issue,any Astra that has been ordered and the bulk of whats left is needed for 2nd doses
    No new Astra next month as the EU are sueing them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Registered for my vaccine last weds morning May 19th. Got notified of my appointment in AIT on weds this week and vaccinated today..... Pfizer. That's 9 days from registration to vaccination.... not bad I think..
    No side affects... so far so good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Its 12 weeks now
    3 months
    Pfizer 4 weeks

Why are the two Moderna shots only three weeks apart and the others four or twelve weeks?

tanko wrote: »
    Why are the two Moderna shots only three weeks apart and the others four or twelve weeks?

Astra zeneca is a joke , government should dump it now and give those that got it a proper vaccine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Well I got my first Pfizer vaccine today with my GP. In and out in a few mins. I hardly noticed it tbh, after 5 mins in the car I felt a stiffness, but it was only in my elbow...
    Other than that I'm generally grand since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

Astra zeneca is a joke , government should dump it now and give those that got it a proper vaccine

Astra zeneca is a joke

Why?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement