Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it fair to blame the Banks & Government if you cant get mortgage approval?

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Figel Narage

Your average tradesman and his missus could easily buy a house in Dublin by the time he is in his early to mid 20's if he started his apprenticeship at 17/ 18, as long as he has the cop on to save a deposit. How many graduates can say that even 8 years later?

Of course, buying a house with a girlfriend at the age of 24 isn't always advisable IMO as it's a big commitment with a bird when you're very young- point is though it is very achievable.

As for the pension age I can't recall the last time I saw a tradesman over 55 on a big site. By that age the vast majority have long ago ppaid ff the house and are either self employed/ semi retired, plain retired, or moved on to less physically exerting work.

Again...how many graduates...etc.

Another advantage is that it's a sector with SEO rates. Everyone on sites knows the man beside him gets at least X amount per hour. In an office you won't (not only because there are no SEO minimum rates, but because for some bizarre reason most office people won't tell their colleagues what they earn, while lads on site have no issue with it)

That's interesting, how much do trades men make on average by the time they're mid 20's?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Housing market in Ireland dysfunctional last 24 years. Unless a person is asking for ridiculous amounts it is the government's fault.
    We have highest rates in EU.
    We won't repossess houses where no agreements can be reached.Thus we have large arrears
    The banks thus have to keep rates high.
    We only have two banks lending now.
    Essentially we have governments who can run an economy but not provide you with housing or an operation. If I was under 30 I'd emigrate

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

That's interesting, how much do trades men make on average by the time they're mid 20's?

https://thehrcompany.ie/index.php/blog/increase-on-the-rate-pays-for-the-construction-sector/

Rates for fully qualified (after 4 years ), so yes, plenty of lads under 25 on this money.

These, however, don't tell the full story. Most bricklayers would probably hit you a slap if you offered them a paltry 20 per hour, whereas it would be roughly in line for what a lot of chippys, joiners, painters would be getting. Although even at that, some chippys could get up to 30 I'd say. Plasterers are, I believe, usually able to ask for at least 25 in Dublin.

In saying that, brickys might clear a grand take home in an average week, but could find themselves absolutely fooked by a run of consistent bad weather.

Sparks and plumbers have a different minimum rate, I believe it's 23 or so. Plenty, probably most, would be getting far more than this.

Of course, a good proportion of these lads have chronic addictions to gambling, drink, brazzers, cocaine, cannabis, and in many cases a combination of all five of the above. So plenty of them aren't actually all that rich.

Either way, it is all well over 40K gross per year. Plenty of people 10 years out of college in a "good job" would struggle to get 75% of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

https://thehrcompany.ie/index.php/blog/increase-on-the-rate-pays-for-the-construction-sector/

Rates for fully qualified (after 4 years ), so yes, plenty of lads under 25 on this money.

These, however, don't tell the full story. Most bricklayers would probably hit you a slap if you offered them a paltry 20 per hour, whereas it would be roughly in line for what a lot of chippys, joiners, painters would be getting. Although even at that, some chippys could get up to 30 I'd say. Plasterers are, I believe, usually able to ask for at least 25 in Dublin.

In saying that, brickys might clear a grand take home in an average week, but could find themselves absolutely fooked by a run of consistent bad weather.

Sparks and plumbers have a different minimum rate, I believe it's 23 or so. Plenty, probably most, would be getting far more than this.

Of course, a good proportion of these lads have chronic addictions to gambling, drink, brazzers, cocaine, cannabis, and in many cases a combination of all five of the above. So plenty of them aren't actually all that rich.

Either way, it is all well over 40K gross per year. Plenty of people 10 years out of college in a "good job" would struggle to get 75% of that.

I'd completely agree college isn't for everyone and a lot of trades are in short supply and well renumerated but there are other reasons to choose a career. A stable office job might suit someone risk adverse or someone with addiction issues like above. Some people prefer working on computers than with their hands. Not everything is so binary. I love my job, it's stable, suits my personality and skillset and gives me time with my loved ones. It would be someone else's nightmare.

I think the stigma (weirdly) attached to trades will fall away over time and I'd always recommend it to young people as a great career, especially of you've an aptitude for maths/business along with the practical skills but for some people it would be the completely wrong choice.

Money isn't the only consideration in work, generally in any field if your work hard and you've an apitude you can make money. Disregualtion in the housing market may mean you can't buy anywhere reasonable though and we still need certain jobs in certain areas or we will end up like SF, not being able to get cleaners or baristas. Everyone can't be a chippie or builder anymore than everyone can be an accountant. More builders or electricians would also bring wages down through oversupply.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Murph85 wrote: »
    Toilets,plasterers, carpenters and painters etc in Dublin are taking in a fortune compared to most other workers and large amounts of it are cash...

Could you introduce me to some of these high-earning toilets?

I could install several in my bathroom and make a fortune :D:D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

Working on sites is hard work. It weighs heavy on your body over the years. If it rains you generally don't work. It's slow to non-existent over some winter months. It's very tied to the economy. It's not for everyone. You can make good money but then be out of work for extended periods.

I don't know about getting a mortgage at 24 when you can only give estimates of income for the year coming. Can't see it being easy to get a loan unless you have a solid contract, which tends to be on a job by job basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Banks are querying transactions on revolut and other such platforms
    I know one couple that had awful trouble with their application

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I've met people working in office jobs charging at 3.5k per day, and others making 15 per hour, "office job" is not a homogenous group.

Building work is great in the summer though, very healthy, you feel better after a bit of physical work too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Some generalisation in your second last paragraph!!

Advertisement