Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it fair to blame the Banks & Government if you cant get mortgage approval?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Why do some people still pretend housing is not a massive massive problem :confused:

They'll know after the next election, I can tell you that for sure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,655 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

would be curious at what point - and for how long - in the last 40 years, the irish housing market has been healthy. i.e. price rises not vastly outstripping inflation, or falling at the same rate, or sensible interest rates being available? maybe for about ten years of the last 40 or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

gmisk wrote: »
    Jesus that is even worse than I thought it would be!
    An absolute disaster why the hell have FF/FG done nothing?!?

FF/FG created this situation on purpose back in 2011 to stimulate the housing market.

The problem is that it runs unchecked for over a decade.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,655 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they wanted large foreign agencies to come in and stimulate the market, so rental income had to be attractive to entice them.
    the problem is that what suits foreign investors and what suits the irish public have been demonstrated to be at odds.

Varik wrote: »
    Councils are the ones handing out the 20 year deals for these properties.

25 years. And that's an important difference.

At 20 years the investment fund would have to pay the LPT. But at over 20 years, it becomes the Council's job to pay it. Hence 25 years being the default lease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,992 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Why do some people still pretend housing is not a massive massive problem :confused:

They'll know after the next election, I can tell you that for sure.
    There is not a housing problem.
    There's an "I want a subsidized/social house in the city" crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,849 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    Yes and the house prices went up as I was saving too. You know what I did? I kept saving.
    Meanwhile I'm looking at people going into their 30s still living at home with not a penny to their name cos they pissed it all away. Working for over 10 years and nothing to show for it.

It just goes to show how easy it was for people back in the day - a person who was only earning 24k could buy a house on their own!

Basically winning the lottery by being born at the right time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

ELM327 wrote: »

Yeah keep telling yourself that, good man.

As long as you're doing alright you're happy enough I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 irelandpride

It just goes to show how easy it was for people back in the day - a person who was only earning 24k could buy a house on their own!

84,000 off the banks. Get ya some gaff in Dublin haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 irelandpride

So want can someone in Dublin City buy earning 50K a year, just curious?

• Advertisement

That's not the actual issue either. The root issue is uncontrolled population growth. but nobody is willing to bother doing anything about that so...
    Nah we have to pretend that it's not an issue. For some reason.
    notAMember wrote: »
    While I do think it's completely nuts that funds are buying so many properties, I also know some people are using their private pensions to buy property, and rent it to their children. That's a "thing" if you're in your 50's or 60's at the moment. A kind of inheritance tax avoidance mechanism.

So the numbers might be skewed there , depending on what investment funds mean.
    If you use your pension lump-sum to buy it then you're buying it. It's not an investment fund buying it.

The central bank has stated in its plans and in no uncertain terms that it wants to lessen homeownership in Ireland and increase renting. The government is literally the architect of this ‘crisis’ . Its their plan, because according to the central bank renters are more productive.

And it’ll be some craic when we get to pension age and can’t afford the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

thomas 123 wrote: »
    Good thing you had parents with the space for you. The struggle must have been real living off the tit for all those years.

Is your suggestion that all young people move back on with their parents if they have them?

Ye you can do that and buy a house or you can carry on complaining.

I bought the house 3 years ago. Nice job playing the victim though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

fvp4 wrote: »
    Yes if they all, everyone of them, did that - you’d still be wrong.

But the reasons why they can’t afford houses is because housing is unaffordable. This is victim blaming.

This is funny your now a victim if you cant buy a home. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Can't wait to see this all pan out in 20 years. All the educated young folks who 'wasted' their 3 years in college will have moved abroad and settled to pay taxes. Then the government will be reducing the pension and you'll be moaning that back in the 80's the pension was worth a lot more. What goes around comes around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

This is the problem.

Has there been a single government policy that reduced the list price of a house?
    There's plenty of grants and tax schemes to reclaim money (if you meet the means test) but property prices are going up and up and nothing is being done about it.
    This is funny your now a victim if you cant buy a home. :rolleyes:

A victim of the housing crisis?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,528 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Real problem is we don’t have an affordable rental sector with long term rental contracts like every other developed country.
    Not everyone has to or can own a home.

I bought the house 3 years ago. Nice job playing the victim though.

Who is a victim? I'm grand. Save your concern for yourself - you are the one on 24k a year for your total income. Some good advice might be to invest in yourself rather than bricks and mortar at this stage of your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

https://youtu.be/nUFZ1_fC3Kw good video on all this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

I live in a smallish town. I moved back home to my parents and saved every penny I had. I was on 24k a year at the time. I never said it was easy.
    Buying a house has never been easy. You can't have it all, you have to make sacrifices. You can't expect to buy a house in a city on minimum wage. There's plenty of small towns to chose from.

What if you don't have parents? Or your job only exists in an urban area? Or they are unwiling to help?

The argument to move back in with parents is an obviously ridiculous one outside of a very narrow world view. Build more social housing on government land by the council directly. Stop the council renting 3/4 bed semi D's in commuter belts and the prices will drop or at least stabilse until supply can be fixed. This is very basic economics.

And I have managed to buy a house, without having to move back in with my parents but I'm not naive or cruel enough to suggest that makes me better than anyone else, I was lucky with a promotion at the right time and my partner got a break around the same time. I know many people in almost identical situations where one small break a different way has meant they couldn't. Vagaries are not how home ownership should be decided

What if you don't have parents? Or your job only exists in an urban area? Or they are unwiling to help?

The argument to move back in with parents is an obviously ridiculous one outside of a very narrow world view. Build more social housing on government land by the council directly. Stop the council renting 3/4 bed semi D's in commuter belts and the prices will drop or at least stabilse until supply can be fixed. This is very basic economics.

And I have managed to buy a house, without having to move back in with my parents but I'm not naive or cruel enough to suggest that makes me better than anyone else, I was lucky with a promotion at the right time and my partner got a break around the same time. I know many people in almost identical situations where one small break a different way has meant they couldn't. Vagaries are not how home ownership should be decided

You will often find that some of these "self made property gurus" turn out to have gotten sizeable direct and/or indirect help from family.

Who is a victim? I'm grand. Save your concern for yourself - you are the one on 24k a year for your total income. Some good advice might be to invest in yourself rather than bricks and mortar at this stage of your life.

LOL what a snob. I've improved my salary since then. I have a house with very low mortgage repayments and a good car. I live comfortably. I can give you money management tips if you want?

LOL what a snob. I've improved my salary since then. I have a house with very low mortgage repayments and a good car. I live comfortably. I can give you money management tips if you want?

No, as I said you're grand. 24k a year wouldn't have paid for rent in a decent part of Dublin so you were lucky to have your parents to mooch off.

I have everything I need. That doesn't mean I don't recognise a dysfunctional market.

I'm just saying what I did. Obviously you can't do that if you have no parents. Most parents would be happy to help their children get ahead in life. I also saved while I was renting. I moved back home to get me over the finish line.

No, as I said you're grand. 24k a year wouldn't have paid for rent in a decent part of Dublin so you were lucky to have your parents to mooch off.

I have everything I need. That doesn't mean I don't recognise a dysfunctional market.

OK grand, enjoy renting for the rest of your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Ye you can do that and buy a house or you can carry on complaining.

We don't all have parents willing to let us leech off them for several years you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

OK grand, enjoy renting for the rest of your life.

I think SmuggyBear would be a more appropriate username for you :D

Antares35 wrote: »
    I think SmuggyBear would be a more appropriate username for you :D

Well when I tell someone I bought a house on a low salary and they insult my salary instead of saying fair play I'll be smug about it ye.

• Advertisement

Antares35 wrote: »
    We don't all have parents willing to let us leech off them for several years you know.

Your parents wouldn't let you go back home for a couple of years? I don't know anyone who's parents wouldn't. In fact I know some people who never left the house in the first place.

I still had to save 80% of my wages. You think that's easy?

Advertisement